Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    The world is obsessed with moving forward and expanding relentlessly in the face of all stupidity. For a new slimmed down efficient game engine hand-coded in assembler to be generally accepted someone would have to make a company full of extremely smart people and turn everything on its head but in today's dumbed down world that is not going to happen ever again sadly.
    You can't do that kind of low level optimizations on PC. You can do that only on consoles (The Last Of Us according to devs had some very serious optimizations done to get the most out of the PS3, but those optimizations do no translate on the PS 4 version due to the different hardware).

PC game development is very limited. A lot of the work is handled by the API driver, and that isn't something a developer can effect. That's why you get new drivers for better performance in games. Optimizations in driver that the dev couldn't do.

You wanna run your game on 8 or more cores? Sorry, drawcalls can't be executed from more than one core in DirectX and OpenGL on PC. You want full control over memory management? Nope. You want to try an alternative to AFR and SFR? Nope, not going to happen.

DirectX 12 will improve that, but it will also increase the work the devs have to do.

Slightly off-topic: Work on Warcraft 3 began in early 1998, so the engine is at least that old.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Slightly off-topic: Work on Warcraft 3 began in early 1998, so the engine is at least that old.
    I believe the name is probably the only thing that is left over from the original engine.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    Why would they spend millions developing a new engine for a 10year old game? Makes no sense.
    This. A change in tech stack more often than not requires a complete rewrite of code.

New engine for wow its impossible without recreating all existing content on new engine, only option is new game,

New WoW Engine, is it possible?
    Apparently not, Titan was sent back to the drawing board
    I don't see Blizzard making a new engine for WoW though. New character models is one thing, but the entire game?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Deleted
    Unless they totally redo WOW , but then wow is wow and it's beautiful as is , even for its age it is still a masterclass xD
    OT..what has happened to Titan it seems to have totally disappeared ;-((

Deleted
    If you want to see a modern mmo gaming engine, you should play everquest landmark.

Blizzard cant handle the demand of content anymore with their old themepark engine. And they dont even try to handle it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLordDariusCrowley View Post
    You do know that WC3 didn't come out in the 90's, but in the early 00's? WC3: Reign of Chaos was released on the 3rd of July 2002 and The Frozen Throne was released on the 1st of July 2003.
    The engine is only 12 years old (since WC3: RoC's release, so it's probably slightly older)
    You are forgetting about develop time.
    OBEY THE PUG!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    Blizzard said the new file format they're going to use over MPQ should drastically increase load times and slightly increase FPS i believe.
    sounds bad...
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!

10+ Year Old Account
    It would require completely re-writting and re-programming the game.

It would be easier to make a brand new game.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosturn View Post
    sounds bad...
    It's not. Blizzard introduced a brandnew loading bar module. If you want to show off nice loading bars with shiny new and awe-inspiring marquee animations you need to increase loading times.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!