Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Your impressions about Rogues

Hey guys,

I a few months ago I was reading this site and saw a poll asking: "What Class is Your Main Character?"
    Today I went back to that poll to see the results and saw that Rogues were one of the last class that got voted, only been ahead of Monks, but since monks are kinda new it's reasonable that they got the last place.

My question is what's the reason you wouldn't play a rogue, it can be anything.

My main is a rogue and I really enjoy it, but I like to think I'm a very unusual player since I don't really like PvP and I don't really care about the numbers so... the main reason that I still play as rogue is because I like the role-play of been one.

The main reason I don't like rogue is because all of the specs feel to similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'm like you and I don't really use them for PvP either, much prefer PvE. My fave class, have two Rogue mains; started as one four years ago, she's still a main and then added a second Horde Rogue main. Some people need flashy stuff to suit them so maybe it's boring to them. Me, I love the stealthy, assassin/special agent/thief with a quick pair of daggers in her/his hands. The quiet planning observer, the one in the background you didn't see coming, that's me all over. And slower weapons bug me, I like speed and quick decision making more than slower weapons or flashy spells. Love love love the whole SI:7 and Ravenholdt thing. (Why they kill off Fahrad... /sad) Was thrilled when I realized that Ravenholdt was neutral and my Belf was sent there as well.

[Rogue sis/brofist]
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-27 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Personally I'm like you and I don't really use them for PvP either, much prefer PvE. My fave class, have two Rogue mains; started as one four years ago, she's still a main and then added a second Horde Rogue main. Some people need flashy stuff to suit them so maybe it's boring to them. Me, I love the stealthy, assassin/special agent/thief with a quick pair of daggers in her/his hands. The quiet planning observer, the one in the background you didn't see coming, that's me all over. And slower weapons bug me, I like speed more than slower weapons or flashy spells. Love love love the whole SI:7 and Ravenholdt thing. Was thrilled when I realized that Ravenholdt was neutral and my Belf was sent there as well.
    High Five Bro!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yeah... I played for years as assassin and now I changed to sub, I gotta say that it didn't change that much LOL.

I think they're pretty fun to play (though upkeep moves like slice and recuperate hinder it somewhat) but the lore/fantasy/magic nerd inside me can't get past their lack of power. On paper they're basically just thugs, meanwhile you've got other classes that have all this power. I'd be willing to bet the reason rogues are always near the bottom in popularity is because they aren't interesting on paper, and because they're one of the hardest classes to play well. Warriors and hunters aren't interesting on paper either though, and they've always been popular, so it's probably the precise playstyle more than anything. I'll say this though, rogue would've been my main all along if I didn't care about power.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    The quiet planning observer, the one in the background you didn't see coming, that's me all over.
    The coward who waits and only attacks when they know they can win.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    I remember when leveling my characters via pvp, only time I'd see a rogue was when there was more than 1. I have each class at 90, my rogue is one of the classes I dislike playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    U mad bro? That seems like it's being smart, not cowardly.

As for me, I love Rogue, it's my favorite class, I ALWAYS play the stealth/assassin/sniper archetype in games that have it. Always always always. There's a certain thrill about ambushing someone and/or killing them when they're unaware, GAH it gives me such a raging nerd-boner.

Rogues made a name for themselves in Vanilla, they were "the" gank class. Most newcomers to WoW just couldn't handle them in PvP. They were both feared and hated by most other classes.

In TBC they were generally a very popular class because of how well Blizzard had developed them. They were strong in PvE and well represented in PvP, especially in 2s (which was a very popular bracket).

In Wotlk however, they felt lackluster compared to other melee classes. In WotLK I tried a DPS Warrior in PvE, I instantly rerolled because of how underwhelming my Rogue felt. Some of the changes to heroics didn't help, the absence of CC in dungeons and raids meant that other classes that usually had to hold back could do a lot more button bashing, Warriors could use WW in heroics, casters could AoE/Multi-dot and Rogues could... use FoK... and I even remember that being on a CD.

In PvE many other classes became more fun to play, Rogues didn't. Can't really comment on PvP because I quit during S5.

I retired my Rogue in WotLK, and I haven't been back to him since, I feel like he has had his day.

The sneaking around/hiding thing is not my playstyle. Warrior has been my main since Classic. When I'm coming for you, you fucking know it.

I level capped my Rogue in Wrath. I do have to admit, that class is where I had the most fun on a PvP server. So many tools to escape potential gankers. Also plenty of opportunities to get free PvP kills. But still...as I said, that's not really my style.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-05-29 at 03:11 PM.

I guess being a mischievous and elusive bastard doesn't attract many people. I love it.

Deleted
    I like being a stealthy murderer.

Deleted
    Alot of classes have stealth nowadays, permanent and temporary versions.

