Why have we not reached a standard for portable consoles and mobile network access?

PS Vita tried it, but that's the only one afaik. You put in your SIM card, and have access to online play everywhere, truly making the console portable.

You'd think they go for it with the Switch, that would be perfect, but nope.

There are even laptops with a SIM slot nowadays, and it's becoming more common. Why hasn't it become a standard for portable gaming?

Don't know about other countries, but playing/downloading over a mobile connection would be way to expensive in germany. Nobody would use such a feature, especilly with WLAN widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Don't know about other countries, but playing/downloading over a mobile connection would be way to expensive in germany. Nobody would use such a feature, especilly with WLAN widely available.
    It doesn't really drain that much of your data. Well, I guess it depends on the game, but I remember making my mobile a wi-fi hotspot to game on my Switch with I played for like an hour of Mario Kart and didn't even spend 100 megabytes of data.

How are the data plans in Germany? here in Sweden you get like 20-50 Gigabyte for basically nothing.

https://www.imore.com/how-much-data-...ndo-switch-use
    Fortnite doesn't use much, either.
    Last edited by Deathknightish; 2021-01-18 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    It doesn't really drain that much of your data. Well, I guess it depends on the game, but I remember making my mobile a wi-fi hotspot to game on my Switch with I played for like an hour of Mario Kart and didn't even spend 100 megabytes of data.

How are the data plans in Germany? here in Sweden you get like 20-50 Gigabyte for basically nothing.

https://www.imore.com/how-much-data-...ndo-switch-use
    Fortnite doesn't use much, either.
    Ooof, Finland has very cheap unlimited data connections
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

We have smartphones.