Question Advertising Addon? To Help Sell Products Over Trade - Any Other Ideas

So I have found my gold-making passion: Catching rare pets, training them, and selling them.

I have already made 7k today doing that, and there is still 6 days left in the week.

The problem is - I don't - and can't - stay up on WoW all the time pressing my macro that advertises my products in trade chat. Although WoW is fun, sometimes I'd like to just watch Twitch tv, put on a Star Trek, or play Hearthstone after I'm done with WoW for the day and want to wind down. However, I just can't pause my program to keep alt-tabbing back to WoW every two minutes to press that macro. I just can't.

So...is there an addon that automatically advertises your wares? Iow; An addon the automatically activates a /2 macro every 5 minutes? Would really help my ingame career as a pet trapper. (I don't believe that this is against the ToS. Additionally, I have done this using the ingame macroing tools in other MMOs as well - unfortunately WoW's macro code doesn't supply it).

Also, any other ideas? Thanks

So a trade chat bot. At the very least it would fall into the line of add ons that keep you online when you should afk log which isn't allowed. Even if you found one that worked people wouldn't be able to buy anything from you since you are afk doing other things.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    So a trade chat bot. At the very least it would fall into the line of add ons that keep you online when you should afk log which isn't allowed. Even if you found one that worked people wouldn't be able to buy anything from you since you are afk doing other things.
    I already just leave the sound up so I can hear whispers. I'm not talking about something that auto sells or anything, just auto spams the advert macro. Also, you sure it isn't allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I already just leave the sound up so I can hear whispers. I'm not talking about something that auto sells or anything, just auto spams the advert macro. Also, you sure it isn't allowed?
    What you want is for an addon to speak in trade chat for you, without you actually doing anything. That is, by Blizzard's definition, botting and as such is 100% against the rules.

You can make a macro though that you can click once to spam your message, it just has to be you that clicks it or else it is considered botting.

OR get a Dance Dance Revolution pad, hook it up to your computer, bind the pads to your trade macro, get a cat, cover the dance pad in catnip, and presto. Technically not botting, maybe catting but catting isn't against the TOS I don't think.
    You just lost The Game

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    You can make a macro though that you can click once to spam your message, it just has to be you that clicks it or else it is considered botting.

OR get a Dance Dance Revolution pad, hook it up to your computer, bind the pads to your trade macro, get a cat, cover the dance pad in catnip, and presto. Technically not botting, maybe catting but catting isn't against the TOS I don't think.
    this
    /10characters
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!

/run local f=TdS or CreateFrame("Frame","TdS") f.t=300 f:SetScript("OnUpdate",function(s,e) f.t=f.t+e if f.t>300 then f.t=0 SendChatMessage("WTS blah blah","channel",nil,2) end end)

will send "WTS blah blah" to chat channel /2 every 5 minutes until you logout or /reload.

Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Triskaideka View Post
    What you want is for an addon to speak in trade chat for you, without you actually doing anything. That is, by Blizzard's definition, botting and as such is 100% against the rules.
    There are already addons which can repeat messages into a channel at an interval, or even automatically reply to recognised messages.
    It isn't botting when the default UI supports it, and is doing only what the api was designed to do.
    Guild advertising, auto-congrats, etc.
    Auto-inviting when whispered a keyword.
    An old addon I had pre-profession links would reply in whispers with links for each crafting matching a certain word when whispered.

Due to an issue highlighted with WeakAuras, but by no means unique to that I wonder if it might be possible to have auto-mailing with a CoD to anyone requesting an advertised item.

There were auras going around which could send your gold to another character without your knowledge, only requiring I think the mailbox UI to be open.
    There are addons utilising auto-mailing for auction/sorting functionality.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-06-01 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Guild Recruitment Helper is the best tool I found for this task -- though my goal was actually guild recruitment, not advertising. Be wary that you may not have awesome response to regular spamming of this from people. Since this is possible within the addon framework, this is ToS clean -- but the general "don't be a problem" parts of it apply.

I strongly, strongly advise something like this. Not only does it do timed announcements, it does "volume" announcements -- if your five minutes pass, but there was not enough chatter on /2, it will skip the announcement to avoid spamming people too much. Also does /1 when out of cities, if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Guild Recruitment Helper is the best tool I found for this task -- though my goal was actually guild recruitment, not advertising. Be wary that you may not have awesome response to regular spamming of this from people. Since this is possible within the addon framework, this is ToS clean -- but the general "don't be a problem" parts of it apply.

I strongly, strongly advise something like this. Not only does it do timed announcements, it does "volume" announcements -- if your five minutes pass, but there was not enough chatter on /2, it will skip the announcement to avoid spamming people too much. Also does /1 when out of cities, if you want.
    I've heard of people getting temp banned for spamming with those Guild Recruitment addons, but if you use them in moderation I think that would be acceptable.
    You just lost The Game

since bots are not allowed, the closest thing you can try is an auction house listing addon like TradeSkillsMaster. once you have listed everything it goes very fast. in the past, all I had to do is log in and re-list things, which took less than 30s and was automated through the addon.

I've heard of people getting temp banned for spamming with those Guild Recruitment addons, but if you use them in moderation I think that would be acceptable.
    Right, but keep in mind that Blizzard doesn't ban people for using addons. They take account action against people who break their ToS. If you get caught spamming, it doesn't matter if you used an addon to do it or if you sat there and used enter/shift-up/enter repeatedly; it is the act of spamming itself that gets you in trouble.

Deleted
    While it does not contribute to this thread, I just wanted to quote this anyway.

One free internet coupon, 21 pounds of catnip and a "thumb up" for your idea

SlippyCheeze is correct, the addon you are looking for is Guild Recruitment. I've used it with great success getting materials for crafting via tradechat. And no it's not botting.

You don't need any addon or dippy bird or anything at all.

Code:
    /run local f=TdS or CreateFrame("Frame","TdS") f.t=300 f:SetScript("OnUpdate",function(s,e) f.t=f.t+e if f.t>300 then f.t=0 SendChatMessage("WTS blah blah","channel",nil,2) end end)
    will send "WTS blah blah" to chat channel /2 every 5 minutes until you logout or /reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsia View Post
    Right, but keep in mind that Blizzard doesn't ban people for using addons. They take account action against people who break their ToS. If you get caught spamming, it doesn't matter if you used an addon to do it or if you sat there and used enter/shift-up/enter repeatedly; it is the act of spamming itself that gets you in trouble.
    Yes, this. The reason I recommend that specific addon is that it tries harder than others I have seen to *avoid* spamming unnecessarily. You can probably configure it to be obnoxious enough to be a problem, but set it up with a nice long delay, and combine the "not enough talk == don't send" filter, and you avoid the most likely to be troublesome situations.