All the other classes got a version of something we had, on par, or stronger. The class was ripped apart in MoP, taking existing abilities and required mechanics and shoving them into the talent tree.

Our burst windows have been made worse, we hit like a wet noodle outside of cooldowns and in PVP, we get hit hard.

I still love my rogue, and i like being the elusive ganker. But i cant help but feel that other classes can now do what we do, but better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Hunters are worse

- We only have one role, and it's the one role in least demand for multiplayer content (melee DPS).
    - We lack AE at lower levels.
    - We start every expansion weak because our DPS scales dramatically with equipment, especially weapons. This expansion might be the one to reverse that trend, as they're reducing the influence mainhand weapon damage has on our throughput.
    - Our class was the first one Blizzard devs felt they "got right," so we experience the least mechanical change and improvement. If you want a reliable class, that's a plus, but reliable is boring. Being in the control group means you never get the good drugs.
    - Speaking of boring, our attack animations are not awesome. We have less flash and sizzle than the other classes (partially by design,) and while the devs have confessed that it's a problem they'd like to solve, they've never offered to actually solve it. Animating a character is a lot more work than designing new spell visual effects, so I can't really fault them not wanting to do the work. It's even harder to justify because we're the least played class.

Finally, we're the worst fit for the content from a conceptual standpoint. Multiplayer content is where it's at, big frontal assaults, but we're a surgical strike class. There's no room for scouts and sneaks when all the best content is about showing up fully briefed, dossiers and blueprints in hand, kicking down the front door and butchering everything. The rogue character concept Blizzard is trying to push on us has no place in that environment.

Deleted
    I like the rogue idea. I like the stealthy play style so much so that nothing else appeals to me. I like playing a scout in battlegrounds, picking my fights, watching objectives, choosing when to strike, being able to control objectives and enemies to support my team.

Slowly rogue control has been nerfed over time, and that's ok, but other classes control has improved. As a result, rogues have lost their niche. With the exception of stealth (and even other classes are starting to adopt it) any other class can do what a rogue can, but better.

The rogue design at the moment feels sloppy. Areas are bandages and hotfixed but never receive a proper, initial fix. They just get a damage buff or nerf and told to move on, and then over time class changes happen based on those bandages. That doesn't necessarily mean that rogue damage or viability is poor, but overall, it just feels sloppy and a poor design.

To give you an example:
    Problem: Combat rogues kept capping energy, this made them feel like they were loosing damage
    Cause: Rogues were regenerating too much energy as a result of haste scaling. This issue became more prominent as gear scaling and numbers on gear increased in later tiers.
    Solution: Increase the cost and damage of sinister strike.
    Side effects: Rogues energy regeneration sucks without haste on their gear.
    There are numerous other sloppy examples. My opinion is that this was not the correct fix. Haste scaling should have been fixed to prevent this problem in the first place.

We are also the only class that has positional requirements and weapon requirements, because of lore and flavour. Again, poor design.

Rogues always felt like more work for the same output in many situations. I like it sometimes, but screwing up always seemed to carry a larger debt with rogues than other classes, so it was more stressful.

Many of the rogue toys that make it distinct, like shadow step, pick pocketing, vanish, lock picking and poisons all go through phases of variable usefulness. If you liked one of those things on the list and played since BC you've had your favorite thing not work or be counter productive.

This is an opinion from playing my rogue now years ago, but many rogue players would have had to survive through that time period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuromega View Post
    My question is what's the reason you wouldn't play a rogue, it can be anything.
    The only time Rogues were popular was back when World PvP was popular in Vanilla and Rogues were the most OP class in the game. Since then Rogues have been nerfed into the floor on many occasions and when that happens Rogues lose players.

That said, the main reason Rogues r not played by many people is their lack of versatility. They have 3 specs and all of them are melee dps. This only gives Rogues 1 purpose within a raid, or even within an arena team. Other classes have the advantage of being able to switch spec and therefore give themselves far more usefulness to the team.

Over time more and more players have seen this and consequently their mains have become something that is not Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwaite View Post
    Hunters are worse
    They really aren't.
    The three hunter specs have much more variation than the three rogue specs.

>Use short CD nuke abilities,
    >Maintain long term dot, use procs for bursts of damage
    >Use long CD nuke ability, build charges for second nuke

Rogue specs:
    >Use CP generator, keep up SnD and Rupture, use direct damage finisher+CDs
    >Use CP generator, keep up SnD and Rupture, use direct damage finisher+CDs+keep up revealing strike
    >Use CP generator, keep up SnD and Rupture, use direct damage finisher+CDs+Use blindside procs

How on earth Blizzard, or anyone, thinks rogues are in a better place than Hunters is beyond me.

Deleted
    Rogue was my main for a long time but quite frankly they sucked too much in the first patch of mop that I simply could not enjoy the game.