Thread: Better yet?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Don't Guardians have the lowest base health of all of the classes?
    You're right, I misunderstood something on the wiki.

(It was discussing armor and then said professions give base health and I read it as the soldier/adventurer/ scholar breakdown.)

(and base health link just because: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heal..._by_profession )
    Last edited by Svifnymr; 2014-06-15 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    And of course, Asura should be harder for npcs to hit than Norn, that's just common sense and has nothing to do with over half my characters being Asura or my dislike of norn.
    If we're doing size comparisons, then Norn have much greater reach, which is an advantage in melee, while asuras need to get closer to the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    I am pretty sure weapon swing and hit box range is the same for all races
    I'm not saying that's how it is, but how it should be, if we're talking about "realism" like dodging, heavy armor and so on.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2014-06-16 at 06:40 AM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

I am pretty sure weapon swing and hit box range is the same for all races. This is a little odd in spots, where a Norn can stand closer to a swing without getting hit while an Asuran will get with a wider distance between targets.

yeah guardians have the lowest HP but supposedly make up for it through their virtues. you would think a class called a guardian would be tanky but I guess not lol. I still die fairly quickly even with a defensive build and +toughness gear in every slot.

OT the game is the exact same as it was at launch but with minor tweaks. mostly QOL changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    OT the game is the exact same as it was at launch but with minor tweaks. mostly QOL changes.
    Someone hasn't been keeping up with the game I see.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates
    Valar morghulis

I've solved the problem by rolling an elementalist.
    I can just go into water and be a healer. If I ever wanna play a tank i'll just pick up a guardian or warrior.

It's pretty clear that there is a trinity, it's just not a profession, but instead a weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    He could have meant GW2 is exactly the same in gameplay. Which is mostly correct. Feature additions and tweaks being common to all games in activie development. But gameplay is usually unchanging or only altered slightly in the case of MMOs.

I am not sure if the quoted poster really meant "the game is the same" except for the addition of some signposts, UI changes and a new dye kit. Perhaps he simply meant you play GW2 in more or less the same manner now as when it was newly released. Who knows.

It's pretty clear that there is a trinity, it's just not a profession, but instead a weapon.
    As a gameplay mechanic, there is no role trinity in Guild Wars 2.

In the view of gameplay to have a role trinity implies the agents filling those roles are exclusionary. This is expressly not the case in Guild Wars 2.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-06-16 at 11:30 AM.

I'm hoping Season 2 improves, i've been out for a few months and would love to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    As a gameplay mechanic, there is no role trinity in Guild Wars 2.

In the view of gameplay to have a role trinity implies the agents filling those roles are exclusionary. This is expressly not the case in Guild Wars 2.
    But then how do raid groups work?
    I have not raided in GW2 but I'd assume that people are assigned roles based on their profession/weaponry.
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    I have not raided in GW2 but I'd assume that people are assigned roles based on their profession/weaponry.
    everybody kills (Boss group, add group, defense group against other adds) that he should kill and stands where he should stay (melees on the melee spot, range on the range spot).

here and there some classes should use some special support skills like the hallowed ground of the guard for group stability but thats all.

How do people still think there's traditional raiding in GW2 at this point?

The same as every other group encounter in GW2.

Have you done any dynamic event in the game with other people? That's actually a raid. They all are.

There is no instanced or formal raiding in GW2. All the "raid" encounters are open world events; from centaurs attacking the camp in Harthi Highlands to the Shatterer to bandits stealing the wine from the monks in Queensdale. All of those events are openly joinable, dynamically scaling, open world raids.

The same as every other group encounter in GW2.

Have you done any dynamic event in the game with other people? That's actually a raid. They all are.
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    How do people still think there's traditional raiding in GW2 at this point?
    A lot of assumptions there when I clearly asked "But then how do raid groups work?", clearly implying that I have not raided in GW2.
    So dungeons are instances but raids are not? Is there a specific reason for this?
    What if I wanted to do a raid with a group of friends only?

A lot of assumptions there when I clearly asked "But then how do raid groups work?", clearly implying that I have not raided in GW2.
    There is no assumption. I asked you a question directly; have you done any dynamic events in GW2?

All those events are raids. All raiding in GW2 is essentially an open world raid or hotjoin grouping. In fact, one doesn't even need to be in a group at all. Any person can wander up to a open world boss encounter and participate. They can also leave whenever they feel like it.

Creating a group is simply convenient. But there is little content in the game that expressly requires a group except Guild Missions.

So dungeons are instances but raids are not? Is there a specific reason for this?
    Yes, there is actually. The Guild Wars franchise is philosophically built around a few precepts;

1. Skill over stats, where there will always be a hard power ceiling. One can not advance through stats alone. Reaction skills are paramount.

2. Lateral progression and content, no bimodal endgame. One does the same things at level 1 as level 20 or 80. The GW franchise banks on players simply playing the games for the sheer pleasure of the experience alone. Content stays relevant regardless of player advancement.

3. Cooperative PVE. All the PVE is fundamentally designed to be a 100% cooperative experience. With few to none exclusions.

4. Equalized PVP. PVP is designed to be "fair" and skill based. Where rank and stats are minimized or eliminated.

The designers of GW2 view large scale instancing as counter to their goals as a game developer. But they are okay with small group encounters as an option.

You guys just show up to an event and whack at the boss/objectives till it's over. At a base level there is literally nothing more to it.

There is neither a role trinity, endgame or instanced raiding in Guild Wars 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys just show up to an event and whack at the boss/objectives till it's over. At a base level there is literally nothing more to it.
    I'll make sure to tell my Triple Wurm group that. "Forget everything guys, Fencers says just whack!"

(c'mon Fencers, do you even play this game?)
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I'll make sure to tell my Triple Wurm group that. "Forget everything guys, Fencers says just whack!"

(c'mon Fencers, do you even play this game?)
    I said at a base level, that's what you do; your group attempts to kill a creature or complete an objective.

Are the specifics of where to stand, shimmy and boogaloo necessary to my point?

The raids in GW2 are for the most part openly join-able, non-instanced affairs. One doesn't need to be in a "raid party" by any facet of game design to actually have a "whack" at the open world content ("raids" in the case of the bosses).

By contrast, you must be in a specialized group to "raid" Hammerknell as part of the game design. It is also a discrete instance that is expressly exclusionary.

Raiding in GW2, or at least the facsimile of raiding, is as it was in the original MMOs; open world, anyone can join.

So yes, you can just take your group of friends to an open world encounter and participate. There is nothing stopping you in game design from doing so.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-06-17 at 02:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strategy guide for the where to stand, shimmy and boogaloo if anyone is curious:
    http://ttsgamers.com/strategy/great-jungle-wurm/

It takes an immense effort of coordination and skilled play to pull off a kill. Guilds for this boss spawn discrete instances (or zones/maps) and fill it with their team.
    Valar morghulis

You can't raid with just your group of friends. Your friends will go to a zone with a raid boss like encounter and others will be there. The harder ones like Jungle Wurm normally have a lot of people on voice chat. Tequatl is done without voice chat at this point. Karka Queen's mechanics require less coordination so its just a join-in situation.

To use a WoW example, GW2 encounters are like outdoor raid bosses like Oondasta or Galleon, with the caveat that anyone that hits has a chance at loot, rather than whoever gets the tag first.

Great explanation, they EXACTLY like raid bosses