Poll: Is access to health care a right or privilege?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ...
    Also the question at hand has been answered by society already. Free clinics exist. If you're brought to an emergency room or have to be taken there by an ambulance, you will be given treatment. Medical care, in situations where it is deemed necessary, is given unconditionally. So we as a developed society, have collectively agreed that health care is an inherent right, and the revocation of these rights would involve changing the fundamental ways in which we respond to medical emergencies. Now if you're referring to affordable medical care, or health insurance, that's another issue entirely, insurance is so intrinsically linked to medicine, you can't really divorce one from the other and still function.

I like to think of it this way, it's a privilege for you to go to someone who trained in the medical field to be able to provide you with care. Their skills are not a right for you, people seem to forget the people who have actually worked and trained in the field of care, and believe the skills those people have are right for you. You should be thankful that people go into this field to be able to treat people and care for them, you should not see it as something you are entitled to.

Sure there should be easy or affordable access to it, but I think when you rely upon someone else it is not a right, the only rights you should be entitled to are things you can do without relying upon the skills of others and taking them for granted.

That's an interesting general perspective, although this particular example is probably not the best; since those in the profession swear an oath that basically disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    That's an interesting general perspective, although this particular example is probably not the best; since those in the profession swear an oath that basically disagrees with you.
    And since when did man made oaths dictate transcendent inherent rights?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Assume no one went into medicine, then you wouldn't have anyone to treat you, so it's not something everyone is entitled to, it's just not a right. You should be thankful people go into this field to treat others NOT feel entitled to their skills, that is just selfishness.

Since always? Rights are compiled and decided on by society, in the best interest of itself and its members. A right to free speech didn't exist before the United States, and STILL doesn't exist in many areas of the world. A right does not have to be universal to be inherent. Ones rights change depending on the society in which one resides in.

I believe that cheap healthcare could be a thing one day but healthcare has become a business especially to pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies. Until the greed surrounding those issues is acknowledge and seen as the problem that it is, all you're doing robbing the rich (or middle class) to pay for the poor. That's not the solution it's throwing a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Since always? Rights are compiled and decided on by society, in the best interest of itself and its members. A right to free speech didn't exist before the United States, and STILL doesn't exist in many areas of the world. A right does not have to be universal to be inherent. Ones rights change depending on the society in which one resides in.
    Do you actually realize what the word inherent means? I mean, the definition of inherent is "existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inherent?s=t) and you say that it is something that changes depending on the society?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    Rights inherently are just something constructed on the opinions of people.

It seems that healthcare as a right is far more popular than some things we already consider rights.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    It's the endus. Tell me 'the endus', do you believe that all humans have an inherent right to some things, and then please detail me onto how we know when someone has forfeited that right by any method other than personal opinionated interpretations?
    I think the question is fundamentally silly and irrelevant.

If you're going to suggest that rights are "inherent", but can be recognized or not by governments willy-nilly, than their being inherent is meaningless. It doesn't "do" anything. Nor is it universally acknowledged. It's a silly claim, on its face.

If you want to argue that rights are self-evident, in a democratic and free society, well, that's a completely different argument, and is predicated on the idea that certain rights should be protected, obviously. It still puts the creation and protection of those rights on the government in question.

Take the right to free speech. A lot of nations see this as a right. But others don't; China for example. Claiming that Chinese people have an inherent right to free speech is silly. They don't have any such right, because their government doesn't recognize it. That's bad, and most of us would agree with that, but the simple reality is that they do not have such a right.

That doesn't challenge the validity of the right to free speech. But claiming that they're "inherent" doesn't make any sense at all. There's nothing about being human that gives you rights; it's a fundamental part of a society that holds freedom as an ideal. And those societies are human creations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    You should be thankful people go into this field to treat others NOT feel entitled to their skills, that is just selfishness.
    I don't have a problem with people feeling like they are entitled to my help - I do it because I want to help other people, it makes me feel good and happy about what I do.

They could pay me a little more though :>