10 man hc Raiding brew monk looking for advise

Hello dear fellow Brewmasters

I've came back to WoW after .. almost 1.5y brake and I'm currently raiding 10 man HC 9/12 Progress so far.

Logs
    Armory
    Basicly.. I'm getting a bit boosted but well who cares..
    Anyway, I'm looking for some upgrades In my play style.. cause we have an another monk with us
    his armory and his performance was MUCH MUCH MUCH better. . which makes me sad panda..
    Last edited by Segasik; 2014-06-03 at 06:33 AM.

Can you explain what problems you're having?

I just plugged you into AsmMrRobot, and your gearing is problematic. You're waaaayyyyy over the expertise cap; You're a bit high on haste; and you're using a couple odd enchants. I'd encourage your to read the BrM sticky as well as this: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...cs-of-survival. Between the two, it should give you a good understanding of how to gear and play brewmaster. If you still have questions after reading those, ask specific questions to try to focus the conversation.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You may also want to take a look at your links to your armory and such as none of them work for me. I have to copy/paste them into my address bar.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

For you, you really need to get more mastery. It's possible to do it with relatively low amounts, but when you're new and not as good your healers will find it MUCH easier to heal you if you have plenty of mastery. Don't worry too much about haste right now - it can be important but it is not 100% necessary. Crit is of course your primary stat, but again, mastery can be worthwhile. In your position and at your skill, I'd aim for about 8-9k mastery and dump the rest into crit (keeping exp/hit caps of course).

As well, I'd probably go for the 2pc but, honestly, the 4pc isn't all that fantastic. I'd definitely take heroic off set pieces over it since your DPS is pretty terrible.

Links fixed,

My problems ? DPS
    Healers had some hard time trying to keep my up.. but nothing that we cannot manage.
    My only problem is low dps,, regarding gems/enchants/caps I got some new gear need to recalculate eveyrthing.. but question remains.. If I will go for Mastery which is not recommended for 10 man anyway.. wont I loose DPS again.. ;/

Just took a quick look at your sha kill. Good uptime on shuffle etc, but you opted to take RJW bit only use it twice, when reflections spawn you want to be stacking them all up and spamming that. That's the only fight I looked at but there you go.

Gear:
    Why in the world are you using RoRo? That thing is garbage, especially an LFR version. You don't even have hardly any mastery to contribute towards it. Practically any other trinket would be better. On top of that you have about 3k too much haste, and you're reforging out of mastery into haste. Haste does almost nothing for BrM damage or survivability, you're better off with mastery. It's not that mastery is bad for 10 man, it's just that you don't need as much as you would in 25 man, having extra haste instead is just wasting stats.

Logs:

In terms of damage you're doing okay in what you should be doing (problems mostly caused by your wonky gear setup), but you're really not using defensive abilities much. For example, on Sha of Pride, you used Guard 12 times but only used Expel Harm 9 times. You should be using Expel Harm in place of Jab basically any time it is off cooldown and you're not at full health, this will make you do more damage and be tankier.

Of course the guy with almost 50 item levels is going to crush you in dmg done. Once you factor in vengeance you don't stand a chance. Rune of Re-Origination is awful for tanking with your item lvls. You are going to fall well below the haste you want to get some extra crit every now and then. As far as going after mastery not helping your dps, no it wont. It really looks like most of your issues are from being the off tank that is behind due to gear and how that effects vengeance though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Gear :
    RoR is the only trinket I have.. /dont ask - I KNOW it sux.. still NOTHING.. else.. ;/ nothing drops.. doing lfr/flex every weak ;/
    Logs:
    Regarding Sha:
    - I forgot to change RJW after trashes..I'm usually going with Xuen
    - Expel Harm- well.. I was never hmm going down .. should I be really SPAMMING it every cd, even if it will cause overheal ? or.. ?

Please, take a look at the two threads I asked you look at in my first post. All of the questions you've asked so far have been answered in those threads. I don't mind clarifying things, but every question you've asked has been answered already in either one or both of the threads I showed you.

Rune is bad. It is not a trinket that you want to use. Run heroic dungeons, LFR, Flex, buy a 496 Darkmoon trinket if you have to. The loss of haste when it procs makes it a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Segasik View Post
    Gear :
    - Expel Harm- well.. I was never hmm going down .. should I be really SPAMMING it every cd, even if it will cause overheal ? or.. ?
    If it's all overheal, don't use EH. If you're at 80-90% health, it does basically the same damage as a jab, gives you the same amount of Chi as a jab, and heals you. There's no reason not to use it so long as it isn't all going to overhealing.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-06-03 at 08:12 AM.

Deleted
    If you find yourself never going down, you can always use Expel Harm right after a sudden burst in damage (like Bursting Pride on Sha, for example). For stats, i like having ~8000 (NEVER above) haste, just feels like its smoothing out the gameplay, however at lower ilvl other stats are more important. For crit, i see that ~60% (buffed) i have so good uptime on Elusive Brew that its not worthwhile getting more over Mastery. I tend to run with ~15% (atleast) mastery (buffed).
    Of course getting those percentages gets easier with higher ilvl... If i where you however, i would get more mastery (as someone has said), lowering your haste (you should really be fine with 4-6k, but its up to personal preference, just gotta get a feel for it), and loweing your crit even though you're not at the Elusive Brew "cap", mastery is really important to smooth out damage taken.

