Lightbulb Heroes of Might and Magic III - Remake of Outland

Update 1: Second Image added at the bottom of the post.

Hello! In between the time im playing WoW and studying I've got pretty stuck to my long time childhood game HOMM3 (Heroes of Might and Magic III) and are currently playing it alot, together with a friend of mine.
    I've always loved creating stuff, like playing Minecraft, creating WC3 maps and so on so I thought I might give this a shot aswell in the HOMM3 Map editor.

This is basically a map of Outland (TBC, not former Draenor that we will be known to in WoD) and I'm trying to get the "spirit" of WoW into the game while still using things that only HOMM3 can. Please be vary that I will use words that might only be known to HOMM players.

Here is a image of how it looks right now:

The Random Castle of the left is Garadar and the Conflux town is Shattrath which is a city you can conquer but you can't build anything in it. It only has Capitol and a Marketplace. And the passage you see is the road between Zangarmarsh and Nagrand with the Elemental Plateau (not Throne of the Elements, due to lack of space) right next to it.

In the top right of the image you can see the layout of the whole map, this map should be pretty familiar to you (it's Outland duuuh).
    All of the towns and quest areas form WoW cannot be included because of lack of space, but I'll try to incorporate the most important places.

Some concept I will be trying here is:

1. Factions:
    Yes there will be Horde and Alliance. All the Horde towns are a team and all the Alliance town are a team. This will cause PvP between the different teams/factions which is the greatest thing in HOMM, PvP.

The Horde can choose between the following towns:
    -Stronghold
    -Necropolis
    -Inferno
    -Dungeon

And the Alliance can choose between the following towns:
    -Castle
    -Ramparts
    -Tower
    -Fortress

I'm still unsure about what to do with the Conflux town, 'cus I don't like to have both being able to be the same town (like Pandas can choose between Alliance and Horde in WoW)

The Horde starting areas are the following:
    -Thrallmar
    -Garadar
    -Thunderlord Stronghold
    -Shadowmoon Village

The Alliance starting areas are the following:
    -Honor Hold
    -Telaar
    -Sylvanaar
    -Wildhammer Stronghold

Note: The town you choose does not affect which starting area you will start in.

2. Instances

The underground layer of the map will be instances which must be entered through the instance portal in the overworld. ("on the normal places")

These following instances will be added:
    -Gruul's Lair (Gruul as end boss)
    -Coilfang Reservoir (Lady Vashj as end boss)
    -Hellfire Citadel (Magtheridon OR Kargath Bladefist as end boss)
    -Tempest Keep (Kael'Thas as end boss)
    -Black Temple (Illidan as end boss)

To unlock the Black Temple instance you must collect all the different keymaster tents from each of the other instances, like an attunement.

To encourage PvE as much as PvP, there will be a special win condition to slay Illidan inside Black Temple. If he's killed - you team wins.
    PvE will probably take much longer time to win than PvP, which I want it to be.

Instances will reward relics (the best artifacts), itemsets, alot of experience and resources. Currently I haven't thought about how to design them other than some bosses guarding a wall which leads to next boss and so on, will probably implement something more exciting when I start developing them.

3. Quests
    Yes this engine is already in HOMM3. You can do quest to gain rewards in from of experience, resources, troops, artifacts, skills and so on. Basicaly I will just incorporate alot of quests throughout the world and have hubs like my newest hub, Zabra'Jin (Zangarmarsh), where alot of quests will be available. I might incorporate instance quests aswell.

Let me know what you think! If you have any experience with HOMM3 or something similiar, please come with suggestions on how to make this map exciting. All other suggestions are of course welcomed!

/Typhod

Please not that this is WORK IN PROGRESS, the picture you have seen is nowhere close to done!

Update 1, second image. a brief overlook of what's "done". Thist is only structure and terrain placement, which will be tuned later on, I will get the overall stuff done before going any deeper.

Last edited by Typhod; 2014-05-30 at 04:46 PM.
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

10+ Year Old Account
    My two favourite games combined sweet.

I haven't played heroes in ageeees though.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The concept sounds really fun i want to know more

About the conflux side ( elementars) if you want to put thens in the map you could make them replace the eternal (cant really remenber they name).

Im curious how will you do the "pve" side what creatures will you use to represente the diferente bosses, or maybe you can create your own creatures trougth a 3rd party softhware ( no idea if this is possible just speculation.

On a side note, of all HoMM the 3rd one is my favourite due to the amount of factions and creatures.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Thats very cool.

I to have played HOM3 alot inn my younger years, and also got it installed now playing randomly inn periods off maybe 1-2 weeks once a year or so.

...All the other HOM just blows compared to the 3'rd. I try understand why one off my mates likes playing the 5th game, but I don't get it...besides better graphics obviously, rest are lacking from what I played it.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

can you script instances to respawn encounters each week? haven't really used the map editor much

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    can you script instances to respawn encounters each week? haven't really used the map editor much
    You cant. Respawn was introduced in Heroes 5 I think, and even then it was three months.

can you set up ambushes with boss fights instead that trigger every time someone steps on a tile, or will they trigger only once? just so you can allow both teams to do them, but i guess that wouldn't fit in homm that well

Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    can you set up ambushes with boss fights instead that trigger every time someone steps on a tile, or will they trigger only once? just so you can allow both teams to do them, but i guess that wouldn't fit in homm that well
    Events are possible to create on specific tiles on the map, such as ambushes and random resource find/loss. Haven't quite decided how to create the instance fights yet as I'm still creating the world on a large scale. Instances will be looked at when I'm satisfied with how the terrain and the structures look throughout the world.
    I've temporary finished Hellfire, Zangarmarsh and half of Nagrand. Will update with more pictures soonish.
    *chills*

wow this is really cool, ill be following you for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if u posted here to get cheers from us
    Here my /cheer and /encourage for you
    And add me to list of ppl waiting for final product

Haha this is an awesome idea. Will definitely check back in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroes III... A game which made me skip school classes.

Anyway, what you're doing is incredible! Nice to see the best turn based strategy ever still has devoted fans.

Updated with a new picture. Having finals week right now so most of my time is being consumed by books, numbers and equations and less on HOMM. Anyways, just wanted to show.

Please note that being able to play the map is the first priority therefor I can't make the terrain exactly like it is in WoW due to balancing of staring areas and such.
    Last edited by Typhod; 2014-05-30 at 04:51 PM.
    *chills*