Poll: Should WOW as a sub based game release more content than Free to Play games?

Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Should WOW as a sub based game release more content than Free to Play games?

I have been playing around with Rift and SWTOR again. It seems ever other time I log in I am downloading a new quest line or special boss or something.

WOW on the other hand does nothing.

Free games seem to pound you with content while WOW a sub based game has discontinued 100% of all development. It appears they will cut development for 12 to 14 months.

That is a long time for the development to develop nothing. 14 months of subs and the devs have not even modified a single pixel.

They are developing all the time, they just aren't releasing the content till the expansion is ready. You make it sound like the devs are doing noting while we wait for WoD, which isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I have been playing around with Rift and SWTOR again. It seems ever other time I log in I am downloading a new quest line or special boss or something.

WOW on the other hand does nothing.

Free games seem to pound you with content while WOW a sub based game has discontinued 100% of all development. It appears they will cut development for 12 to 14 months.

That is a long time for the development to develop nothing. 14 months of subs and the devs have not even modified a single pixel.
    Because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    There is continued work, with bug fixes and connected realms.
    Plus they are actively working on the expansion.
    If you want to go play something else, then go do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

people are underestimating how timeconsuming (game-) development is.
    the only thing blizz could/should do is to have the early/mid content patches running for a longer time before releasing the next patch.

Deleted
    Quality > quantity

Deleted
    Depends on the quality.

You know, technically speaking one of the reasons they need to come out with so much (hint: a new quest pack for $4.99 isn't actually so much in comparison to WoW) is because their revenue solely relies on people buying these new things. Some of these F2P games couldn't survive if they released a TON of content (for the price they normally charge obviously) every X months like a patch in WoW would have.

Not more content than free to play games per se (that's a lot to compete against, especially if you're also expecting quality content). However I do expect realistically enough content to keep people busy while they're working on the next batch of patches/expansions. Which is to say, more content than they're offering right now.

I would not mind the model they've suggested of annual expansions, even if the expansions are as expensive as WoD. Provided, they drop the current monthly subscription model. For me at least, annual expansions, with an added subscription cost (per account) will become far too expensive to manage. I can tell you right now that I will not pay over 50 USD a year, along with 15 USD monthly for any single game. :P

But i cannot see Blizzard releasing expansions annually any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    They are developing all the time, they just aren't releasing the content till the expansion is ready. You make it sound like the devs are doing noting while we wait for WoD, which isn't true.
    If I want WoD I will pay the $50 for it. I understand development is underway for a future video game. I am discussing their current video game MoP. I do not understand wholly abandoning support for your current game that people pay $15 a month for.

We are not talking 8 or 9 or 10 months with nothing. We are talking about 1 year and 2 months of nothing.

It seems like Blizzard double dips us. We need to pay $15 a month for a year and change so they can develop WoD, then we need to turn around and pay them $50.

$50 with no game time even. That makes WoD $5 more expensive then any new MMO on the market.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard should pump out more content at a faster rate. There is no real room to debate that. These droughts at the end of expansions are intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Blizzard should pump out more content at a faster rate. There is no real room to debate that. These droughts at the end of expansions are intolerable.
    Says the armchair expert.
    Go work for blizzard, go improve their development process.
    Then come back to us and tell us how you achieved this wonderful thing once you have actual knowledge and experience of working at blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    We need to pay $15 a month for a year and change so they can develop WoD, then we need to turn around and pay them $50.

$50 with no game time even. That makes WoD $5 more expensive then any new MMO on the market.
    What do you mean "We need to pay"? I canceled my subscription till 6.0 hits because there is nothing interesting for me to do in WoW now.

If you don't want to pay 15$ a month or even 50$ for WoD, you don't have to. Blizzard, as any other company out there is here to make money. They think people are willing to pay a monthly sub and pay for expansion. If you don't agree with that, you don't have to continue to play the game. It's that simple.

It should release higher quality, more polished content than F2P MMO's, and it does that by miles.

It's one of the only MMOs that doesn't seem to be in a perpetual state of open-beta-but-still-calling-self-released.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It should release higher quality, more polished content than F2P MMO's, and it does that by miles.

It's one of the only MMOs that doesn't seem to be in a perpetual state of open-beta-but-still-calling-self-released.
    Maybe people do not see the low polish in F2P because they are not playing that particular content too long.

5.4 was a really long time ago. The fact that we are exactly 50% done with 5.4 content bums me out.

Deleted
    Stop feeding the thief .....All cancel subs till Warlords

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Says the armchair expert.
    Go work for blizzard, go improve their development process.
    Then come back to us and tell us how you achieved this wonderful thing once you have actual knowledge and experience of working at blizzard.
    Actually for the most part the view point at blizzard is that if you are paying a sub you should be getting regular content updates. I can assure you that there are plenty of people working there who are unhappy that there is a content drought right now.

Just stay unsubbed until there's new content? That's what I do. No need to complain. Contents were released at good pace throughout MoP. Only downtime for me is end of the xpac.

Yes they should, just don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    F2P games need to keep people in the game so you buy more stuff. WoW just needs to bait the hook enough so we stick around and give them money until it drops.

Would I like more content for WoW? Yeah, I would.

Would I want them to develop more sloppily just to get it out faster? Hell no.

Posting a poll with such a horribly loaded question is pointless.

However, I do agree WoW release nowhere near enough content