Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    If not wanting to hang out with somebody that just happens to be a different race is considered racist, then truly the term 'racism' has lost all meaning and impact.
    You're right but that bolded part is the key turning point. If you don't hang out with them BECAUSE they're a certain race. You're twisting words and look like a child in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You seem to be confused.

If you don't hang out with someone just because they're religious, it's discriminatory in much the same way that not hanging out with someone just because of their race is. This isn't even a difficult concept to grasp.
    Yet avoiding the religious because they are religious is viewed as common practice in our society. "Don't get the door! Its a jehovah's witness..."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Uhm, no? Because jocks and nerds aren't races? Wtf kind of response is that?
    Because its the same exact idea... putting somebody on a higher pedestal than somebody else.

That is, by definition, racism, because one race TO YOU, is inferior in SOME way to make you WANT to have a preference. You're a racist, but not as big a racist as a Klan member. We're not talking about their hobbies, not their personalities, but their race. If you CHOOSE to PREFER a race over another because they have some inherent "up" that the other races don't that you're more inclined to gravitate towards, you're being racist, by the book definition. Deal with it.
    Racism is the belief that one race is inherently superior. Personal preference does not indicate that kind of belief at all.

Saying that you like anchovy pizzas better than pepperoni pizzas is not the same as stating that anchovy pizzas are inherently superior to pepperoni pizzas and that the world should accept that pepperoni pizzas should be ruled by the anchovy pizzas.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-06-12 at 06:39 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    I think he is just trying to make the point that society is so PC nowadays the people will call "racism" on anything. I'm fairly certain he knows jocks and nerds arent races. He is just using it as a relatable scenario.
    Which I wasn't saying. At all. He knew my point was correct so he twisted it and turned it into a completely other argument just to make a point. That's called being an idiot.

You're right but that bolded part is the key turning point. If you don't hang out with them BECAUSE they're a certain race. You're twisting words and look like a child in this debate.
    And that's not what I said... this has got to be the worst attempt at putting words into somebody else's mouth that I have seen. Not to mention that post you quoted was an explanation post for the person who apparently missed the bolded part in the first place and raged because of said mistake.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

15+ Year Old Account
    "People are so busy on their phones that they don't look up and see the world around them. Our society has been going downhill ever since the smartphone! This generation is so absorbed in their own little world!"

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Yet avoiding the religious because they are religious is viewed as common practice in our society. "Don't get the door! Its a jehovah's witness..."

Because its the same exact idea... putting somebody on a higher pedestal than somebody else.

Racism is the belief that one race is inherently superior. Personal preference does not indicate that kind of belief at all.
    It's the same principles, but we aren't talking about that, we are talking about racism and races, that makes zero sense towards my argument.

Personal preference is exactly that, you have a preference, FOR A REASON, that's why a preference EXISTS. Are you serious right now?

- - - Updated - - -

And that's not what I said... this has got to be the worst attempt at putting words into somebody else's mouth that I have seen. Not to mention that post you quoted was an explanation post for the person who apparently missed the bolded part in the first place and raged because of said mistake.
    You're twisting MY words, don't even right now kiddo.

It's the same principles, but we aren't talking about that, we are talking about racism and races, that makes zero sense towards my argument.

Personal preference is exactly that, you have a preference, FOR A REASON, that's why a preference EXISTS. Are you serious right now?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait? I have a reason? Weird that things have reasons, its almost as if that's why everything happens... because of these 'reasons'. Are you implying that that reason is that I believe that one race is inherently superior to another race and that the former race should rule over the latter race? Or are you just flapping your lips?

My point is, why should racism matter more than choosing to not 'hang out' with somebody based on another reason? Why is it worse to not hang out with somebody because of their skin color than it is to not hang out with somebody because of their GPA, or their fitness, or their religion?

- - - Updated - - -

Where am I twisting your words? Give me an example.

