Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Racism and Opinions..

I really feel for a need to discuss this with people and hear some opinions and just have it thrown at me if I'm actually right or not.
    Now I've discussed these topics with a few people and now I'm kinda fed that I'm getting negative response back as if I was trying to be rude.

Example 1: Opinions.

If you listen to a song on say .. Youtube, right? Am I supposed to have the same right to describe my own opinion on the song as someone that say likes the song? And I'm not talking about being rude towards the singer however just expressing my opinion on the song, not the singer and if it's the singer I usually make sure to direct my issues with that singer, not him however his singing talent. I feel I get alot of negative feedback, people say : Stop hating, stop being a jerk, you're deaf etc when ever I give my opinion on a singer that .. doesn't fall in my taste. So my question is, am I the one on the wrong side expressing my opinion and just becasue it's a negative one it means that I'm being rude and that I shouldn't leave me comment... OR are people totally overreacting and thinking just becasue I don't agree with the bigger part of the community I am being idiot, jealous, jerk, hater or you name it...

Because it has gotten to my nerves as it seems the world has become a place where you're either supposed to agree with the bigger part or keep your mouth shut and that litle part called a "Own Opinion" is not worth anything. I mean feedback is feedback, right? I'm yes complaining at the feedback I get, but that's because it seems like it's wrong to give feedback.. Messy..

Example 2: Racism..
    I just don't get this. Racism started on not liking a race, or having something against them. However that's not always the case. A good friend is black, my girlfriend is asian and my best friend is from Iraq. I have mulitcoloured friends all over the world and I love them all .. However, soemthing that has had me bothered, is when I discussed something with some people.. The topic was " Do you have anything for "Chinese, Blacks, Arabians or Indians etc and it went on like that".. Now I don't have anything against, those races, nothing at all... However! I was being judged down just because I said that I'm not into, "Blacks, Indians and Arabians.. ". They already started judging me and telling me that it's racist. We were arguing about how that was racist.. I mean I have nothing, absolutely nothing against people from whatever country they are unless they are douchbags, but then racism wouldn't count it. But does it mean that I HAVE to find girls or boys from that place attractive?

Either way, that's how the discussion went on and I'm kind of curious on your guys opinions....

To 1) Am I not allowed to leave my feedback, just because negative feedback .. negative? Meaning that I'm not allowed to leave my own opinion? This actually goes for everything, somewhat it seems to be okey to leave negative feedback on some shop, or pizza such as dominos or even pizza hut, but as long as it's a singer or somewhat people judge you and call you jealous.. ( I'm not sure many of you have experienced this, but I have and it's bothering me)..

To 2) Am a racist just because I don't feel seually appealed to a person that is not of my ethnicity? Regardless of me not having absolutely NOTHING against other races.. I just feel that the society is almost making it look like, if I don't like this I am wrong and have a have disturbed thinking..
    This can also work on the same topics curves/skinny. Why like the one over the other. Am I no longer allowed to have a opinion?

Okey guys, if you kinda understood what I am going on about please tell me..

Cheers

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Don't comment on Youtube videos.

It's not racist if you're genuinely not attracted to their skin color. It's racist if you assume you're not attracted to them because you believe having x skin color means they'll have y and z personality traits.
    Yeah, but it's not just "Youtube" this happends literally all over the place. If I have a negative opinion on something people call me "Jelly".

How would that play out. I can't explain it, I don't feel appealed to them. Say with my black friend he can go on and say, she's hot and I will disagree because I don't feel appealed to black women, or arabian etc.. But I absolutely have nothing against them, nor will I judge them different. It's just that I don't feel appealed to them and if that means that I'm a racist just becasue I have a OWN opinion, and not being racists against them, just having my own opinion makes me racists it kind of feels odd..

1) People will get angry if you say you don't like something that they do. It's how it's always going to be. I'm like you - I tend to not agree with the majority so I either keep my mouth shut, or if I feel compelled to say something I don't take it to heart when they call me stupid for my opinion.

2) Everyone automatically thinks "racism" when you say anything against any race. So you don't think some people are attractive ... that is totally fine.

Stop caring so much about what other people think of you. It'll drive you crazy.
    Last edited by Sugarpuff; 2014-05-27 at 05:27 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirulon View Post
    1) People will get angry if you say you don't like something that they do. It's how it's always going to be. I'm like you - I tend to not agree with the majority so I either keep my mouth shut, or if I feel compelled to say something I don't take it to heart when they call me stupid for my opinion.

