Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Problems with new build graphics.

Okay so first off ill list all of my parts.

Case: HAF 932 advanced from cooler master
    MoBo: Gigabyte 990fxa-UD5
    CPU: AMD-FX8350
    Graphics Card: Radeon R9 270X 2GB DDR5
    Power supply: 600W Corsair Modular
    RAM: 2x4GB Balistica (I forgot the name of this)
    HDD: 2TB WD
    Optical drive: LG Combo Drive ( Forgot name also)
    Monitor: 38" HD TV Insignia I plan on adding another 38" and having dual monitors, and I need to research how to do that but that should be simple.

So I put this computer together with my friend and we ran into a few troubles especially with the wiring but I figured that was all sorted out, the biggest issues i had was arguing with the geek squad associate saying that there has to be a SATA from the optical drive to the MoBo and the HDD to the Mobo or else how would data be transferred if its only connect to the power supply. I connected the SATA to the MoBo and Op. Drive and HDD. I booted up, installed windows 8.1 and my anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Downloaded warcraft and other games.

The problem is when I stream from megashare or netflix the video quality is always very very poor, and choppy, and I've yet to understand why, my friend who helped with my build and inspired me to build my own computer has no issues and all his videos are crystal clear and never choppy and hes admitted to me to having much better hardware.

None of my parts are being Overclocked, I dont really understand OC so i'd hate to mess up my parts, and im new at builds so did i miss something?

I read somewhere that you have to configure your RAM in the Bios? Idk if that is affecting my graphics.

ALSO: this has been driving me bonkers for a while, my Graphics card is in the second PCI Express slot, NOT THE FIRST, it couldnt fit in the first because it was bumping some part next to it so i had to move it down. idk if thats an issue either.

Eventually I plan on upgrading my MoBo, power supply and adding more RAM while crossfiring another R9 270x.
    but still i thought my computer was at least good enough to be able to stream HD 1080P. Even on youtube 480P is an issue.

If you guys need more info feel free to post, i think i covered most of it.

Deleted
    Adding more ram or "upgrading" the mobo doesn't really accomplish anything, FYI. That motherboard can handle Crossfire just fine as long as you use slots 1 and 2, which both are full speed. Might require a new case though to fit the second card to upper slot.

How is the streaming video choppy? Are you sure it's not your internet connection? Streaming video isn't exactly taxing for modern hardware. Have you installed the AMD Catalyst drivers for graphics card? Do games work fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Taiku View Post
    Monitor: 38" HD TV Insignia I plan on adding another 38" and having dual monitors, and I need to research how to do that but that should be simple.
    It's one of two things, either A your internet connection speed, or B your monitor(you are using a large(er) TV as a monitor... it has pretty bad ratio's and it's not really a name brand) nothing in your system should be limiting this, but you do have a LARGE screen and if you are sitting fairly close this will probably be an issue that nothing can fix. I generally recommend against using TV's as monitors because they don't offer competitive resolutions.
    Pew Pew Pow Pow Bam Pop Smack

Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    Adding more ram or "upgrading" the mobo doesn't really accomplish anything, FYI. That motherboard can handle Crossfire just fine as long as you use slots 1 and 2, which both are full speed. Might require a new case though to fit the second card to upper slot.

How is the streaming video choppy? Are you sure it's not your internet connection? Streaming video isn't exactly taxing for modern hardware. Have you installed the AMD Catalyst drivers for graphics card? Do games work fine?
    I mean i hope its not my internet im directly connectted and i have verizon fios. I play WOW on ultra and its fine.. Could it be the distance from my router? I do have a 50ft cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlebar View Post
    It's one of two things, either A your internet connection speed, or B your monitor(you are using a large(er) TV as a monitor... it has pretty bad ratio's and it's not really a name brand) nothing in your system should be limiting this, but you do have a LARGE screen and if you are sitting fairly close this will probably be an issue that nothing can fix. I generally recommend against using TV's as monitors because they don't offer competitive resolutions.

Do they make large size monitors? I mean it is an HD tv idk the differences in resolution but is it thay much of a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the video is choppy and of poor quality that typically indicates you don't have a fast enough connection with the server to stream said video. Hardware has very little to do with the quality of this picture(aside from resolution on monitor). With a 38" screen at 1080p(what you're running) you should be sitting something like 5 feet from the screen... Otherwise you notice a drop in quality.
    Is there anything i can do to speed up my connection? Like buy another router beaides the one given to me by verizon? Like a net gear or something thatll run from the fios to the new router and then to my computer?