Wait? I have a reason? Weird that things have reasons, its almost as if that's why everything happens... because of these 'reasons'. Are you implying that that reason is that I believe that one race is inherently superior to another race and that the former race should rule over the latter race? Or are you just flapping your lips?

My point is, why should racism matter more than choosing to not 'hang out' with somebody based on another reason? Why is it worse to not hang out with somebody because of their skin color than it is to not hang out with somebody because of their GPA, or their fitness, or their religion?

- - - Updated - - -

Where am I twisting your words? Give me an example.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

" poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others"

Little Billy prefers to hang with the Asian kids because they can play baseball better and he loves baseball. That is referencing the fact that out of every group Little Billy has to choose from for hanging out with, he chooses to hang with the Asian kids because they're known to be better at Baseball. This makes them inherently superior to the other races/groups, because of the supposed prowess at baseball, which is why Little Billy chooses them and not the others. This is called a personal preference, he is basing his decision and personal preference on the fact that they're ASIAN and good at baseball. Not that they all wear sunhats and play baseball. This has been an ass whooping and schooling on your part from good ole me. You're welcome for correcting your misinformation.
    Last edited by Realsykes; 2014-06-12 at 06:55 AM.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

" poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others"

Little Billy prefers to hang with the Asian kids because they can play baseball better and he loves baseball. That is referencing the fact that out of every group Little Billy has to choose from for hanging out with, he chooses to hang with the Asian kids because they're known to be better at Baseball. This makes them inherently superior to the other races/groups, because of the supposed prowess at baseball, which is why Little Billy chooses them and not the others. This is called a personal preference, he is basing his decision and personal preference on the fact that they're ASIAN and good at baseball. Not that they all wear sunhats and play baseball. This has been an ass whooping and schooling on your part from good ole me. You're welcome for correcting your misinformation.
    I believe it is different to think "All Asians are better than all whites" than it is to think "Asians tend to be more intellectually accomplished than whites". Of course, the whole 'poor treatment of or violence against' part is completely unrelated.

You seem to be confusing the application of statistics or prior supported beliefs with arbitrary personal opinions based on nothing but smite and hatred. There is a difference between saying "Black people are better at basketball/baseball than white people" and saying "Black people as a race are superior to white people as a race".

I think you don't have enough data to make such a claim. You'd want to compare it to the past, and if history is anything to go by I'd say we've gotten a lot better.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    So wait first you say social degeneration is happening for certain, then finish with "possible"?
    Besides, I disagree and your examples are heavily affected by different opinions and cultures. Some social degeneration is happening for sure, like the loss of grammar, punctuation etc, but in the big picture I don't see it going downhill.

Deleted
    I personally would prefer to hang out with a hot girl than somebody with horrible bodily deformities all over them. Does that make me the same as being a racist?
    Of course it does on a biological level. Beauty = Healthy This simple equation is hardwired to you and that's why you want to see those panties droppin' and drippin' in her loins. Nature has its ways to make you long for sex and to have sex that yields best offspring results. If you are not successful to pick any fish, then you must settle with less even though you want to fuck that supermodel on the billboard across the street.

This is only a play of semantics. I agree with Spectral that you are racist because of your innate preferences, but so fucking what. It's not like you'll be called racist in a way most people mean it when they swing the word around meaninglessly.

Am I being homophobic because I assumed you'd like to get into some hot chick's panties rather than some dude's ass?
    Last edited by mmoc1c1d6a1668; 2014-06-12 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    Of course it does on a biological level. Beauty = Healthy This simple equation is hardwired to you and that's why you want to see those panties droppin' and drippin' in her loins. Nature has its ways to make you long for sex and to have sex that yields best offspring results. If you are not successful to pick any fish, then you must settle with less even though you want to fuck that supermodel on the billboard across the street.

This is only a play of semantics. I agree with Spectral that you are racist because of your innate preferences, but so fucking what. It's not like you'll be called racist in a way most people mean it when they swing the word around meaninglessly.

Am I being homophobic because I assumed you'd like to get into some hot chick's panties rather than some dude's ass?
    you subscribe to an ideology that is destructive to western culture
    it is not anyones duty to love you for any reason, including race

every single person gravitates to people like themselves
    untill they are indoctrinated to do otherwise (like yourself)
    egalitarian myths are pervasive, and the idea that people are interchangeable is not only wrong its destructive

"im proud to be black" says the black man
    "im proud to be latino" says the latino lady
    "im proud to be white" says the racist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If someone's going to argue over what the term means, it's time to break out the proper definition.
    See, I think this is where societal problems stem from (and just quickly, I'm not having a go at you, Nixx).

Freedom of information is simply causing people to no longer be allowed to follow their instincts, apply their own judgements, or be their own people. We're currently living in an online age where people are comfortable wasting hours arguing about things that, honestly, don't matter; they don't matter because a bit of lateral thinking can easily help people to understand one another, but anti-social (or asocial) behaviour patterns turn most discussions into a never-ending cascade of desperate one-upmanship. Whether or not this is deliberate is up for debate, but either way we just don't communicate very well online.

To me, that's where I think society is starting to break down.

The advent of the Internet has given people the most extraordinary amount of information at their fingertips, but what it can't do is help people to communicate said information with one another. Even the most cursory glance around an online forum will tell you that there are too many people who are all too willing to indict someone for making a point that might not necessarily be 100% correct and/or logical. What this invariably leads to is a character assassination based on a lack of context between the two individuals having a discussion. Education standards are being lowered across the board because people don't need to know an awful lot; they just need to be able to look it up. And where once the schoolyard or classroom provided interpersonal relationships that helped to develop basic social ettiquette so that people could share their ideas, more and more young people are foregoing this part of their development entirely.

If I were to TL, DR all this, it'd be by simply saying that we're getting worse at communicating.

Alas, I think Pandora's Box has been opened. The only way to revert this type of phenomenon would be to revert back to a world without such a dizzying amount of information in such easy reach, so that people would become more dependent upon one another again. We're in a world where the word "dependent" is treated as some kind of weakness, but all it's implying is that you can't do or be everything yourself - you need other people in order to make your world work, whether in an obtuse or acute sense. I shouldn't need to justify why I love my family and friends, or why I do things that don't benefit me in the least, but that's the online world we're a part of. Checks, balances and rebuttles.

The other problem with the Internet and its information is that it's causing people to believe they're educated on subjects that they're not, and then proceed with that belief in mind. Again, there are too many discussions where people start interjecting with links or sources that they've quickly googled and pass themselves off as some kind of authority on the subject. Once more, they typically run into the self same problem of communication because they don't truly understand what they're trying to convey, so dogmatically repeat themselves until any dissent runs out of patience.

Meh, I'm just rambling now.

I suppose I worry that we live in a world with unprecedented access to communication. Unfortunately, I believe we're using that access to try and silence those who don't believe what we believe and, ultimately, that's a terrible thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    untill they are indoctrinated to do otherwise (like yourself)
    Why am I indoctrinated?

Why am I indoctrinated?
    Because apparently you don't confine yourself to spending time only with people just like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Because apparently you don't confine yourself to spending time only with people just like you.
    Damn, he got me. I am a white male living in the central EU, all my friends and family are white, I oppose ethnic multiculturalism (or rather ethnic assimilation) and I am a racist.
    Last edited by mmoc1c1d6a1668; 2014-06-12 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Everything started going to Hell after Knight Rider was cancelled.
    Kitt would have saved us

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, he got me. I am a white male living in the central EU, all my friends and family are white, I oppose ethnic multiculturalism (or rather ethnic assimilation) and I am a racist.
    and you like small girls

Deleted
    So all introverts are "socially degenerate"?

I have a few med school psych teachers that might disagree with you on that one.

And guess what; I'm starting to dislike people too - not because of my work where I deals with thousands of people but because.. of the Internet, more specifically social media such as Twitter, Tumblr, forums etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    and you like small girls
    I am not from Germany.