Thread: Best tablet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm using Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 edition and it's awesome, I use it for reading mostly, though also some drawing and surfing (as well as an odd game now and then). Love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Does the ipad support a lot of non apple software such as google chrome etc? Would it work with chromecast?
    Chrome for apple is really a safari web-kit wrapper. But most google apps are available for iOS i believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gala...+galaxy+tablet

How is this compared to the ipad?

Heavy ap use... Ipad.

Price conscience... Nexus 7.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the ipad support a lot of non apple software such as google chrome etc? Would it work with chromecast?
    Youtube works for Chromecast, not sure about Netflix and the rest but I guess it would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nexus 7 seems to fit your needs just fine. They run about £170 and up depending on features. If you are up to installing custom ROMs, you can customize them quite a bit, but the Stock ROM is great in any case.

15+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition here. It has some pretty juicy stats and a very good display quality to boot. If you like browsing and watching videos a lot then I can't think of a better tablet right now with the exception of the propietary Kinde Fire HD series but that's heavily Amazon-branded and from my experience with it not really recommendable unless you want to sideload a lot.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Need to mention your price range and intended use.

I have a Surface Pro 3 on pre-order and the bill was $2200 and change with all the extras + tax/shipping. I'm buying it sight unseen based off pre-release reviews and because I own a SP2 that is as strong as any similarly priced laptop but still small and lightweight enough to move around the office with.
    Any interest in selling that SP2? =)

I have a Dell XPS 12, but it doesn't have pen support, and I just spent most of my discretionary funds on gaming towers for me and the wife
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The Nexus 7 is popular, bought one myself - I'm happy with it.
    I got my mom a nexus 7, she seems to like it. I feels very ice and smooth.

Though a new version might come out.

What is your price point? How big do you want it to be? What are you using it for?

And if you want a bigger tablet you can take a look at the nexus 10.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well you have the big boys:
    Apple - iOS - iPad Air w/retina, iPad mini w/retina
    Google - Android - Nexus 10, Nexus 7
    Microsoft - Windows - Surface

iPad Air and mini, has 16g, 32g,64g, and 128g storage and wifi/cellular
    Nexus 10 has 16g/32g and wifi only options
    Nexus 7 has 16g/32g and wifi/cellular
    Surface has options for both storage and processor (64g-512g, i3,i5,i7)

It really depends on what experience you would like and which app store you have invested in already.

I can't really call Surface a tablet as it runs on mobile chips, like a laptop, and the other run on soc's.

There are also plenty of other oems that make Android and Windows devices. Samsung, Sony, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, most of the google services have applications on iOS and they have a chromecast on iOS as well.

Deleted
    I expect there will be a new Nexus 7 this year at some point and a Nexus 8 too supposedly coming soon with 64 bit cpu's.

Sony Xperia Z2 tablet looks cool too, waterproof, slim n etc. Ill probably be buying one soon once i sell my Nexus 7 2013.

Supports ps3/4 controllers and that Sony Gaikai/Playstation 1-4 games streaming service when it comes this year.

If you like toys and features id avoid an ipad, restricted up the ass and missing common features that any other internet enabled device has been doing for years. Stuck with one crap browser and have to use itunes to do anything media related like moving ebooks to it, music, or anything else really. No downloading things through the browser like ebooks, mp3's, films or docs from websites, still relys on itunes pc app like some old Nokias from 2003.

Even need a computer and itunes to set custom ringtones or notice sounds lol.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2014-06-05 at 08:31 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    More importantly: Where do you plan on using your tablet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any reply to this? Looking like the galaxy is the prime candidate for me.

I would either go with the Nexus 7 Tablet or Ipad, As ive had both and had good experiences with them so far

Any reply to this? Looking like the galaxy is the prime candidate for me.
    If you are basically just going to be browsing and streaming on a tablet you really don't need the "labtop in tablet form" that is the surface, or all the bells and whistles (or istore) handcuffs of the Ipads. The nexus is a good option for those purposes.

Flash is really the main pitfall of most tablets. If you intend to use any sites that use flash, make sure to preresearch what it takes to get flash on a tablet before you buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so it seems to be a toss up between the nexus (presuming you mean this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus...pr_product_top) and the galaxy tab 3. I honestly have no idea which one to go for, final opinions? This is mainly for general browsing and streaming, I'd like to have the option to customise it and get some cool games/features on the side also, price doesn't really matter to me. Do they both support netflix and how are they are other streaming websites for series or youtube etc? Would chromecast work with both? I'd also like it to be quick with opening the browsers and such!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by TJ; 2014-06-06 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so it seems to be a toss up between the nexus (presuming you mean this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus...pr_product_top) and the galaxy tab 3. I honestly have no idea which one to go for, final opinions? This is mainly for general browsing and streaming, I'd like to have the option to customise it and get some cool games/features on the side also, price doesn't really matter to me. Do they both support netflix and how are they are other streaming websites for series or youtube etc? Would chromecast work with both? I'd also like it to be quick with opening the browsers and such!
    Cheers.

To be perfectly honest those two are so very close that you might as well just pick the cheapest deal between them both.

I have had a first generation Nexus 7 since it came out. Still works perfectly well and I love it

10+ Year Old Account
    Surface, by far. The Windows 8 interface is perfect for a tablet and the hardware itself just looks gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have an EVGA Tegra Note 7 which I'm quite satisfied with.

I believe it's sold in the UK under the name "Advent Vega Tegra Note 7"

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters