Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    What idiots these days think is racism is not racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people often misinterpret the term "racism". Racism is belief that people of one race are inherently better, more worthy, should have more rights than people of another race. It doesn't have anything to do with personal preference or feelings. Dating only white girls is not necessarily racism. If you don't date black girls because you think they are unworthy of it and they are all bad and boring, then it is racism. But if you don't date them because you haven't met a single one which you would feel strongly attracted to - it is not racism.

With the pace political correctness develops, soon "I'm looking for a girlfriend" will be considered discriminating of males.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Am a racist just because I don't feel seually appealed to a person that is not of my ethnicity?
    Not automatically, but I think you should exercise some introspection. It doesn't make much sense to declare that the vast, vast majority of people alive cannot possibly be attractive to you regardless of their physical fitness, sexuality, personality, education etc. Like, pick a race, and I'll link half a dozen women that are fucking gorgeous, and if you say, "nah, not for me", I'm not going to call you a hateful bigot or anything, but there pretty much is some sort of racist underpinning behind that. For instance, if you turn down this girl because she's not white, I'm skeptical of your non-racism.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

With the pace political correctness develops, soon "I'm looking for a girlfriend" will be considered discriminating of males.
    That is discrimination. By definition to discriminate between two things is to differentiate between them. It's like the term "indiscriminate killings", they don't care who they kill. By contrast a discriminate killing would be precise and targeted (an assassination). So yes, looking for a girlfriend is discriminating between males/females. But I don't see the fuss about that, it's just your sexuality. It's out of your control. The issue comes up when, for example, it's someone looking for a job and gets discriminated based on their race. That is wrong. In the end, discrimination is a far more technical and neutral term, and there's far more nuance involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not automatically, but I think you should exercise some introspection. It doesn't make much sense to declare that the vast, vast majority of people alive cannot possibly be attractive to you regardless of their physical fitness, sexuality, personality, education etc. Like, pick a race, and I'll link half a dozen women that are fucking gorgeous, and if you say, "nah, not for me", I'm not going to call you a hateful bigot or anything, but there pretty much is some sort of racist underpinning behind that. For instance, if you turn down this girl because she's not white, I'm skeptical of your non-racism.
    Black skin is unnatractive IMO.
    Link doesn't open here for some reason, but I don't find black people attractive because I like pale people.

If you find that ''racist'', it's your problem. (not directing this to you, but as a whole).
    This ''oh my gawd, he/she is a racist :'(" is being overplayed too much.

It's hard to say. There's nothing wrong with preferring one thing over another, whether it be skin color, hair color, or eye color.

However, it begs the question when someone says "I don't find black people attractive." Why? Black skin is not inherently unattractive, the features of another person from another part of the world are not inherently unattractive. Racism is not something people are born with. And neither are preferences. I have to assume that one's upbringing and to a certain extent what they consume daily through the world media affects what they find attractive. This can be unlearned of course.

Now back to what i said earlier about preference not being a sin. It is not, but it absolutely bizarre that you find another race completely unattractive to you, I've seen immensely attractive people from ALL ethnicities. So, yes it is weird that you find a race unattractive.

A good analogy I've heard:
    Say you are a teacher, you have a classroom limit of 30 and you currently have 29 students. The administration leaves it up to you to decide between two children on the final student. One is black and one is white. Now say they are completely identical in every way. Now the teacher decides upon the white child because they "prefer the white child's skin color." Do you think you could explain this fairly to the black child's parents without an outrage? Anyway...

In the end I think the question is why don't you find certain races attractive. I think it goes beyond looks. Whatever the answer is, I doubt you could explain it to someone as "not racist."
    Last edited by swantonist; 2014-05-28 at 02:13 AM.

I feel this kind of shit is just tactless and stupid.
    The argument should be presented as, "I have not found a person I want to be with like that yet"
    I really don't think people are that sad that they see color as a bigger factor then personality and I think if the rite person pops up, shit would change.

If people are legit, only able to see skin as the reason to deny someone, yea maybe then they should check why it's so scary, but I really don't think there are a lot of those around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swantonist View Post
    In the end I think the question is why don't you find certain races attractive. I think it goes beyond looks. Whatever the answer is, I doubt you could explain it to someone as "not racist."
    It's not racist, well it's the easy way out.
    I think it's more xenophobia related because xenophobia allows it self to be applied to every facet? Maybe that is an easier way to explain why a not racist person still is put off buy a person not like them.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    If people are legit, only able to see skin as the reason to deny someone, yea maybe then they should check why it's so scary, but I really don't think there are a lot of those around.
    Not being attracted =/= Scared.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a simple way to tell.

Ask them; "Tomorrow, you fall in love with a girl who's <insert ethnic group here>. Is this in any way a problem for you, or cause any kind of conflict?"

If yes, their reasons are racist. If no, then it's just aesthetic. If they say "but I would never", then the answer is probably "yes" but they know how that sounds, and they're trying to create a smokescreen.