2) Everyone automatically thinks "racism" when you say anything against any race. So you don't think some people are attractive ... that is totally fine.

Stop caring so much what other people think. It'll drive you crazy.
    Exactly, but it feels so wrong to have to stay shut because some part of the majority are like that. It's wrong?

Yeah, I should do that, but.. Am I a racist? That is my question, or am I just having my own opinion, which should be right? I'm not judging them, I'm not looking down upon them, I just have my own opinion, right? I know that others opinion shouldn't bother me, yet I kind of feel that people will just judge and go with the flow and that "Racism" has gotten that far that you're not even allowed to have a own opinion without being .. racist. I mean shitloads of them don't usually date white guys, or whatever it should be and I'm pretty sure it's not because they're racist.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to explain it. If you just don't find the skin color attractive, that's not a problem.
    But why does something like a own opinion make me a racist?

Everyone has a right to their opinions but that does not mean you are not going to be judged for them. Which is kinda funny in this case because you are upset about people leaving you negative feedback. If you are willing to do it to others you need to be willing to accept it from others as well. If you cannot accept it you maybe need to rethink doing it.

I personally don't find black girls attractive.

My friends and I suffered a little at a strip club one night because it was a slow night and when the black women came up to dance we all sat down at our table. A couple more black dancers came up to the stage, we still sat. From then on, nobody got to the stage to dance so we left.

Totally different story, but I feel your pain OP.

People can be morons (all people, myself included). They say idiotic things they don't mean or that don't make sense. You can either try and correct them or you can just brush off what they say.

That being said, if a Youtube video wasn't to your taste what is the point in commenting? You don't gain anything other than negativity.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Everyone has a right to their opinions but that does not mean you are not going to be judged for them. Which is kinda funny in this case because you are upset about people leaving you negative feedback. If you are willing to do it to others you need to be willing to accept it from others as well. If you cannot accept it you maybe need to rethink doing it.
    That's why I meant it's kind of .. messy.

I didn't mean that people aren't allowed to give me feedback, but the feedback they give me is feedback on feedback. My feedback was on singers, videos etc. However these feedbacks were on my feedback, almost as in not allowing me to have a opinion on something and therefor they usually suspect I'm jealous or rude.

As in " I am allowed to review or give feedback to everything as long as it's not a human being such as singers, as soon as I do I'm a hater ".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    People can be morons (all people, myself included). They say idiotic things they don't mean or that don't make sense. You can either try and correct them or you can just brush off what they say.

That being said, if a Youtube video wasn't to your taste what is the point in commenting? You don't gain anything other than negativity.
    I'm leaving a feedback. However it seems if I do so, I am going to be judged by all as a "hater". Do you see my issue? It's not just youtube, it can be everything tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you give us an example of one of your comments, then we might be able to better judge why people react in the way they do.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If you give us an example of one of your comments, then we might be able to better judge why people react in the way they do.
    Usually say a singer I go on like this..

"I didn't really like his new song, it gives a false impression of him, he usually uses a more darker voice rather than a light voice and I don't really find that a good choice, however it might be that others do enjoy it, but for me it's a bad choice.. However, he's still a good singer overall, just didn't like this song. "

It usually goes along those lines, I'm not rude, I try to be polite, and don't judge the singer however the song he's singing. I usually explain details a bit more but this was merely a example. I might add things such as "Auto-Tune" if that's on the new song etc.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't. There's no requirement to know what you're talking about before speaking.
    I just wish more people shared your opinion on this, it's almost like I can't have a opinion on what girls I feel attracted to before becoming a racist in some peoples eyes. I feel this has gone to far with .. racism.

I think you care too much what people on the internet think. I think the word racism is used as a divider, I have heard it so much that it carries very little meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orukmeta View Post
    I personally don't find black girls attractive.

My friends and I suffered a little at a strip club one night because it was a slow night and when the black women came up to dance we all sat down at our table. A couple more black dancers came up to the stage, we still sat. From then on, nobody got to the stage to dance so we left.

