Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    the other games simply lack in the most simple area: server-client control hence delay / not fluid moves and reactions. Blizzard has proved that they invent this before even thing of any content. Seriously I never even get to see the content and gameplay of those games because in the first few minutes I suddenly feel how bad my character reacts, how clunky the engine is and how much delay I have when I push a button....

Blizzard has done it, even in their RTS it's the major factor of success and noone else could ever do the same.
    Private servers are able to accomplish the same thing, so there's nothing special about Blizzard. This is 10 year-old technology, nothing that another company wouldn't be able to improve on if they wanted to. If this is really a problem as you say, and other companies are not improving on this as you say, makes me wonder if it's really a problem - sounds like just more rants from a Blizzard fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I admit half the reason I still play RS at all is all that time invested in it. I only managed to quit WoW for the longest time by giving away all my gold. Else it feels like quitting just wastes that effort you put in (even though you know deep in your heart it was already wasted anyway.)
    I played FFXI for 7 years, almost half of which was at the same time as WoW. When I finally realized that I wanted to switch my focused attention to WoW instead of simply playing it on the side, I had to quit FFXI, as there simply isn't a "casual" option in that game, or at least there wasn't in 2009 when I quit. Anyway, I ended up having to delete my character and my account. It was the only thing I could do to pull me away.

Less than a month later, I was happier for it and have been much better at managing and limiting my time on these games since. Sometimes it's better to completely sever a tie that's holding you back, especially one with no physical existence, ha.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    Having to start from scratch again, with no contacts, no economy, no clue about what the different zones are, where to go - all the stuff that is common knowledge with WoW, is just gone. It's a really tough effort getting all that setup in another game, and I think many people like me just fall off before even hitting half-way, you go back to what you know, where your friends and knowledge lies.
    That's pretty odd. To me at least, the best elements of gaming are the ones of surprise and / or self discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    IMO most new MMOs do never dod what WoW did right back in 2004. By that I mean movement and control. Nothing ruins my MMO experience more than slow character response and slow turning. WoW did it right 10 years ago and it is rare to come across a modern MMO that feels the same.

On top of that, WoW felt intuitive from day one which is something most other do not achieve either. WoW is aimed at ease of play with challenging depth if one chooses. Other MMOs are either too simple or too complex again rarely does one reach that balance. When one does it suffers in other areas too much to be worth it.

From day one WoW was solid in all areas and has only improved each expansion. Yes they have had many years to get things right but the sad fact of that argument is that many of the things they got right shipped in 2004. Most of the new MMOs fail to do the basics that WoW set as standards wrong.
    I agree with you.
    Bad character movement/gameplay it's the first think to turn me off a game.
    Just tried Wildstar and it feels like GW2 to me. Not applealing.

WoW still a great game.

Deleted
    Why not try out an older MMO, have you tried UO on a free shard? for example UO Supremacy? look promising

I tried Final Fantasy and Wildstar and the biggest innovation in both seems to be turning combat into some kind of Quicktime Event minigame. After years of learning how to position myself with just a mouse, it's a big disconcerting to have to hit some kind of back/strafe button to move out of a big telegraphed attack. Come to think of it, Neverwinter did this too but with a shield/parry/block button instead.

Of course WoW does things like this, churning smoke where Annihilate is going to appear, Rapier extra action to block Vertical Swipe... but it's not how every single fight has to work. That kind of gimmick got really annoying after a while. I much prefer a WoW style game of juggling my rotation and procs over some kind of Temple Run game of left right jump duck.

WoW being about ten years old brings a number of refinements and polish that the game didnt have at launch or even up until WotLK that many new titles dont have the advantage of including experienced staff dealing with bugs and tuning along with UI features and overall player experience. If you scratch out a lot of the features that players tend to focus on and look at other aspects like described above then WoW wasnt so great early on. It wasnt horrible as a number of other games are, but it took many years for the developers to get a number of things down that developers dealing with a new game just dont have at least yet. Even with SCII and DIII each game had its launch issues including with system tuning issues. Nobody is perfect including Blizzard, but at least they are not EA launch quality.

Time invested does help keep me into the game over others, but its not just the time invested that keeps me playing, I truly enjoy playing WoW. Lately I have had to stop reading many of the threads here because a lot of them seem to head down the same path of crying. I think it is so stupid some people will delete their account over some of the issues they cry about. Just stop your sub and when the game becomes something you enjoy again re-sub, or don't maybe our community does not need players like you any more. I prefer to play with people who still enjoy WoW, who will go on a new journey over the bumps, around curves and adjust, and in time if there is a part of the game that just does not work out, I am sure Blizzard will address the issue.
    I want to enjoy my time reading the forums and checking out the latest news, I don't care for all the crying.
    Back to the topic of this thread. I have played FF-ARR, Wildstar, ESO, and SWTOR. ESO was the only one I really did not enjoy at all. The rest have good qualities, especially Wildstar, but at the end of the day I find myself back at "home" on WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Wildstar has another issue for me, it strained my eyes due to too many things going on at once. You know that fullscreen effect you get from a quest in one of the first zones? That was awful. I felt drained after playing, and my bf even got a headache from it. I didn't spend much time there due to this.
    Have to just Echo this. I got bored early, but another factor was my eyes just got killed because of absolute rainbow attacking me. Hard to sit and look at for long.

Time spent and people I know both factor in, however I think my loyalty is a bit lower than the average visitor to these forums. Since the Cata launch I've been pretty quick to drop WoW if I get bored, and I've enjoyed the time I spend in other MMO's.

