Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Steelseries V2 decent headset or not so much?

I've been looking into getting a new headset and was thinking in getting Steelseries Siberia V2 - either Nature Vincere or the plain V2 and now am wondering what are your experience with V2?

Specially how comfy it's for long time usage for a medium sized head when wearing classes?
    What's the general mic quality when using mumble/ts/vent (when you use voice activation) and how good does it sound when streaming/recorded footage?
    How's the general sound quality for music?

I switched from my Roccat Kulo to Razer Carcharias due to the Kulo's making my head/ears hurt after I changed my glasses to ones with thinner frame. But unfortunately after using Razer I will never buy USB gaming headset again... The white/crackling noise (bad grounding and USB noises when plugged straight to PC) w/o a separate USB hub is impossible to tolerate in headphones and even then with the hub in between it distorts my mic sound to recorded footage with FRAPS (adds beeps and crackles to it) cause the static is still there. Good for XBOX though when I don't want to wake my BF up when I play. I also use Roccat Kave at another place, but it is not that light nor ideal for long gaming sessions due to it being too heavy for me.

So now I am in need of new headset. V2 seems to have the most positive feedback from amazon/newegg reviews over the other ones. And as I don't want to buy another USB one, there doesn't seem to be that much decent choices with a relatively "cheap" price range that have big earmuffs.

EDIT: Or well found the 4H from Steelseries as well from local shop's store, are those comparable to the V2 or bit worse or better? Or is there any other decent alternatives you see from here and here. I just don't want to spend that much money again on something which I will have to return or find another use for.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2014-06-04 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The V2 are trash compared to the Superlux HD 681. The durability is so much higher.

The SteelSeries may have a little more comfort, but it really suffers in audio quality.

This is coming from someone who's owned a V2, some Razer headsets and serveral Roccat headsets. Never again.

i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    The only downside of these Superlux HD 681 are that they don't have a microphone. I am not fond of getting a separate mic nor have that much table space to place it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    The only downside of these Superlux HD 681 are that they don't have a microphone. I am not fond of getting a separate mic nor have that much table space to place it on.
    Quality head phones without mic + web cam with mic.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I've had the V2 for years before I finally upgraded, and they worked just fine, they're really comfy, audio is decent - not the best for the buck I imagine, but decent - the mic however, is horrible. My friends complained for years and years that my mic was always too low (I played around with EVERY setting I could find, nothing helped), and the overall quality of the mic is rather bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you'd like to bump your prices up from $50, there's always this.

Mic recommendations are also in it.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Quality head phones without mic + web cam with mic.
    Getting the a webcam just for the mic seems pointless waste. As I am not alone in the room where I play in (my BF dog, TV whatnot is in the same living room) I don't want the entire world to hear what's going on in the background nor do I want the excessive keyboard sound to be heard from my mic.

Even if I wouldn't mind this type of setup, I might just as well use the Kulo's mic around the neck and Razer's headphones for sound.

More experiences with the V2s or decent alternatives in price range not above 150-200 euro please.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2014-06-04 at 07:54 AM.

Sorry to barge in like that, but on your link about SuperLux HD68 they recommend an amp. Could you elaborate on that a bit? Currently using AKG K512s and I'm extremely satisfied for the price, but I'm looking for a second pair so I don't have to move my headphones around.

Also, the Zalman ZM-Mic 1 compared to the Antlion Modmic, any info on that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPenguin View Post
    I've had the V2 for years before I finally upgraded, and they worked just fine, they're really comfy, audio is decent - not the best for the buck I imagine, but decent - the mic however, is horrible. My friends complained for years and years that my mic was always too low (I played around with EVERY setting I could find, nothing helped), and the overall quality of the mic is rather bad.
    Maybe your V2 had a broken mic or something. I've never had any problems with my V2s and the mic quality has always been pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have quite good experiences with the mic on these but the audio quality is terrible however, there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKoil View Post
    Can I get a recommendation on some open headphones that are good and in the 30-50 range? TheSuperlux HD 681 is semi open, which may be okay. I need to be able to hear things in my house while my headset is on.

Also, I prefer around the ear to over the ear (they are comfy longer) and cloth over pleather (also for comfort).
    Just an observation, but non removable cloth pads I would avoid. It gets dirty and is harder to clean than leather. If it's removable though, it should be alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean under V2's terrible audio quality? And what are decent alternatives with headphones+mic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Sorry to barge in like that, but on your link about SuperLux HD68 they recommend an amp. Could you elaborate on that a bit? Currently using AKG K512s and I'm extremely satisfied for the price, but I'm looking for a second pair so I don't have to move my headphones around.

Also, the Zalman ZM-Mic 1 compared to the Antlion Modmic, any info on that?
    An AMP basically gives more power to your headphones, if they're underpowered they will underperform.

The HD681 will be fine without an amp, but it'll get better with an amp, It's an optional thing.

Zalman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izROhs9r0Q

Armory

They're pretty pricy, but I like my Skullcandy PLYR1s. Wubs from a wireless headset, believe it.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    They're pretty pricy, but I like my Skullcandy PLYR1s. Wubs from a wireless headset, believe it.
    I've looked some of the wireless gaming headsets w/ mic attached, but I seem discouraged as they are again USB powered... Have plenty of USB noise (even with USB hub to take away the sounds from PC's USB ports) from my Razer...

EDIT: Having a more thorough look the decent ones with a larger receiver (other the the USB stick) go above 200 euro... Which IDK do I want to pay for piece of headphones....
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2014-06-04 at 08:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    What do you mean under V2's terrible audio quality? And what are decent alternatives with headphones+mic?
    HD681 with a Zalman mic (Provided you have decent onboard audio) and you'll be good to go for a while.

Ultimate setup at a reasonable price range would be Audio Technica M50 with a ModMic.

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I am not interested in buying things "via mail", limits the products which I can look at..., but that's why I asked in the first place and linked in my first post the selection of what I can possible choose from on top of the V2s....

Had my Steelseries v2 for about a year now and I have no complaints. decent sound, comfy and durable.

10+ Year Old Account
    How to people here you from the microphone on the V2, low, high, have to play around too much with the settings to make you sound good? How well are the keyboard sounds and stuff going on around you heard by others when you speak?

And if you say that the sound quality is bad... What do you mean under it? Do you have to turn music volume up to hear anything or what else?

10+ Year Old Account
    All headSET's are shit for critical music listening. They're extremely 'colored' or emphasized on fake bass and loudness.
    HeadPHONE + mic is best, always.