As a for-instance, I'm straight. If I had to answer the theoretical "if you fell in love with a dude, would you avoid your gay feelings?" the answer would be "no". I'd have to realize I wasn't actually straight, but was at least bisexual. And that's okay. The only reason I say "I'm straight" is because I've never had any inklings or murmurs down the other road, not because I have any opposition to it. It would make my life simpler, in some ways (supportive family, I could totally be a bear, etc).
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-05-28 at 03:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That is discrimination. By definition to discriminate between two things is to differentiate between them. It's like the term "indiscriminate killings", they don't care who they kill. By contrast a discriminate killing would be precise and targeted (an assassination). So yes, looking for a girlfriend is discriminating between males/females. But I don't see the fuss about that, it's just your sexuality. It's out of your control. The issue comes up when, for example, it's someone looking for a job and gets discriminated based on their race. That is wrong. In the end, discrimination is a far more technical and neutral term, and there's far more nuance involved.
    OK, let me put it this way: there is discrimination between, and then there is discrimination of. Discrimination between the white and the black is simple acknowledgement of the fact that they have different skin color, they have different historical cultures, they have different average annual income - this is not racism, this is acknowledgement of the facts neither the white nor the black should be shy of. However, discrimination of the black (or the white, for that matter) is putting them as a special group, utterly different from all other groups. When you say, "I think black people are generally bad because...", you claim that they have some core property which makes them unique, and, as such, they need special treatment, whether a better or worse one than that of other races. Now, this is what racism is all about: it is the opinion that a whole race is tainted by something they all inherently possess. This is, of course, BS: there are many bad and there are many good people in any race. However, for example, in the US just 50 years ago people with black color skin were treated as second class citizens, there were special laws strongly favoring everyone else before them. There is no reason to condemn people like this simply for their skin color: even if you are not attracted to black people, even if your personal experience with black people have been bad (we all happen to be unlucky sometimes) - you shouldn't treat other people bad in advance, before you know who they are and what they are, not what skin color they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Don't comment on Youtube videos.

It's not racist if you're genuinely not attracted to their skin color. It's racist if you assume you're not attracted to them because you believe having x skin color means they'll have y and z personality traits.
    Youtubo comments, whatever, do as you want and think. Freedom of speech is absolute in my opinion, you can damn well say whatever the fuck you like (see what I did thar). If that offends someone, tough nuts, get over it.

I second the statement on attraction
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Youtubo comments, whatever, do as you want and think. Freedom of speech is absolute in my opinion, you can damn well say whatever the fuck you like (see what I did thar). If that offends someone, tough nuts, get over it.
    You get that your stance on freedom of speech applies to people replying as well, right? Yes, someone has carte blanche to be as racist as they like; people that reply to that equally have the right to say, "hey, you're a racist piece of shit".

15+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to say. There's nothing wrong with preferring one thing over another, whether it be skin color, hair color, or eye color.

However, it begs the question when someone says "I don't find black people attractive." Why? Black skin is not inherently unattractive, the features of another person from another part of the world are not inherently unattractive. Racism is not something people are born with. And neither are preferences. I have to assume that one's upbringing and to a certain extent what they consume daily through the world media affects what they find attractive. This can be unlearned of course.

Now back to what i said earlier about preference not being a sin. It is not, but it absolutely bizarre that you find another race completely unattractive to you, I've seen immensely attractive people from ALL ethnicities. So, yes it is weird that you find a race unattractive.

A good analogy I've heard:
    Say you are a teacher, you have a classroom limit of 30 and you currently have 29 students. The administration leaves it up to you to decide between two children on the final student. One is black and one is white. Now say they are completely identical in every way. Now the teacher decides upon the white child because they "prefer the white child's skin color." Do you think you could explain this fairly to the black child's parents without an outrage? Anyway...

That's a horrible analogy. Appearance should have no meaning in how a teacher treats students, but it's a very important part of attraction. Of course picking based on skin colour causes outrage in that example, it should. It should NOT cause outrage when it comes to sexual attraction.

I will agree that black skin is not "inherently unattractive" but then, nothing is. We all have different preferences in height, weight, facial features, body features, eye colour, hair colour, muscle mass, and many other different things that make up someones appearance, one of those being skin colour. Saying it's racist to have skin colour preferences is as ignorant as saying it's sexist to not be bi-sexual.

In the end I think the question is why don't you find certain sexes attractive. I think it goes beyond looks. Whatever the answer is, I doubt you could explain it to someone as "not sexist."
    See how completely asinine that is?

It does not "beg the question" of anything. People should NEVER have to justify their sexual preferences to anyone in fear of being labeled racist, sexist or anything else. This attitude infuriates me to no end...

Deleted
    Commenting on a single Youtube video is commenting on one particular thing you have experience with. Saying that you're not attracted to non-white people period is saying a whole swath of people you have had no interaction with are unattractive by virtue of a single defining characteristic (i.e. their skin colour).

P.S. Arabia isn't a country and it isn't populated by Arabians, the term is Arab peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    But why does something like a own opinion make me a racist?
    If you hold a bunch of racist opinions, you're a racist. I don't see why that would be even slightly ambiguous. It's simple cause and effect- you hold racist opinions because you're racist.