Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Crucial MX100 SSD Review - Sub $.50/GB

This is actually quite good. $225 for 512GB model, $110 for 256GB. Link to 512GB on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-...tag=pcper04-20

There is also a 128GB model but write performance drop to ~150MB/s. ~350MB/s writes for the 256GB and ~500MB/s writes for the 512GB model.

Back in July of last year, Micron announced production of 16nm flash memory. These were the same 128gbit dies as the previous gen parts, but 16nm means the dies are smaller, meaning more dies from a single wafer, ultimately translating to lower end user cost.
    The 256GB is okay but the interesting one is the 512GB model.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Oh boy! This is certainly very interesting.

But I don't wanna put more drive space in my computer yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    Oh boy! This is certainly very interesting.

But I don't wanna put more drive space in my computer yet
    Too true. I have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs.

However my old Crucial m4 128GB could probably be replaced sooner or later. Perhaps an MX100 or M550 will replace it. Either way, Crucial has done a fantastic job with their SSDs and only improved. This is pretty awesome.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Always love Anand's reviews... I think the time is coming for my m4 to be retired, at least from my main rig.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    The 512GB is at a really tempting price it's around the same price as my 256Gb Samsung Pro! (at the time)

10+ Year Old Account
    It is SUPER tempting to switch out boot drive for the 512... I mean $200?! 128-> 512... stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    In 2011 I bought a Crucial m4 128GB for... $230.

Now the MX100 512GB is selling for... $225.

._.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe I got my M4 for ~$110. 128GB. Yep, it just might be soon to replace.

My 3 year old 64GB M4 is still going strong, but I think it might be time to upgrade at these kinds of prices. Really love Crucial.

Deleted
    Give it 2 years and u can replace all HDD´s for SSD´s for 40 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Give it 2 years and u can replace all HDD´s for SSD´s for 40 bucks.
    That's pushing it.

But at this rate, next year we might have 1TB SSDs for under $300... might.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    And you know what happens when we will have decent prices (low) for 1TB ssd. Hdd'd will have to go down to cheap as hell, or start loosing their place in the market, and competition then will move to who makes faster ssd's not just size. So much for msata...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    And you know what happens when we will have decent prices (low) for 1TB ssd. Hdd'd will have to go down to cheap as hell, or start loosing their place in the market, and competition then will move to who makes faster ssd's not just size. So much for msata...
    That's quite a way off... Remember that a 1TB HDD currently is $60~ and people STILL don't believe in the SSD as a reliable storage method, and STILL think the writes are limited, even after countless tests which have proven that's a thing of the past! >_<

Meanwhile! When I had my power issues (a tight cable that wasn't 100% or 0% in the PSU socket anymore, it was loose, this was a year ago mind you, well... power on off on off on off on off... after that? My 3 hard drives that were in my rig, 1 Seagate 1TB, 1 WD Blue 640GB and 1 WD Green 1.5TB... all gone. Just like that. 5 years of my data, all gone like that.

You know what survived without a scratch? (See what I did there?) Crucial m4 128GB.

But yeah, SSDs are very unreliable!

I seriously can't wait for the time though, that you're speaking of, Kostattoo... when I can just shove 5x1TB SSDs in my computer and forget about everything? Hell yes.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Yes haha, i didn't mean soon more like Blizzards "soon", meaning waiting for a long time... Anyway hdd,ssd,usb sticks, i treat them all the same as far as reliability. Back up to have peace of mind...or not...

Five years or so had a thunderstorm during summer. Left the back up server on during weekend while was off to summer house. Mind you had a ups on it. Yeah, monday morning all was fried and damn ups was out of warranty or i would load the cost up to them. Had 2 hdds in raid, and funny thing is the back up of back up (2nd drive) got completely fried and the original backup was saved or more like half of it. Had to take it down to some guys to copy all my things to a dvd... Was lucky i didnt loose a single thing for the ~6 years back up files i had

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Yes haha, i didn't mean soon more like Blizzards "soon", meaning waiting for a long time... Anyway hdd,ssd,usb sticks, i treat them all the same as far as reliability. Back up to have peace of mind...or not...

Five years or so had a thunderstorm during summer. Left the back up server on during weekend while was off to summer house. Mind you had a ups on it. Yeah, monday morning all was fried and damn ups was out of warranty or i would load the cost up to them. Had 2 hdds in raid, and funny thing is the back up of back up (2nd drive) got completely fried and the original backup was saved or more like half of it. Had to take it down to some guys to copy all my things to a dvd... Was lucky i didnt loose a single thing for the ~6 years back up files i had
    Were your hard drives still spinning up? Mine were not.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Don't remember tbh, all i do remember is i couldn't do anything, tried getting the hdd's i had to another pc to get my stuff but no luck. So in the end took it down to a shop i used to have for support etc, and after they checked they told me mobo, psu, back-up hdd, and 1 ram were completely fried. The proc was doing some weird stuff like semi fried, 1 ram stick was ok and finally the primary hdd was damaged but on part of the disc that had the data on was ok, or something along those lines. Now how the hell they got the stuff out of it i had no idea. This was the last proper little server i had and due to cost i never build another one. Wasn't something awesome you see in big companies but was all i had for my small company/office that had cost me like 4k or something at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you recall how much it cost you to get the data from your HDD? Typically a totally dead HDD will cost $500+ to recover. >_<
    "A flower.

Deleted
    No nothing like that for sure. I dont remember exact numbers but i would guess 100-150euros. 500 would be a tad too much, imagine at this moment an average monthly salary here is 800Euros or something. Maybe it wasn't completely dead but as i mentioned when i had it hooked up on another pc i had no access on it, i remember i couldn't access/see it in windows, don't remember if i could see it in bios tho.

Deleted
    SpinRite supposedly can recover data and help HDDs run healthier, I belive it's like $90 for a first license.