I will say that a lot of them missed the boat as far as keeping me though. Games like Aion and FF14 that did not give me a satisfying leveling experience at launch from 1 to max, for instance. GW2 for forcing me to run a group dungeon to finish the story is another. Other games, like SWTOR and ESO just didn't have the level of quality gameplay required to keep me playing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

No there are good alternatives to wow. The problem is that the wow playerbase just tries them out with no real motivation to leave wow in the first place. The new mmo is just something to do while players wait for new wow content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    Rift had plenty of new innovative ideas when it launched, some of which wow has since assimilated (very badly) into itself. Same goes for every other MMO.

Claming a new mmo has to be "different" to be successful is the reason why they fail. People dont like change. Hell for the first 2 months of SWTOR all people did was bitch because there wasnt a group finder for instances...
    I still want to turn off my armor in WoW. If I want to PvP bloody naked, then I should be able to!

More to the point, I'm currently waiting for WoD to launch. So I'm trying out ESO and WildStar to fill up my time.

7+ Year Old Account
    So I just came back into WoW (been playing since Vanilla) after taking a month break to try ESO. I absolutely admire the Elder Scrolls games and I just fell in love with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. But.. then ESO came out. Here's me thinking "Awesome! Take a break from WoW and try an online version of my favorite series!" And oh my god did I hate it. I enjoyed ESO at the beginning but honestly it's SO buggy and a lot of quests aren't completable. The PvP was a huge joke imo, and I found that a lot of quests were quite difficult and frustrating. But the entire time I played, I kept thinking to myself, and the same as many of the responders to this thread, how I would constantly compare ESO to WoW.
    So even playing my absolute favorite game series still hasn't quite lived up to WoW. And here I am again!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have abandoned WoW for Star Wars had they decided to actually do what Damion Schubert promised. Create complex PVE content and have mods and macros. That's all I needed and I was done with WoW for good. Instead they got lazy and decided that the overly vocal anti-mod douchebags were the folks they cared about. Every "WoW-killer" typically has one game changing mistake that dooms it from the outset. As much as I want Wildstar to succeed I can't help but feel that the limited action set will be that flaw.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Felt much the same till Wildstar....at lvl 20 the game just keeps getting better and better, the other games I played felt rushed and had no end game! Wildstar suffers from none of this....it's the complete article!
    Don't think no game could kill WOW, it's doing that fine by itself, if you need refreshing game content till WOD ? go check it out.
    I feel the same about wildstar, and when WOD comes out sure i will try it for 3 months and leave for good this time i think. Why? because this time around wildstar will be the first best choice for me playing a new better MMO then WOW. WOD will be a time sink time to time nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    No, there's lots of fun MMOs out there.

However, most people are too invested in WoW or simply too much of a fanboy to give any other game a chance or any credit.

Lots of people go under the idea that popularity = objective quality, which isn't really true.

I got bored of WoW and unsubbed, and I played Rift for a month. Completely free to play and you don't have to spend a penny on it to get good or play the game properly.

The community is also very nice compared to WoW, some guy saw me running around on foot, asked if I was new, and gave me a mount and some very large bags to carry my items in.

Honestly, try other MMOs, you either enjoy them and find a new game to play, or it gives you a better appreciation for WoW.

Personally, I just pre-ordered Wildstar, as it looks like a very exciting game.

It's not WoW killer or bust remember
    calling people fanboys because they play the most polished MMO on the market (and one of the longest lasting titans of the mmo market) is a little silly. I have finally quit WoW because I absolutely hate a lot of the design direction that has been taken since wrath and have been hating the lore since end of wrath/beginning of cata. I've played MANY other MMOs out there and actually started with the original Guild Wars. I think most people play WoW because it's where a TON of people started, and the warcraft universe has been massively popular since its inception in the early 90's. I will definitely concede that there is far more choice out there but ultimately most people are just too invested into WoW to start up a brand new grind in another MMO that either copy/paste's WoW's design (wow clones) or tries miserably to innovate and fails (such as Guild Wars 2, but I'll need a flame resistant suit to avoid all the retarded fanboy bashing that's about to ensue for saying so).

My best advice is to just pick the game that's best for you and try to go with something you enjoy, don't waste your time coming here to this forum listening to people spout trash about how much they hated WoW and how bad of a game it is when in reality it just wasn't to their particular liking and they need to grow a pair of balls and have the masculinity to just up and say it wasn't their cup of tea instead of bashing one of the greatest MMOs ever to be created. And for the record, I am VERY critical of blizzard in many aspects, but I'm also not so blindly stupid as to deny that WoW is one of the biggest video game successes in history for a reason.

WoW is a great game but with that being said it's only great because so many people have dedicated their MONEY to allow them to make it so. In my opinion it's really hard to move on from WoW because of time and friendships that were established through YEARS of playing so moving to another game is frankly annoying although Blizzard is making this choice easier with a total disregard to the WoW community. I unsubbed a week ago because I realized that paying a subscription was enabling them to do as they pleased so for now I'm gonna give Wildstar a shot. But as so many of you have said "play what makes you happy cuz it's your time!!".

New MMOs aren't really that bad. Its just most people on this world of warcraft fansite don't have anything nice to say about its competitors. Most gamers aren't mentally mature enough to be okay with someone who has a different opinion than them, and they also have a hard time being genuinely objective.

Deleted
    I tried out quite some new mmos such as guild wars 2 for example, the game was great and i thought it was a lot of fun i actually thought i was about to quit until i found out that there was no end game and the only ''end game'' were basically some lame dungeons that weren't even fun which is subjective obviously and for the pvp, who thought it would be a good idea to get last stand instead of healers? people who complain about healers clearly haven't played GW2 pvp, it's all fun until you face 2 people that both get in last stand but their dmg is too much because last stand damage is insanely high, so these are big issues i had with GW2 and with other games such as Wildstar, their combat system is horrible, the rest is fun though

10+ Year Old Account
    Other MMOs get the combat responsiveness wrong.