Deleted
    Run this: http://www.speedtest.net and this http://www.pingtest.net and tell us the results.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is purely, purely anecdotal, but when I got my first Windows 8 machine, with a pretty similar build to yours, it was fucking terrible at streaming youtube or netflix. WoW was fine, no weird latency or anything, just video. And not video I had downloaded, just streaming video. I tried multiple strategies, but this was close to the launch of Windows 8, so there wasn't a lot of help online. It was definitely the machine, because I did it in two different houses and it was the same. I don't know if an update took care of it, or if it just worked itself out, but it just kind of went away and it works fine now. I wish I could offer you actual advice, but if it helps, the solution may rectify itself after a few weeks/months. I'm a firm believer that sometimes system stability takes a couple of weeks of runtime before a new OS can settle down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why this haven't been asked, but have you tried with other browsers? IE?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking into insignia tvs myself not long ago and I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that TV is 720p, which stretched over 38" does not offer the greatest picture quality which would probably explain the discrepancy between your friends (probably 1080p) monitor and your tv. I have no idea how you would check your screen resolution size in windows 8 as I have never used it.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Not sure why this haven't been asked, but have you tried with other browsers? IE?
    No ive only used chrome

10+ Year Old Account
    Try with IE.

Chrome is garbage when handling with Silverlight
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Silverlight is garbage no matter where you use it

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Try with IE.

Chrome is garbage when handling with Silverlight
    so.. you want me to use Internet Explorer..? Isnt that like Voodoo for gamers/computer users... no one uses Internet explorer, its like the retarded step child everyone wants to forget about.

- - - Updated - - -

To Samthing, my results were.

Speedtest: 58.2mbps Download 40.35mbps upload 13ms ping

Pingtest: 0% packetloss 9ms ping 1ms jitter Grade A MOS. 4.40
    Last edited by Taiku; 2014-06-04 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so.. you want me to use Internet Explorer..? Isnt that like Voodoo for gamers/computer users... no one uses Internet explorer, its like the retarded step child everyone wants to forget about.

- - - Updated - - -

Process of elimination. If IE works then you know it was Chrome. You can also try Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    Process of elimination. If IE works then you know it was Chrome. You can also try Firefox.
    Okay, idk why but i opened up my case and moved the graphics card to the first PCI express slot.. and like an asshole i snapped one of those knobby things now my speed test is down to 12 mbps download and 40.35 upload, ping test wasnt affect.. the knob has writing on it and its silver and had two wires going to it, i really hope i didnt destroy my MoBO... the writing says F363 100 16V. Im playing WOW right now with no lag and on ultra, i've yet to try IE. I'm gonna try fire fox first. and i tried to stream iRobot and the quality was poor, but it was streaming fine.. just not 1080P, it seem pixelly and was probably like 480p

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so i opened AMD catalyst and found some options to optimize quality and it really did nothing. Everything is streaming fine now, just the quality is still poor, could it really be just my HDTV not being meant for a PC? please anything could help.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

IE is hyped up to be cancerous, most often coming from uninformed people.

IE is fine, it's not the best but it works.

Armory

Deleted
    So you snapped out a capacitor. Best bet would be to RMA the motherboard before anything else goes wrong, erratic power inputs could cause trouble down the road.

Okay so i've figured out my TV is 1080P 60HZ, my screen resolution is 1920x1080, my upload speed is 40mbps and download is 50mbps with 7 ping. I can play video games on the highest settings. but when using the windows 8 netflix app or even streaming from megashare the video is pixelly and choppy. I'm going to download fire fox later today because im going to work now, then ill try Internet explorer. ANY OTHER things i could try. i downloaded java and silverlight as well

Deleted
    Have you done all your updates? windows, drivers etc?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea sounds like maybe you don't have all driver updates and windows updates. Want to make sure you have the latest versions of Adobe Flash and MS Silverlight as well as any other program you may need for what you're having issues with.

Like one of the posters said previously though, RMA that board before you run into issues that end up costing you money. Looks like the first and third slots are your x16 slots though.

Just noticed your edit, the quality could somewhat have something to do with your TV. Depends I guess. If you have the option to test an actual monitor you could eliminate the possibility.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-06-04 at 02:33 PM.