Totally different story, but I feel your pain OP.
    I understand you as well, I think a strip club full of white girls is a waste of money (no asses, anorexic, throwing their hair around like a helicopter). You can be sexually selective because you're the person that has to put your dick in them, not anyone else. If they call you a racist, tell them to piss off!
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

10+ Year Old Account

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I think you care too much what people on the internet think. I think the word racism is used as a divider, I have heard it so much that it carries very little meaning to me.
    It's really not just people on the internett, but however what people outside think.
    Yes! That's my thoughts on it! Perfect description of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seme View Post
    If we're all created eqaul and are supposed to respet that, then we should respect I have my own opinions the same as you have your opinions. Eqaulity doesn't mean I should have someones opinion or rather be pushed down or even forced to like something so I wont be jugded by others. It's funny to see that we started with this to give everyone the same rights while we end up judging people for exactly the opposite..

Never liked the argument that not being attracted to someone with a specific skin colour makes you racist. So long as you don't actually think less of said person (or make various stereotypical assumptions) as a result of their ethnicity, it's no different than preferring any sort of physical attribute.

When I think of "right to an opinion," I think of "here's what I have to say, whether you like it or not. After I post my opinion, I'll be moving on, please don't respond."

If your goal is to just get information out there then that works well. However, if your goal is to persuade others, or have an equal footing conversation you will need to approach the situation differently. I know it'll sound a bit weird, but for people to care about your opinion, they'll need to respect something about you. If you come off with a negative undertone, they'll see that and not your message and respond in kind.

All in all though, you're free to post your opinion and you won't get punished for it, that's a pretty good life. Everyone may be entitled to an opinion, but they're not entitled to be respected for them. It's just a little give and take. Sometimes freedom equals compromise.

Also, why does it matter at all what kind of women you're interested or not interested in? I thought you were dating someone already. That's all there has to be. "I'm already in a relationship, I have no opinions on any other women."
    Last edited by Asaya; 2014-05-27 at 06:32 PM.

the part with calling you idiot, jealous, jerk, hater is normally said to people who are^^ I don't know what you have been comenting on, or who, but there is a diffrence with "stateing your opinion" and "hateing".

You don't like a song? "I don't like the song", vs "This guy is retarded and ugly as fuck, he can't even sing" (even though he can). Both say the same things, and if your opinion would be that "he was ugly" is that something you feel the need to say? And lets say you do say "he is ugly as fuck", and i know he is known celebrity who is extremly good looking (as in majority agree that he is), then you are most likely "Jealous, hater". (I have no idea how you present your negative feedback though so i'm not saying that you have been doing it wrong, just gave silly examples).

As for the racism, people throw that around all the time and too much. I don't think that you are racist for not being attractive to X trait, but i think the majority can agree on that.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Physical attraction is a tricky thing. There are lots of things that factor into it and some of it is subtle influences you may not even know that have affected you over the years. Personally a person's skin color is the least important thing to me. It does matter quite a bit to others for a variety of reasons. Based on what you've said I don't think you need to worry yourself sick that you're racist.

If you're really that concerned my suggestion is do some introspection on the matter. Ask yourself about "the one" that personality that would absolutely click and write those personality traits down. Don't even think about physical traits yet. Once you're done there take a look at the list and ask yourself if it would matter if a woman of color who had those traits and was into you made a difference. It helps when we stop thinking about the outside so much and start thinking about the important stuff.

As for YouTube comments my advice is this. Say what you think. Be honest and be civil and reserve your inner Harlan Ellison for only the most egregiously stupid comments. (Note that this is still a trick I'm working on myself)
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post

Exactly, just ignore it and move on. Thumbs down if any response at all

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaya View Post
    When I think of "right to an opinion," I think of "here's what I have to say, whether you like it or not. After I post my opinion, I'll be moving on, please don't respond."

If your goal is to just get information out there then that works well. However, if your goal is to persuade others, or have an equal footing conversation you will need to approach the situation differently. I know it'll sound a bit weird, but for people to care about your opinion, they'll need to respect something about you. If you come off with a negative undertone, they'll see that and not your message and respond in kind.

All in all though, you're free to post your opinion and you won't get punished for it, that's a pretty good life. Everyone may be entitled to an opinion, but they're not entitled to be respected for them. It's just a little give and take. Sometimes freedom equals compromise.

Also, why does it matter at all what kind of women you're interested or not interested in? I thought you were dating someone already. That's all there has to be. "I'm already in a relationship, I have no opinions on any other women."
    My goal with that is to share my opinion. I'm not there to debate, if debate sure I can go into depths what I actually liked or what I didn't like. However that's not how it works. I give my opinion, they bash me, not my opinion. You see my problem?

Yeah, that's the part I find rude, where I usually respect other people opinions, however they don't do the same.

It was a "Hypothetical Question".. we guys asked eachother.