Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dumb Luck, Complete Accident, or Corporate Greed?

So, we were made no guarantees before it was announced, BUT, we were told there would be some epic unlocking taking place in 6.1 BEFORE it was put up for sale.

November 8, 2013 - WoD is announced

November 13, 2013 - Bashiok has to clarify "no-flying" and explain about the legendary type quest to unlock flying in 6.1

March 10, 2014 - LvL 90 boosts are sold to get people hyped about WoD ($60 each)

March 21, 2014 - WoD Pre-Orders are available on the cash shop ($70 each)

April 26, 2014 - Bashiok backpedals about the no-flying concept changing the information from "unlock quest" to "we'll see".

So, you are correct. No promise was made PRIOR to the announcement. Semantics aside, they never actually said "We promise" to any of the above either. But considering their timing with the announcements AFTER they had almost 5 weeks to bolster their earnings statements for the next quarterly report, we then get handed the news "Ooops. We mean no flying at all... probably." I don't care which side of the fly/no-fly argument anyone is on. If someone does not call that bullshit, they are likely just as greedy and hypocritical as Blizzard when it comes to low, underhanded stunts like this.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We intend to disallow flying while leveling from 90 to 100, and have flying become available again in the first major patch for Warlords of Draenor.

we feel like we can extend that for a bit longer in the new content, and have it be kind of a big deal again once you're able to earn flying in the first big content patch

we really like when flying feels like a reward and something you've earned for each new expansion or area. It's such a powerful ability and we look back at BC (at least for epic riding) or Wrath and those were really big keystone achievements for us as players (mainly because they had some pretty huge gold costs on them...). Regardless of the unlock method though it was one of the bigger moments when you unlocked flying, took to the skies, and were able to see the world from an entirely different vantage because for most of us it wasn't easily attainable. Our plan has been to recapture some of that but make it a bit cooler
    Source

Then, In April, after Boosts and pre-orders went on sale:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

In Draenor we're designing max-level content, portions of zones or zones in their entirety that will be dedicated to max-level gameplay-and not just the top of a cliffside, or some dailies in the Vale. There's a harsh change in how the game plays between leveling, and when you hit max level. Hitting 100 and instantly switching everything you do to raiding or Arenas is pretty abrupt, and we want to try to keep that questing experience available at max level with something more robust than daily quests. We don't think having all of that content inside buildings, or constantly challenged by sky cannons, or with magical no-flying smoke, or within some kind of dismount bubble is the most straightforward or best solution to the ultimate issue in that World of Warcraft is not a flight sim, and that's just not what the content of the game is about. Even at level 100 there will be no small portions of the game world intended to provide relevant content even to max-level players. These zones may even unlock over the course of the expansion, or the content in them will progress in story and scope throughout content patches. Content has to be designed with the expectation that there either is or is not flight, and approaching ground-level content from the ground offers more compelling gameplay. Raids, dungeons, and PvP continue to disallow flying for this same reason.

In summary: It's important to us that we integrate max-level questing into the expansion more thoroughly than designated daily locations on mountain tops, or only have the option of releasing new max level content in magically appearing islands where flight has different rules because reasons. We also know that being able to approach content that's on the ground from up in the air compromises much of what creates the game world, how it's played, and how it's consumed. The game experience is fundamentally altered when you can lift off and set down wherever you want. And lastly, that we're not intending to slow anyone down, and we're going to make sure that players can get where they want to go efficiently through more direct flight points, and potentially alternate travel methods.
    Source

No promise was made PRIOR to the announcement. Semantics aside, they never actually said "We promise" to any of the above either. But considering their timing with the announcements AFTER they had almost 5 weeks to bolster their earnings statements for the next quarterly report, we then get handed the news "Ooops. We mean no flying at all... probably." I really just want to know if it was dumb luck, a complete accident with the timing, or corporate greed to earn some interest on 1M pre-sales and several thousand boosts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we just lock the no-flying thread? Take this shit to one of your many other threads

10+ Year Old Account
    To their eyes, flying is not an integral part of their game-play decisions. Only minor in their eyes.

Their way of profits and how they did there level 90 boosts and pre-orders is not connected to their decision about flying.

Is this guy the new Jaylock?

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying too hard.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Yeah, well.
    To bad, theres a flying and a no flying crowd, impossible to please everyone, this time your opinion lost, deal with it its not a democracy.

oh wow, seriously? none at all now huh. well, i was hoping to come back eventually. but hell no, not after this.

Deleted
    New and interesting thread from you.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD pre-orders are not 70$ each, you can get them for less then that, why are you only listing the max price of everything, and not including the free 90 boost you get for pre-ordering?
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    WoD pre-orders are not 70$ each, you can get them for less then that, why are you only listing the max price of everything, and not including the free 90 boost you get for pre-ordering?
    Can i get it for 10 bucks ? Because to use that "feature" i have to delete a charracter bcz mine account is full
    Basicly i do not need "free" boost so if it cost 60$ why should i have to pay more than 10

Dear lord, how many threads about flying do we need?

392 pages of one and 42 of another and they are all mostly you spamming and yet you create another thread.

Additional no-flying threads should go die in fire with millions new that pop up every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Can i get it for 10 bucks ? Because to use that "feature" i have to delete a charracter bcz mine account is full
    Basicly i do not need "free" boost so if it cost 60$ why should i have to pay more than 10
    If its free its worth nothing therefore expansion still = 60 dollars. You can choose weather you use it or not

Quote Originally Posted by raviadso View Post
    Dear lord, how many threads about flying do we need?

392 pages of one and 42 of another and they are all mostly you spamming and yet you create another thread.
    I've had enough of him, really. When he deleted his WoW accounts I thought he would hush up, but he just doesn't stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    You have 50 level 90 characters?
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Superman grow up. All of your post are so obnoxious and ridiculous. If you quit wow then shut up and stop posting.

yeah i could see WoD looking like da poops this is why I didnt pre purchase something 6-8 months out because who knows what the final product will be(people should use this judgement for anything you prebuy that isnt final). People got milked and bought Wod pre purchase on a whim hopefully they still like what it looks like at release. Once it releases and If I enjoy what I see then I'll buy it. Otherwise I'll wait until 6.1 to see if flying does return if not then cy@ wow.

Instead of a legendary type quest, why not increase the cost to fly in WoD, by alot, and I mean alot by at least 500 000 Gold++++, if people wants to fly so god DAMN badly, they should pay almost insane amount of gold for it. At least they "get" to fly, for a nominal fee Would probably crash the in game economy or what not though.

Why do you keep saying "semantics aside" when you're focusing on semantics?

None of the above.
    They listened to the feedback from World PvP'ers and others from the past couple of years when they kept saying "Remove flying, Flying ruined immersion".
    Even Ghostcrawler said if it was up to him, flying wouldn't of been added.

Despite people wanting flying back so badly, realize there are people who have wanted it gone since...probably even BC.

Also, if they really were doing it just to "trick people into buying WoD", as it seems to be being implied, they wouldn't be allowing refunds, they would of set some silly fine print to prevent that.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2014-05-29 at 03:48 AM.