Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wii U Never getting Twitch support

A journalist asked the president of Nintendo America if they had any plans to add in Twitch streaming support to the Wii U, the response, no. Why? "We don't think streaming 30 minutes of gameplay by itself is a lot of fun."

In other words, they haven't figured out how to monetize it for themselves. If they can't get the money from it, why make it easier for others to do so?

I am in no means a Nintendo fan, in fact I haven't touched a Nintendo console since the N64. I do however, find their struggle to find their place without giving in to the strategy that works, while trying to make life harder on the people they are trying to get money from.

Source: http://http://www.polygon.com/2014/6...eaming-because

A lot of Nintendo's policies are archaic. They just don't really "get" new media. While I love all of their head honchos, I sometimes feel like they really need a shakeup in upper management to get with the times.

The hardware isn't capable of it. The ps4 was designed with it in mind, and has 1 gb of system ram reserved for it. The Wii U has 1 gb of system ram TOTAL. This should be obvious.

Nintendo does allow you to upload straight to youtube from your Wii U, which is about all you can realistically expect from the console.

Nintendo is...well...run by a bunch of Japs. They are unfamiliar with the new American trends, such as Twitch. And, ofcourse, no video game company nowadays ever makes a decision that requires major resources to implement (as is in this case) unless they can earn money from it. Twitch doesn't pay Nintendo revenues for money earned off of Wii U streams, and no one is going to pay Nintendo money to stream Wii U. Nintendo doesn't realize that they'll get more Wii U sales if they implement Twitch. But, as said before, the Japs don't quite understand American trends (just as Americans can't figure out Jap trends), and the resources that would go into it would border the extremes for a post-launch patch of this magnitude.

Edit: I say "Japs" because it's faster to type. My apologies if I insulted anyone.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2014-06-13 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Nintendo is...well...run by a bunch of Japs. They are unfamiliar with the new American trends, such as Twitch.
    Might want to watch how you abbreviate a race of people, because that is a racial slur to Japanese people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The hardware isn't capable of it. The ps4 was designed with it in mind, and has 1 gb of system ram reserved for it. The Wii U has 1 gb of system ram TOTAL. This should be obvious.

Nintendo does allow you to upload straight to youtube from your Wii U, which is about all you can realistically expect from the console.
    ^ this
    Nintendo needs to upgrade a little more their hardware to benefit from extras like twitch...
    Spec: i5 4670k - MSI Z87M-G43 - HyperX 8GB -Corsair H100 - GTX 980 ti

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? Twitch is for my PC, not consoles.

lets not forget that like less than 1% of a consoles userbase is actually going to be using the built in streaming options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IISlayerxII View Post
    ^ this
    Nintendo needs to upgrade a little more their hardware to benefit from extras like twitch...
    No, nintendo is a japanese based company and their mentality towards gaming is very different to ours, gaijingoomba is always giving insight on the japanese mentality.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    lets not forget that like less than 1% of a consoles userbase is actually going to be using the built in streaming options.
    This so much. Console gamers don't want to watch other people play console games; they just want to play console games. Those are the facts boys.

10+ Year Old Account
    good

10char
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Nintendo is behind the times. Nothing new. Not that Twitch stream is some groundbreaking feature in next gen console but Nintendo has always been behind Microsoft and Sony in this regard. They innovate in some ways and very old fashioned in others.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    No, nintendo is a japanese based company and their mentality towards gaming is very different to ours, gaijingoomba is always giving insight on the japanese mentality.
    Sony is Japanese based too. The difference is Sony knows the western market is more important hence why PS4 was launched in North America first and Nintendo doesn't.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2014-06-13 at 02:12 AM.

This so much. Console gamers don't want to watch other people play console games; they just want to play console games. Those are the facts boys.
    Don't go speaking for all PC gamers either. I couldn't name a single twitch "gaming personality". It might not be a passing fad but watching someone else play a game isn't my idea of entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Sony a Japanese company?

God, if only there was some way to stream games without it being built into the system!

10+ Year Old Account
    No Twitch? Well, that settles it. I'm never getting a WII U now!!!!111
    "The Xbox one sucks and the PS4 isn't as Ready as my Body" - Reggie Fils-Aime

My Friend Code is 1864 - 9258 - 8679 PM me if you add me so I can add you back!

Plenty of console players are watching and streaming via twitch. PC overshadows it by a mile, sure. New games, like GTA5, Titanfall, and now the Destiny Alpha are being viewed by console gamers wanting to see how the next game is measuring up.

Twitch support keeps the streaming integrated, it is currently THE video game streaming platform. Sony picked that up real quick after they initially went with UStream service during console announcements.

OT: Wii U doesn't need it tbh. Streamers are using third party hardware/software to stream the console currently and I don't see Nintendo releasing another Wii U with upgraded processing power.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    God, if only there was some way to stream games without it being built into the system!
    How? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I honestly don't know how you would go about streaming a console game on your TV unless it was built in to the console. I mean, aside from like, using something to point at your TV screen and record, like a phone, which would be a little sad...

Though this feature is definitely not a dealbreaker for me. May buy one for SSB alone, though I'm also down for picking up the new mariokart/zeldas...
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

It's a shame, but it's also not a big deal. Though I do with they would at least allow the WiiU to capture video and make that sharable in the Miiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    How? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I honestly don't know how you would go about streaming a console game on your TV unless it was built in to the console. I mean, aside from like, using something to point at your TV screen and record, like a phone, which would be a little sad...

Though this feature is definitely not a dealbreaker for me. May buy one for SSB alone, though I'm also down for picking up the new mariokart/zeldas...
    You can get a capture card for your PC.

Basically they are now small USB devices that have an HDMI input that you can plug your console into. And it will run directly off the computer instead of a TV allowing for a perfect video capture.
    Last edited by Keile; 2014-06-13 at 02:07 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

I dont really see the issue with a system not having built in streaming support, As it stands now any streamer worth their salt will have a capture card\ PC in the mix, that easily allows any system with HDMI output (and even others) to be shown/played live. Why should Nintendo and ultimately all the people who buy the console subsidize the extremely small percentage of players who will actually stream.
    Last edited by ben-; 2014-06-13 at 02:20 PM.