Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    But doesnt everyone in Europe dislike the EU in some way at the moment?

I haven't heard anyone saying somthing positive about it since the we have the Euro as a currency and especially not since the Northern countries had to give "free money" to the southern countries.
    Even the people who voted in favor of the EU in the elections last week only seem to do so because they feel they have to because there is no way back anymore.

Oh and on a silly sidenote; isn't it funny and ironic that Germany seems to be top dog in Europe now :P ?

As someone who lives in the uk I gotta say just because you vote ukip doesn't mean your racist I would have thought that most people like me have no problems with skilled foreigners coming to live and work here what we don't like is the sheer amount of people who come over here because our government is so easy to scrounge off, also I cant speak for everyone but what made me want to leave the eu was the amounts of hoops we had to jump through to try and deport Abu Hamza because even though he apparently hates us all and preaches support for terrorism the eu think we are breaching his human rights by deporting him

10+ Year Old Account
    Darn, I would have called this as a Nakura Chambers thread.

Anywho... maybe you'd turn people off of being "anti-immigration" in the UK/EU if you informed them one of their political points now aligns very closely with that of the Tea Party and Republican establishment in the US.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razzapool View Post
    As someone who lives in the uk I gotta say just because you vote ukip doesn't mean your racist I would have thought that most people like me have no problems with skilled foreigners coming to live and work here what we don't like is the sheer amount of people who come over here because our government is so easy to scrounge off, also I cant speak for everyone but what made me want to leave the eu was the amounts of hoops we had to jump through to try and deport Abu Hamza because even though he apparently hates us all and preaches support for terrorism the eu think we are breaching his human rights by deporting him
    You mean the sheer amount of immigrants which has been -dropping- quite significantly for some time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Its not so much to do with the UK hating Europe, its more the UK hating on Brussels or the EU. We want tougher border controls which we have no control over unless we leave the EU. That being said, Brussels could change that but the won't budge on it, or didn't want to up until now. Since the rise of UKIP and other Anti-EU parties, the EU have started to realise something needs to be done. I was voting for UKIP but then realised that much of their party is focused on JUST immigration so far, and nothing else, which spells disaster imo. However, I disagree with people calling UKIP voters racist. I am certainly not a racist and in fact have many friends who are from different ethnic groups and have no problem with them what so ever.

Imo, if we had tougher border controls, much like Australia, we would see the EU hatred slowly fall. But that's just me.

While the borders are part of the problem, the other part would be the whole benefits system. People scrounging off it and not even attempting to try and find a job has probably caused even more friction with immigrants who come here. I heard it all the time when I was there, young kids who couldn't be assed to even try get a job sitting there blaming every immigrant under the sun.

If the EU suddenly decides to do something about immigration regarding tougher border controls, I think people will go back to labour/conservative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    I think I'm glad that I got out of the UK 6 years ago, and saddened that a lot of people (not the majority, but a sizeable number) are actually fooled by the immigrant scapegoat dangled in front of them by the likes of the UKIP.
    If the British public believes that the country's problems will be solved by clamping down on immigration, they're in for a rude awakening. Particularly considering that immigrants from within the EU contribute more in the way of taxes and national insurance, than they get out in the form of benefits etc. Which is more than can be said for native Brits.
    I am in the UK I am not British, I came here to work for a big tech company, I couldnt agree more with this, the amount of british people on benefits is staggering, its even better when you hear about those gems, where the mom and dad have been on benefits all their lives and the kids are also on benefits and never had a job. But hey, its easier to blame the polish, romanian, <insert non british nationality> next door than to admit that the country and its own native citizens have got massive problems with people not wanting to do shit and being on benefits.

Add to that the fact that the UK government essentially doesnt give a shit about investing and developing any areas outside of greater London and this is the result.
    Last edited by mmoc3bea1d4ff7; 2014-05-28 at 09:31 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    Thoughts?
    I think anyone that believes the rubbish being thrown around by the BBC and the Guardian around UKip is as delusional as the people who voted for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You mean the sheer amount of immigrants which has been -dropping- quite significantly for some time?
    This is exactly right, look at the places that did vote for UKip:

Thirty-six per cent of the new Ukip seats came from a tiny number of councils – four in Essex, one in nearby Havering, and others from Rotherham, Portsmouth, north-east Lincolnshire and Newcastle-under-Lyme. Some of the places where Ukip support was highest have barely any migrants.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...s-9433295.html

and I have to add this quote again because it tells you all you need to know:

party spokesperson Suzanne Evans has uttered a sound bite Ukip would probably rather forget.

