women with 4 last names

So what's the deal with women that have 4 last names. The ones with names like Jane Smith-foster-Williams-Jones. Are they proud of being divorced 3 times? Are they collecting names like baseball cards. What's the deal?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Maybe they were born to hyphenated parents and married someone else born to hyphenated parents and then hyphenated.
    Why don't people just take the name of one, it's just annoying as all hell calling roll.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So what's the deal with women that have 4 last names. The ones with names like Jane Smith-foster-Williams-Jones. Are they proud of being divorced 3 times? Are they collecting names like baseball cards. What's the deal?
    Maybe she devours men and assumes their identity, like a body snatcher?

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a time when there weren't any last names. Now we have way too freaking many for a single person.

Deleted
    yeah really weird stuff, at least merge some of them?? how about smithster Wones?

Deleted
    I like the Nordic system better where if you're the daughter of a man called Anders your last name will be Andersdotter etc.

Are these the poor couples that had silly parents which couldn't decide on a name and now couldn't decide upon one themself?
    Like Cathrine Smith-Baine marries Jack Brown-Berg and form now on they carry the family name Smith-Baine-Brow-Berg.

@Timataketchup: I've beein thinking about something like that myself. I figured carring the names of the parents as family name would work quite well. Your kids would always only carry the mother's and father's first name as their family name. At least from a convention standpoint that seems neat. But I guess it wouldn't sound that good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I like the Nordic system better where if you're the daughter of a man called Anders your last name will be Andersdotter etc.
    dotter huh?

so nordic women kill you slowly?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    dotter huh?

What would you make of the sons of a man called Anders....Anderson....Mr. Anderson

Deleted
    dotter huh?

It's actually "dottir", and it's mostly done in iceland, not so much in the other nordic countries.

I for one never understood the hyphenated thing. Just take one last name, I mean why is it such a big deal? I swear feminists have made us women so self conscious about our social disposition that giving our children their father's last name somehow equates to some kind of assault on our rights. It makes sense for a kid to be identified by the father's last name, seeing as the mother of the child is obvious (he or she came out of her) whereas the father would need some identification. Buuuut I guess logic isn't really a favorite of modern radical feminists.

That is nothing.

I have seen people with 8 last names. Chain together.

Deleted
    The way you described is absolutely ridiculous. The only people with multiple names I know have them because their family is nobility (or used to be). My ex-girlfriend was called De Vaynes van Brakell Buys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    It's actually "dottir", and it's mostly done in iceland, not so much in the other nordic countries.
    It used to be commonplace in the Nordic countries back in rhe day, Norwegians stopped doing it first in the early 20th century because suddenly everyone was called the exact same things. Iceland just keeps on doing it because it's a very traditional country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Do people actually do this? I've never even met anyone with "dotter" in their name. Everyone just takes after their parents' surname(s) where I'm from
    You've probably heard of the suffix "-son" or "-sen", it's the same thing as dotter (=daughter) but instead it's someone's son. Not sure why, but I guess the more and more patriarchal society in the North made "dotter" less popular than "son/sen".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    And then, after a while, you realize that she's actually named Anderson.

And this is our system too: if a father named Kováč has a daughter, she's named Kováčová, which basically means "of Kováč". When she marries a man named Lukáč, her named changes to Lukáčová, which means "of Lukáč".

10+ Year Old Account
    Just search whoever held the longest name, this is what I came across.

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe*schlegelstein*hausenberger*dorffvoraltern*waren*gewissenhaft*schaferswessen*schafewa ren*wohlgepflege*und*sorgfaltigkeit*beschutzen*von*angreifen*durch*ihrraubgierigfeinde*wel yche*voraltern*zwolftausend*jahres*vorandieerscheinen*wander*ersteer*dem*enschderrassumsch iff*gebrauchlicht*als*sein*ursprung*von*kraftgestart*sein*lange*fahrt*hinzwischen*sternart igraum*auf*der*suchenach*diestern*welche*gehabt*bewohnbar*planeten*kreise*drehen*sich*und* wohin*der*neurasse*von*verstandigmen*schlichkeit*konnte*fortplanzen*und*sicher*freuen*anle bens*langlich*freude*und*ruhe*mit*nicht*ein*furcht*vor*angreifen*von*anderer*intelligent*g eschopfs*von*hinzwischensternartigraum, Senior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe+585,_Senior

Yes, the guys last name consisted of 585 letters, and thats not including all his first names.

The biggest question most people would ask of this is... Why..... ?
    #boycottchina

When I was in college we had two teachers that were married. The woman hyphenated her last name and made us all think the dude was a sissy. So he was constantly the target of jokes.

Deleted
    dotter huh?

Not only nordic I'm afraid *sips beer*

They do it all the time here in Spain. Long ass compound names. Both for men and women. Current practice is to have 1 name and the paternal surname of both of your parents.

But in certain more traditional areas they sometimes still follow the old system of adding both maternal and paternal surnames of both parents, and the name of the place of birth, and to have 1 given name and 1 given name chosen based on the patron saint of the day you were born on. They also have compound names, that while they aren't hyphenated they are read together like Maria Angeles or Jose Luis.

A good example is the current Duchess of Alba.

María del Rosario Cayetana Paloma Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Fernanda Teresa Francisca de Paula Lourdes Antonia Josefa Fausta Rita Castor Dorotea Santa Esperanza Fitz-James Stuart, Silva, Falcó y Gurtubay

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    When I was in college we had two teachers that were married. The woman hyphenated her last name and made us all think the dude was a sissy. So he was constantly the target of jokes.
    What? How does her hyphenating his name into hers make him a sissy...I'm confused.

Anyone remember this from Family Matters: Ivanna Diamond-Nicholas-Darling.