Poll: What would you have done?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

I got someone fired for my own self gain today, even though I "did the right thing"

I was at work and witnessed a co-worker stealing soda, which is strictly against the rules. When I confronted him about it, he said that he "does it all the time" and "never gets caught". It was my first time working with him, though he seemed like a fairly average worker overall and a relatively nice guy. I didn't think much of it at first, since it didn't strike me as a big deal.

Not too long after after the incident, it dawned on me that our Loss Prevention team has been offering $100 rewards if you confidentially report a thief. I deliberated for some time about whether or not I should report him, and after consulting two of my confidants, decided to report the incident. I honestly didn't care one bit about the act of stealing soda (if he stole something else, I would have though), I just wanted the money. I can't claim I did "what I felt was right," because that played no part in it whatsoever.

I can't help but feel as though $100 is a small reward for having potentially ruined someone's life (even if only for a short time frame). Even if they arguably "ruined" their own life by making a poor decision. Of course, there's always a small chance that he got off the hook with a warning or a suspension, as opposed to being terminated. What would you have done in the situation?
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-05-25 at 06:41 AM.

More often than not,
    "evil" people aren't witches,
    so remember when they're caught,
    snitches deserve stitches.

-RF

How does one get fired for taking soda? I assume this is in a restaurant with a soda fountain? I've worked in my fair share of restaurants and the most that I've ever seen happen is someone that gets caught like every day for it eventually not being allowed to have a drink with him anymore. Pretty harsh place you got there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming this is true, you didn't ruin his life, he did. Fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    How does one get fired for taking soda? I assume this is in a restaurant with a soda fountain? I've worked in my fair share of restaurants and the most that I've ever seen happen is someone that gets caught like every day for it eventually not being allowed to have a drink with him anymore. Pretty harsh place you got there.
    I'm not certain that he got fired, but they take things like this very seriously and he was still in his probationary/introductory period.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's possible to ruin someone's life by getting them fired from a job that would...well fire you for taking an extra soda. The guy isn't going to be your friend anytime soon, and your $100 in blood money isn't going to make you feel any better about it, but in the grand scheme of things, this all seems kind of petty.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

It was his fault.

Look at it from the bosses' POV. Some dickhead is robbing you "all the time."

Don't know about you guys, but the mere thought of someone stealing from me drives me up the wall.

Lesson learned, don't steal from your bloody employer.

- - - Updated - - -

It was his fault.

Look at it from the bosses' POV. Some dickhead is robbing you "all the time."

Don't know about you guys, but the mere thought of someone stealing from me drives me up the wall.

Lesson learned, don't steal from your bloody employer.

10+ Year Old Account
    $100 is $100...that's almost enough for a night out. Grats. Enjoy.

Out of curiosity, was this person a secret agent or a private military company? And why do they serve soda?

When I was a teenager I was a cook at cracker barrel. They won't let employees drink soda either. You get free tea or coffee.

Which I thought was a little odd, having worked at a few restaurants before that I've never seen such a restriction.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Enjoy the 30 pieces of silver.

Oh look who made the topic. So is this actually real or just a made up story? Care to elaborate on where this took place? I doubt it's a restaurant, seems more like something I would expect in a modern slave colony like wallmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Oh look who made the topic. So is this actually real or just a made up story? Care to elaborate on where this took place? I doubt it's a restaurant, seems more like something I would expect in a modern slave colony like wallmart.
    Since he mentions a loss prevention department......it is probably retail.

Meh, there are other jobs, hopefully he won't be an idiot at the next one. It doesn't sound like he cared about the job in the first place, he probably wanted to get fired.

I probably would've reported him if I kept seeing him do it over and over again, or maybe just tell him to stop doing it. I don't see the point in stealing something you want, especially if you can easily afford it. As for the "reward", I couldn't care less.

The only thing I'd be careful of is what comes around goes around. If the person who you snitched on isn't fired, they'll have a pretty good idea who turned them in, and if you do anything remotely questionable, they'll turn on you in a second. And even if they get fired, they'll probably talk to the people they like at work and he'll tell them who turned them in. Once that happens, people will look at you differently, be extremely careful around you, and probably the same thing as I mentioned. Those people will look for questionable things you do and look for ways to turn you in.

Guy's an idiot for getting caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone at my new job got sacked last Friday for stealing a bottle of perfume and two cans of cola. This job is in a warehouse picking stock for delivery to stores. He nicked £25 worth of stuff and lost a job that pays roughly £200 a week, not the greatest amount of money but was it worth losing it over £25 ?

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    The only thing I'd be careful of is what comes around goes around. If the person who you snitched on isn't fired, they'll have a pretty good idea who turned them in, and if you do anything remotely questionable, they'll turn on you in a second. And even if they get fired, they'll probably talk to the people they like at work and he'll tell them who turned them in. Once that happens, people will look at you differently, be extremely careful around you, and probably the same thing as I mentioned. Those people will look for questionable things you do and look for ways to turn you in.
    Or just wait until after work one night and give you a kicking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    Since he mentions a loss prevention department......it is probably retail.
    Seems he's a man of many jobs (or none, you decide.)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ut-my-schedule
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Ok, I am a little confused here, are you a student.....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post25561054

Fast food worker....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post25405591

Work for the US intelligence service....

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post26400366
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...7#post26531347

Or do you really work in an amusement park? I am getting quite confused here.

Sounds like a company that ends up losing money more than just trying to prevent inevitable thievery. The cost of replacing someone and dishing out $100 on the basis of stealing 50 cent soda can? Doubt it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well we live in a society that condemns thievery and reporting thievery and other crimes. You rightful did the wrong thing.