Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why does it need to be environmentally friendly.
    If my car has to be environmentally friendly, I don't see why SpaceX gets a free pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    If my car has to be environmentally friendly, I don't see why SpaceX gets a free pass.
    The long term survival of the human race is not contingent on you having a polluting piece of garbage as a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    A contingency for those we "left behind"

It's a bunch of crap. I get the need to curtail environmentally unfriendly practices to make life on Earth more sustainable, but spaceflight research should be the 'carb allowance'.
    Environmentalists ironically are pretty short-sighted. And the ones who aren't stupid are really just communists. Watermelons, y'know? Green on the outside, red on the inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    The long term survival of the human race is not contingent on you having a polluting piece of garbage as a vehicle.
    Human beings will never exit their own solar system let alone colonize a new planet even within the Milky Way. Never. I am willing to bet anything on it.

srsly. they're building this thing so we can get off this rock. fuck earth!

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any recording of this?

- - - Updated - - -

Human beings will never exit their own solar system let alone colonize a new planet even within the Milky Way. Never. I am willing to bet anything on it.
    While, as of Humanity right now, i agree with you, but things could change to certain events. Never say never, but right now, i wouldn't give any chance to it neither
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't go West young man.
    Last edited by Payday; 2014-05-30 at 06:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said anything about exiting the solar system?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Space sex is gonna go places.

- - - Updated - - -

Personal responsibility

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Well, jump off a few buildings hoping you'll flap your arms and fly. I'm sure one day it will work because ANYTHING is possible amiright?

Who said anything about exiting the solar system?
    You'll need to do it if you wanna avoid the death of the sun...or is there such a thing as thinking too far ahead?

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll need to do it if you wanna avoid the death of the sun...or is there such a thing as thinking too far ahead?
    Planetary insurance should be the most immediate goal (i.e. spreading to Luna/Mars). We can build from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, jump off a few buildings hoping you'll flap your arms and fly. I'm sure one day it will work because ANYTHING is possible amiright?
    Yes, you are right. Anything is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, there is such a thing as thinking too far ahead when the word is billions (with a b)
    Last edited by Payday; 2014-05-30 at 07:27 AM.

Deleted
    Space is environmentally friendly. Besides cost, being environmetal friendly is a good reason to not use nuclear power for satellites. SARM design is annoying. At least for me.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2014-05-30 at 07:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    And best of all? It is a zero maintenance vehicle. It can be restacked and flown immediately, sensible if you have a fully reusable first stage that just need to be gassed up.
    LOL you relay think that, you will have a army of engineers who will have to check ever up everything to ensure so that no stress, crack, leak, damage etc have have occurred.

I am sure that a refurbished rocket/capsule will be cheaper then have to build a new rocket/capsule but zero maintenance never... most maintenance on a airliner is to confirm that everything works after a flight... same will happen to the Dragon...

Really blown out of the water by this. By the way, here is the competition. LOL Soyuz. Is that a fucking globe?
    What do the Soyuz including service module wight and what do the Dragon V2 including service module wight?
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2014-05-30 at 08:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    LOL you relay think that, you will have a army of engineers who will have to check ever up to ensure everything so that no stress, crack, leak, damage etc have have occurred.

I am sure that a refurbished rocket/capsule will be cheaper then have to build a new rocket/capsule but zero maintenance never... most maintenance or a airliner is to confirm that everything works after a flight... same will happen to the dragon...
    When he says 'zero maintenance', he's referring to the current context of maintenance for reusable spaceflight technology. Compared to that, a between flight maintenance on the level of an airliner is practically nothing.

What do the Soyuz including service module what is the wight and what do the Dragon V2 includin service module wight?
    The most recent Soyuz is in the realm of 7,150 kilograms. The Dragon is around 4,200 kilograms.

Doesn't really matter, anyway; what matters is that the Dragon is a vastly more advanced module that remains cost-effective without resorting to shoddy engineering that you tend to see in Russian modules.

Aren't you fun at parties.

So what do you expect? Advancement and technological process will just be halted?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like mechanical switches would be more reliable than a touchscreen.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I feel like mechanical switches would be more reliable than a touchscreen.
    I bet you drive a manual.

Also, no; mechanical switches are more likely to be disrupted by particulate matter getting into the seams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there aren't several billion spaceships running every day.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!