• Yes

51 38.64%
  • No

81 61.36%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Suicide to Mars?

I have so many questions for you...

This one is kinda old, but say you were accepted to go on Mars One.

It's a one-way trip, some consider this a suicide mission. (I do not think this, but it was brought up like this and (if I rememberer correctly) Muslim leaders forbid other Muslims to apply to Mars One).

Would you go?

I'll go first:

ABSOLUTELY!!! NO SECOND THOUGHT!! I WANT TO GO NOW!!!!

No, there's nothing there that would make me want to go

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't.
    Nothing there, and I don't seek the fame to be known as one of the first people to 'settle' the planet.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I have no desire to go into space. Much less that barren red rock. Feel free to send some awesome HD pictures back to Earth though. Those I would love to see.

Now if Mars were an actual habitable planet that would be a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Now if Mars were an actual habitable planet that would be a completely different story.
    Mmm, microbes nobody's immune system is qualified to combat...

Deleted
    Nah. The internet sucks on Mars.

While it would probably be fascinating to do, and I don't have the highest value on my life, that is one suicide I wouldn't want to partake in. Nevermind all the unknown things that could happen that we don't even know about, something about being stranded on a dead world and totally relying at all times on technology to survive that will already be old when you get to Mars is scary. Putting a gun in your mouth to kill yourself is one thing...you know you want to die and you want to die right then...but sitting around waiting for something bad to happen that will kill you (in probably a slow or terrible way) is mental torture.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but maybe one day before I die, tourist ships will take us to mars. I want to at least go into space before I die.

This country needs to have a serious discussion if a mission to Mars should be one way.

Certainly after the second trip, it should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I would do it in a heart beat. Just hope the rest of the passengers are as cool as me.

I would wanna see all the cities and things oh, wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    While going to Mars utterly fascinates me... I honestly feel like it's buying a brand new console that just came out. It's gonna be buggy, doesn't work half the time, and isn't what was advertised.

Those going to Mars will go down in history, but they will be miserable for a decade. Some people dig that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It would be a total waste of time.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

If I did not have a wife and children, family, and friends I'd possibly consider it. But not with the way my life is as I prefer what I have.

If I were to go I wouldn't consider it as a suicide mission to Mars and going to die; I would consider it as going to live and do as much as I possibly could with what the group is given to advance our understanding of the trip and planet. If that group gets halfway up a "ladder" the next one might just make it all the way. Lay the foundation for others.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While going to Mars utterly fascinates me... I honestly feel like it's buying a brand new console that just came out. It's gonna be buggy, doesn't work half the time, and isn't what was advertised.

Those going to Mars will go down in history, but they will be miserable for a decade. Some people dig that.
    Imagine the table top games you guys will come up with lol. It will be fucked up shit

Think it would be really cool. But yeah the whole one way trip thing is crazy. But sometimes crazy is the only way.

if they discover hot green female aliens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Nah. The internet sucks on Mars.
    Person A: My ping is 780,000!!!
    Person B: Shit man you're lucky!! I'm always around 790,000 ping >:L
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

10+ Year Old Account
    id be tenative to go even IF there was already civilization up there. im talking the planet could be completely terraformed and id still have second thoughts. why would i leave my perfectly fine life on earth to go live a brand new uncertain one on mars.

i understand people want the fame or prestige or whatever. some people have nothing to lose....im not one of those people lol

It would be terrible; cooped up in a shuttle for the rest of your life to see a dead planet, potential for disaster extremely high, little or no entertainment value.

But you would live forever; the first person to visit Mars? How famous is Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin? You would break mankind's barriers, set up hope for future generations to live among the stars. You would be exploring a New Frontier, with all the sense of mystery and discovery. I would do it, were I younger and with less direction. The chance to do something no one has ever done before, and to leave a lasting legacy... isn't that what all individuals desire?

You came to the wrong place looking for answers on this. People who have a sense of exploration don't surf the internet, they get out into the world. Those of us still here are too attached to our entertainment to let go.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel