Comcast Internet is slow when downloading stuff.

when i was downloading large games from steam or any file from any other source, it would hit a speed of 4-5 mbps.
    for the past couple of months everything i download was around 1 mbps.
    i got a replacement for my old modem and router hoping that this issue would go away but it hasn't and it is still there, still 1mb when downloading something.
    ran a speed test and it had a download speed of 7mbps.

im struggling to find why is it 1mbps when downloading something like a game or a big file?
    i have tried downloading from 3 different computers and it was around the same speed of 1mbps and i use Ethernet cable .
    Last edited by Elian; 2014-06-11 at 07:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Which download servers are you using?
    2. Is it 1Mbps or 1MB/s?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Run a Glasnost test.

Find out if your ISP is packet shaping your interwebs.

10+ Year Old Account
    7.62Mbps = around 970Kbps which is what your getting whats the problem?
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    7.62Mbps = around 970Kbps which is what your getting whats the problem?
    like i said, i used to have about 4 Mbps like 3 months ago when i was downloading stuff from steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much do you actually pay for?

Also, please answer the second question
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

steam measures download in MB (MegaByte) not mb (megabit) (capitalising is very important!)

1MB = 8mb

your speed test says 7.6mb, steam see's this as just under 1MB (probably due to flucuation or rounding it reports 1MB instead of going into KB)

if what you say is true about previously steam reporting 4-5MB downloads (which is around 32mb) then you should probably contact your ISP!

Sounds like your service got downgraded somewhere. Did you call trying to reduce your bill? Maybe some asshat put in the wrong code when changing your service.

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    How much do you actually pay for?

Also, please answer the second question
    $58 per month. with that price downloads used to be super fast. 4-5 MB.
    i guess it's 1 MB/s.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is the speed guaranteed for that price (that's what they asked, not how much you actually pay for it).

Remember: 8mbps = 1MBps (8 bits = 1 Byte).

So if you are paying for 40mbps, you could max download 8MBps, which is unlikely... 4MBps is more realistic (which is 16mbps).

Also regarding your speed test in OP. You are 7900 miles from San Jose? Or are you using a VPN? If so, your VPN may be throttling your download speeds.
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2014-06-11 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    What is the speed guaranteed for that price (that's what they asked, not how much you actually pay for it).

Remember: 8mbps = 1MBps (8 bits = 1 Byte).

So if you are paying for 40mbps, you could max download 8MBps, which is unlikely... 4MBps is more realistic (which is 16mbps).

Also regarding your speed test in OP. You are 7900 miles from San Jose? Or are you using a VPN? If so, your VPN may be throttling your download speeds.
    That should be 40Mbps=5MBps and 2MBps=16Mbps.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    when i was downloading large games from steam or any file from any other source, it would hit a speed of 4-5 mbps.
    i got a replacement for my old modem and router hoping that this issue would go away but it hasn't and it is still there, still 1mb when downloading something.

im struggling to find why is it 1mbps when downloading something like a game or a big file?
    i have tried downloading from 3 different computers and it was around the same speed of 1mbps and i use Ethernet cable .
    If you were getting speeds 4-5x higher back then, and nothing you've been doing has changed, why don't you check with your ISP? Those speed tests and ISPs advertise in bits(Mbps), not bytes(MBps).

What plan are you actually on?

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html#

Has anyone else noticed that the speed test is getting routed 7,950 miles? That's 25~ miles longer than the Earth at its widest point. Something odd is definitely going on, likely malware rerouting traffic via VPS into Russia/China/wherever and then back.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

poorly configured Tor network? (assuming thats possible for the average user)

what about being behind a proxy server (or several)?

For sure what the poster above said. I tested from the east coast canada and didnt even hit 3k mi (assuming that it is indeed miles).

Your traffic is probably going all the way from your house, to china, to the speed test server in usa, back to china, and finally back to your house.. therefore the distance and the slow response/download speeds.
    Last edited by wowaccounttom; 2014-06-12 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post

You realize the distance is almost 8,000 miles away from you? It's obvious that is the problem here. Try a server closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the speed test is getting routed 7,950 miles? That's 25~ miles longer than the Earth at its widest point. Something odd is definitely going on, likely malware rerouting traffic via VPS into Russia/China/wherever and then back.
    I tried http://speedtest.comcast.net/ and it said 2400m, which is correct. So there's some kind of proxy or something else that's rerouting his connection. Either way, I still don't understand why you don't call your ISP.