NOTE: Expel Harm often do more damage than Jab aswell (provided it heals you), so can get a tiny amount of more damage there.
    Get the Timeless Isle DPS trinket (agility+mastery proc), its pretty good and easy to get (instead of RoR).

For talents, i personally dont like Xuen alot (except on Siegecrafter Shredder smashing), i still use it on most fights, but RJW is where my heart is! No one should be able to compete with a Brewmaster on that aoe. While your DPS is mostly due to not that high ilvl, try to take advantage of your superior aoe. What i normally do on Sha of Pride is pick up the adds with Dizzying Haze (throwing barrels thingie), and then spam aoe them down. Smash them with a Keg Smash, and use Breath of Fire (duration fits Keg Smash CD, also beware of Shuffle, thats more important). I do INSANE damage on the Sha of Pride adds to the point where the other tank basically stopped trying to kill them.

Forgot to mention, if DPS is your main concern, 2x 1h > 2h DPS wise (dont hang me up on this, but it seems to be the general consensus).
    Last edited by mmoc68ddb4cf03; 2014-06-03 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Huh

For a very rough stat priority for 10 man heroics you want enough crit to have a decent stack of EB every time you taunt (probably roughly 50%ish) > Mastery > Crit >>>>>>Haste as you're starting out and if feel too squishy you can add more mastery, or if you feel like the damage is fine you can up that personal crit softcap.

As I got more gear I personally did Crit to roughly 55% unbuffed (so it'd be 60% buffed roughly) > Mastery and avoided haste from there. If you'd like to flip that for tankinesss I reccomend shooting for 20% buffed mastery > crit > haste. You really don't need that much haste at all to keep 10% shuffle uptime, guard when needed, and purify a few times a minute.

Run the tanking cloak, it'll help you not get gibbed. I can't even count the amount of times that its saved me during both progression and farm because I wasn't paying attention, healers weren't paying attention, or bad things in general were happening. The proc rate on the dps cloak for tanks is so bad that its not really worth it outside of spoils and maybe galakras.

For level 90 talents I was running:

RJW: Immerseus, Fallen Protectors, Galakras, and Spoils

Xuen: Norushen, Sha, Iron Juggernaut, Dark Shaman, Nazgrim, Malkorok, Thok, Siegecrafter, Klaxxi, and Garrosh

I've seen something about using RJW for klaxxi but that assumes you keep them stacked up for most of the fights and don't want the little extra juice for certain portions of the fight (i.e. burning Korven or Xaril).

Keep in mind you're a tank, your first job is to survive (especially with how low your gear is while you're doing Heroics...). Damage will come with gear and I'm pretty sure your raid group is more concerned with you not dying before how much damage you're doing at the moment. They apparently have the dps to make it without you smashing the meters.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

So i got some new fancy gear
    Armory
    (Got HC WF Juggy Trinket and HC Protectors and 4/4 upg normal head and hands (such a waste I know...in bag)
    But most important thing! Yay no more RoRo
    However I have checked askmrrobot.. and it told me to go for mastery gems. Which is kinda bizarre as everyone keeps telling me to go crit/haste :> So well. My question is.. how would you change my gear now ? Raiding 10 man HC kind of Progress on Siegecrafter
    Last edited by Segasik; 2014-06-24 at 09:37 AM.

If you're dying to physical damage, or healers are struggling to keep you up, then get more mastery. If not, more crit. If you're dying to magic damage you could consider stam, though for most magic damage that can kill you, you should be able to use a CD. As far as haste, you can get away with as little as 4-5k, but I like to run around 7k for more PB and expel harms. Can even throw in BoFs for add fights.

Use dampen for periodic large hits, use diffuse magic for periods of heavy but continuous magic damage. I use dampen more often.
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2014-06-24 at 12:17 PM.

However I have checked askmrrobot.. and it told me to go for mastery gems. Which is kinda bizarre as everyone keeps telling me to go crit/haste
    Actually, most people in this thread have encouraged you to go for mastery, especially once you have a baseline of crit such that EB is up whenever you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconslicer View Post
    Actually, most people in this thread have encouraged you to go for mastery, especially once you have a baseline of crit such that EB is up whenever you need it.
    Well that was true when I was like.. 15 ilvl lower xD

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was true when I was like.. 15 ilvl lower xD
    Gaining item level doesn't magically change how stats are used. The basics remain the same, grab more mastery for more survival, or crit if not.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

You've got WAY too much crit. You aren't capped, it's true, but a boss like Blackfuse is going to hit you like a truck (especially when he's enraged). You could definitely kill him in your gear, but with some more mastery your healers could worry about you a bit less which could make or break your first few kills. I'd drop 2000 crit in favor of mastery.

You also could drop some of that hit rating. You're quite a bit over. Same for expertise. You've got over 1000 wasted stats with both of those combined.

Mastery is even nicer since you get some bonus mastery from Thok's Tail Tip.