Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's understandable that a government would have plans in place should its citizens become a threat to themselves and others around them. I think many wouldn't find that unreasonable. However, and it's slightly off-topic but relevant to this, what I do have an issue with is armed force against unarmed and peaceful protestors.

Case in point: the whole FBI assassination plot conspiracy where leaders of the Occupy movement in Houston were targeted for assassination. In my opinion, that's where the use of force crosses the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    From that island nation?
    Kenya isnt an island

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Kenya isnt an island
    It's a part of a really big island that's connected to another really big island that's really just two really big islands pushed together.

Im sure glad this is the most transparent presidency ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Im sure glad this is the most transparent presidency ever.
    lol, that's funny because he's black, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    lol, that's funny because he's black, right?
    The correct term is "opaque"

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Fun Fact: The US government has almost always had contingency plans in place in the case of civil unrest. And more power to them, they should.
    I shouldn't be surprised that you apparently disagree with the Posse Comitatus Act, but I still manage to be. But I really have yet to see any context in which you don't defer to authoritarianism.

Thankfully, I don't think the bulk of our armed forces would actually comply with such orders, that so baldly contradict the oaths they swore.
    Last edited by Stormdash; 2014-05-30 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised that you apparently disagree with the Posse Comitatus Act, but I still manage to be. But I really have yet to see any context in which you don't defer to authoritarianism.
    Why should I be a fan of civil unrest?

Also, Posse Comitatus does have exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Thankfully, I don't think the bulk of our armed forces would actually comply with such orders, that so baldly contradict the oaths they swore.
    ...that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;...
    National Guard says hi

Why should I be a fan of civil unrest?

Also, Posse Comitatus does have exceptions.
    None that apply to the alleged content, which is what matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    National Guard says hi
    I think many in our military would consider a domestic enemy being one a using authority and ordering them to police their neighbors and families . Our national guard is not what we are talking about here (NG oath includes the state, not just the US, for what it's worth).

10+ Year Old Account
    None that apply to the alleged content, which is what matters.
    You're making the assumption that the state government would be complicit in the event of such unrest.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Fun Fact: The US government has almost always had contingency plans in place in the case of civil unrest. And more power to them, they should.
    Depends on the scale, really. The government has no business making plans in case 75% of the population revolts, for example.

We have to wait until November 8th 2016 in order to find out what this actually means. Until then we cant draw any conclusions.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    We have to wait until November 8th 2016 in order to find out what this actually means. Until then we cant draw any conclusions.
    Do you seriously think he's going to try to seize power?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well, we should definitely do an emergency vote to grant him supreme powers during this time of crisis.

You don't have to be a "fan of civil unrest" to recognize that it is not the role of regular military to address it. It is the role of law enforcement, local, state, and federal, and in extreme circumstances of the national guard. There are only sinister implications possible behind anyone in power thinking beyond that scale.

I think many in our military would consider a domestic enemy being one a using authority and ordering them to police their neighbors and families
    They fell in line when Eisenhower did it.

not the role of regular military to address it. It is the role of law enforcement, local, state, and federal, and in extreme circumstances of the national guard.
    And no one is proposing that. The question is if the military has personnel/equipment that may be needed they are now able to supply it to the appropriate authority.
    Last edited by Olo; 2014-05-30 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yup. He's going to enslave us all and force us to turn the white house into a pyramid.

He's 50% Egyptian, you know.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to be a "fan of civil unrest" to recognize that it is not the role of regular military to address it. It is the role of law enforcement, local, state, and federal, and in extreme circumstances of the national guard. There are only sinister implications possible behind anyone in power thinking beyond that scale.
    If aforementioned forces are incapable of putting it down then by all rights the regular military should be tapped in order to quell it. Or alternatively if the states are complicit in the insurrection.

I think many in our military would consider a domestic enemy being one a using authority and ordering them to police their neighbors and families . Our national guard is not what we are talking about here (NG oath includes the state, not just the US, for what it's worth).
    Do you notice the key disturbingly glaring error with your statement here?

You are making said statement on the basis that anyone the military would need to be called in for would be innocent neighbors and families.

You make absolutely zero sense here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Well, we should definitely do an emergency vote to grant him supreme powers during this time of crisis.
    Only until the Trade Federation has been dealt with.