New build thoughts + motherboard question

So this is the conclusion I've come up with.
    I'm going to use the XFX 550W Bronze PSU I have currently.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X4Tn8d
    Thoughts?

Also, I am confused on the motherboard options. I don't play on OC'ing
    What is the difference between the ASUS Z97-A vs. the Z97-C and others?? Which one would I need if I'm not going to overclock?

Thanks

Deleted
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Budget: What is listed in the PCPartPicker link
    1920×1080
    WoW: Highest 25m raids, DoTA, HotS
    Any other intensive software or special things you do? No
    USA
    550W XFX Bronze PSU
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals: No

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.95 @ Amazon)
    Other: SSD Crucial MX100 256GB ($110.00)
    Total: $931.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 18:04 EDT-0400)

Build around the same price, better GPU for just a little extra, overclocking is an option but not a must. For 25m raid performance you want as much power out of your CPU as possible, no reason not to at that budget anyways. Just some tweaks on RAM, HDD etc. to fit it all in.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-06-09 at 10:08 PM.

So what is the difference between the 4670k vs. the new 4690? I was told the K means that it can be overclocked?
    Does the same apply to the motherboard?

Deleted
    Added clarification to why I changed what I did.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're hellbent on not having the option to OC down the line then you might as well save some money, all other parts can stay the same but change MB/CPU, remove the CPU heatsink and use stock:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.66 @ Newegg)
    Total: $298.66
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 18:10 EDT-0400)

Ok that makes sense, I could just learn how to OC. Now would it be worth it to just wait a couple weeks for the 4690k?
    The only reason I was looking into parts that can't be OC'd is because they tending to be slightly cheaper. I'm sure I could learn how to use it to benefit my build. I just figured since I'm only going to play a few games that I would never need to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Commandokev View Post
    Ok that makes sense, I could just learn how to OC. Now would it be worth it to just wait a couple weeks for the 4690k?
    100MHz difference, possibly (not guaranteed) better overclocking potential but nothing major. If you're in no rush then sure wait, if not then it's no big deal.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-06-09 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    To start with you can always try auto-overclocking, I have no experience with the feature on Gigabyte boards (Asus user here) though manual overclock is almost always better and it's honestly not that difficult, just takes a bit of time of testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I have no experience with the feature on Gigabyte boards (Asus user here) though manual overclock is almost always better and it's honestly not that difficult, just takes a bit of time of testing.
    Almost everyone I haven't spoken with on many different forums prefer ASUS. Is this a preference or is ASUS a better product?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, wait for the new processors. The i7's have been highly impressive in actual overclocking situations(5.5 on air). No reason tho think the i5's won't be similar.
    In competition

Also the i7 overall seems very attractive but the differences with the i5 is less "wow".

- - - Updated - - -

Almost everyone I haven't spoken with on many different forums prefer ASUS. Is this a preference or is ASUS a better product?
    They're my prefered brand when it comes to motherboards but you tend to pay a higher price for roughly the same on paper compared to other brands. I would say most of the big brands now are fairly close. I like their fan control options better and from what I've seen the auto-tuning is better overall but it also depends on luck of the draw with your CPU.

Preference. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and ASRock are all pretty much equal at this point, with ASRock probably being the "worst" out of the 4. However, I use the term "worst" loosely because the difference is almost completely negligible. Simply put, there are minor differences in features and build quality but as long as you pick either of those 4 brands, you can't really go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.95 @ Amazon)
    Other: SSD Crucial MX100 256GB ($110.00)
    Total: $931.88
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-09 18:04 EDT-0400)
    Ok, I have pre-ordered the i5 4690K. Do you recommend anything change in this build with that CPU? I was thinking about going with the ASUS Z97-A

Deleted
    The Asus Z97-A is a good board, so go right ahead with that.

NZXT Respire T40 (CPU HS) is a little quiter, around the same performance and a few dollars cheaper.