Discussing the party's relatively poor performance in London on Radio 4, Evans seemed to agree with the host that they had difficulty appealing to the "educated, cultural and young."
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2014-05-28 at 08:54 AM.

Deleted
    This thread and the replies in it basically show why UKIP got alot of votes: The Daily Mail. People are churning out the same lies about 'benefit scoungers' (both British and foreign) that don't correlate with the evidence AT ALL. People blame EU migrants for lowering wages, whilst seem unable to comprehend that its the employers who set the wages, those who pay you nothing so they take everything. Next you'll probably hear how 'UK is full' whilst only 2% of our land is built on. Or about 'health tourism' when there is no such thing.

UKIP = Daily Mail readers. Most people didn't bother to vote, but with all the vitriol you can bet the UKIP voters marched down there with their anger based on lies. Voting for the 'ordinary' private-schooled, millionare stock broker whose made a fortune in EU expenses. The Euro & local elections is where we have traditionally protest voted. The BNP got a surge in 2006 in the same way but died out soon after. It is what it is. We won't leave the EU because that would be catastrophic.
    Last edited by mmoc47d1b95331; 2014-05-28 at 09:01 AM.

They didn't win in Scotland, thankfully we are a bit more open minded and not as isolationist as England. I guess that's why we will leave the UK in the end, too many core differences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    Well that has been their mistake. Everything is more expensive now for them. Video game costs €40 euros? Ok, so that means it costs £40 in the UK too then. And it's the same like this for many imported goods, food, cars, petroleum. They're just getting charged as if their pounds are only worth euros by the international market now.
    Not true at all - just checking things like the Blizzard store or any other online game / shop. The prices in £ and € are no where near the same (unless we are talking actual value...) - For a month's WoW subscription you pay €12.99 in Europe, whereas I pay £8.99 (which at today's exchange rates is €11.09). The prices for the subscription does not fluctuate like the currency market however, so sometimes we pay more, sometimes we get it cheaper.

Is Google getting harder to use?

Deleted
    I like Europe, but i'd kindly like them to GTFO of England unless they can bring something useful to the table.

Who doesn't hate EU?

Deleted
    UKIP win on 30-odd percent with labour only inches behind, suddenly the UK hates Europe?

Sorry have I missed something? The pro-eu parties still retained a significantly larger vote overall.

If you think UKIPs majority of votes came from anything but a number of sun reading, economically ignorant xenahobes then you've been grossly misinformed.
    Last edited by mmocd12d3b42be; 2014-05-28 at 09:31 AM.

Deleted
    I'm really disappointed they won. People voting for them do it more as a protest vote as they hate immigrants and dislike the other parties. I'm dreading them in the next general election as they are getting alot of support from alot of ignorant people that don't even look into the policies they support other than the immigration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    I like Europe, but i'd kindly like them to GTFO of England unless they can bring something useful to the table.
    You have absolutely no idea. I mean none.

Trying to discuss/explain economics and politics on MMOC for the most part is like trying to teach a dog to fasten its own lead and collar.

Deleted
    It boggles my mind that Wales actually elected a UKIP member to send to Europe when Wales is a biggest recipients of European grants and funding! Frankly, we need it in some areas because London wouldn't spend a single fucking penny further North than Birmingham or in Wales if they thought they could get away with it.

Deleted
    I don't think the UK hates Europe just the current EU.

Im from Sweden and I think the Uk may be the most important part of the EU for countries like mine. They main complain and moan at the EU but without countries like the UK the EU would have no one that could stand up to it.

Seems to me roughly a quarter of Brits voted for UKIP. Doesn't that mean that 75% is still (somewhat) for the EU?

the EU has done more harm to the west than Hitler did with all hes bombs, statues can be rebuilt are nations had a stronger sense of self after hes attacks and mothers held the sons tighter for all the losses they suffered.

the EU is divisive it destroys national identity it bashes weak economy's till mothers have to kick there sons out to find work in another country. it promotes the most backward concept in history something that was and is going to lead to mass genocide in maybe 100 years multiculturalism.

as far as i am concerned the commission of the EU should all be put on trial and executed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiawase View Post
    It boggles my mind that Wales actually elected a UKIP member to send to Europe when Wales is a biggest recipients of European grants and funding! Frankly, we need it in some areas because London wouldn't spend a single fucking penny further North than Birmingham or in Wales if they thought they could get away with it.
    8 million people live in London; 3 million live in Wales - get over it.