Thread: Alt Graveyard

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alt Graveyard

I've been leveling a Warlock recently. I haven't been rushing him, as I have several other characters I play regularly, but have been steady on him for about a week. I had been cruising along and everything was going really well. I got to 64 in Hellfire and headed to Nagrand. Almost instantly I felt like I didn't want to play that character anymore.

Over the course of the day I pondered my change of heart. I've enjoyed the class (as much as one can enjoy leveling with full enchanted heirlooms). I've found that I really like the troll animations (only other troll I've played was a feral druid). So, what happened?

I realized that I have six or seven other characters parked in Nagrand that I never touch... some for 5+ years.

I'm not 100% convinced that Nagrand is what kills my will to level, but something makes me give up on characters when they are going through that zone.

What zone is your alt graveyard?

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Pandaria and have quite a few sitting at 85 that I just don't want to drag through questing there. Some of the Cataclysm zones are pretty awful too, but since they nerfed the xp needed to level 80-85, they've been a little more tolerable.

Deleted
    Why don't you level up somewhere else than nagrand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Try a different direction this time. Dungeon or PvP through the same levels. Do Blades Edge Mountains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question- if you don't like Nagrand...

...why do you keep going to Nagrand?
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

Somewhere in the realm of Borean Tundra and Dragonblight, although it used to be much worse than it is these days where 2 rounds of quest turn-ins grant you a level.

TBC and then again in pandaria so like 62 and 86-87 once i push through those it goes fast

Deleted
    I don't really know how you can get stuck at Outlands, 60-68 is superfast, can be done in a day really. The quests are simple, the zones are easy to navigate, the mob difficulty is trivial, there are tons of dungeons you can do for the dungeon quests and also a lot of group quests that can be soloed/call in help for hefty amounts of exp. Nagrand is probably the most tedious zone in Outlands because of all the beast grinding, but you can just launch up an audiobook or a movie while doing those and the time will fly by.

It's not the zone.

You get tired of this game more easily the longer your career. Think about the gameplay. You press the SAME skills thousands of times, they never change. You do the same quests with different text throughout the entire game.

Go here, get/kill/activate/talk to X thing/person/place Y times, turn it in. The only things that change from one quest to another are the visuals of the NPCs and the objectives, the text in the quest log and the location. They're all exactly the same things, presented to you differently.

It never changes. You're just getting tired of the game and the way it plays. You grind out a character and then get tired of it because this game is not challenging you at all. No physics to worry about, no skill required. You just memorize your abilities and repeat them over and over until you can't bear to log in anymore. It comes with playing the game for years and years. You go through these zones and do the same thing so many times and it becomes stale. We as human beings are entertained by things we are new to. The more we experience something, the less it entertains us. You can only drain so much enjoyment out of the game before you lose interest. Try setting a goal.

Right now, my goal keeping me going is hitting 90 so I can tank for my guild. I wouldn't even be playing if not for that specific goal. It's been 9 years for me, the idea of starting over makes me sick.

Well honestly doing questing to level, it might be fun and different but really the fastest way to level is just hit any zone, do a few quests while in queue for dungeons

When i am leveling a toon past hellfire, or even 15-60, i just queue up dungeons, go hit a zone that is yellow it doesnt even matter, because with heirlooms and how fast queues are generally at lower levels, by the time you complete a few quests, another queue, and if you find a group who wants to queue again instantly, you can roll through multiple dungeons fast

Since you cant stop yourself from gaining so many levels so fast, other than turning off xp (but that would defeat purpose of leveling up...) any zone is never going to get completed, even without dungeons, hell i remember in vanilla you HAD to clear an entire zone, like every quest, just to get 1-2 levels, getting to 60 pretty much almost required you to do all content, 50-60 took the longest...i also remember grinding mobs on my priest in ungoro, for 2-3 hours just killing raptors and what not, just to gain 1 level...it was that bad (/rosetinted goggles off)

I always hated the trend that game got faster and easier as we went, i miss the days of feeling like gaining a few levels in a day was progress, not 1-60 in 2 days, then a day to 70, day to 80, etc, 7 days to 90? i'm sure some of those hardcore people can do it in 4-5 days

Although its awesome how fast it is too, because who wants to slog though leveling to 90, the game starts at max level really, so faster the better? but for those old school players like myself, it was nice for a few years to stop and enjoy the game, slow progress that felt good...so its really a blessing and a curse

One last example, back in cataclysm i took my shaman from 60-70 in a day, just doing dungeons, i think i completed 4 total quests in hellfire...4...rest was all dungeons, as resto i was able to just casually heal groups, playing semi-afk, just cruising along, toss on some music, and good to go, and that was back in cata...i can imagine it can be done even faster these days, so as i said originally...dungeons are your friend, straight through, forget questing only for filler or downtime

Do you have heirlooms on your character, OP? You can get a 50% XP bonus with all the available ones. The excess XP, perhaps combined with dungeon running, will let you skip many zones while leveling.

But anyway, to answer your question OP: my alts tend to get hung up around lvl 85.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2014-06-11 at 04:27 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Dread waste. I like about every zone in the game aside of that one, of just generally pandaria questing in general. It's not that fun after 10 times anyway. I still find Nagrand one of the best zones and it was one of the zones i enjoyed a lot at the time, along with vashj'r

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    Question- if you don't like Nagrand...

...why do you keep going to Nagrand?
    Nowhere did I say that I don't like Nagrand.

I loved the zone when TBC was current, and have always looked forward to going there while leveling.

But... maybe I actually don't like it afterall. With this new revelation I will be rerouting my trip henceforth.

I created the thread for discussion, and not as a way to bitch about a zone/leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleHank View Post
    Nowhere did I say that I don't like Nagrand.

I loved the zone when TBC was current, and have always looked forward to going there while leveling.

But... maybe I actually don't like it afterall. With this new revelation I will be rerouting my trip henceforth.

I created the thread for discussion, and not as a way to bitch about a zone/leveling.
    I'm not trying to provoke you. But you're getting stuck on semantics. You get to Nagrand, and you stop. So stop going to Nagrand and see if things get better. Run dungeons. Level in another zone.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    I'm not trying to provoke you. But you're getting stuck on semantics. You get to Nagrand, and you stop. So stop going to Nagrand and see if things get better. Run dungeons. Level in another zone.
    I believe you're missing my point. I'm not looking for advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleHank View Post
    I believe you're missing my point. I'm not looking for advice.
    I believe you are free to take it or not. But I am offering it to you anyway.

But ok...

For me- it's any level 30-60 zone. I just don't care to spend any time in them. I actually love that first cross-over into the Dark Portal and questing in Hellfire. Let me repeat that-

I love Hellfire.

Can always do like me, I leveled 3 toons to 90 just by doing pet battles (!), those give XP like crazy

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    I don't really have any one "graveyard" zone, but even when I'm leveling a character I'm really enthusiastic about I usually run out of steam in the 40-55, 63-67, 74-84 ranges. The last range is so large because while I enjoy the NR experience I usually either get tired of leveling, get burnt on the class, get distracted by my main, or just loath the Cataclysm questing terribly.

To those that hit a yellow zone and queue up: how are you able to do this? I find myself too story driven to try this. This method usually is one of the reasons I stop playing a toon. I just get into the story of the zone, and boom I'm in a dungeon. I'm removed from the story, and when I get back the quests are either green or grey and it's time to move along just for the same thing to happen again in the next zone.

I recently started leveling a new Shaman and I told myself that I wouldn't do any dungeons on that toon until I got to level 80 and it was time to start the Cataclysm content. I am now level 72(ish) and haven't hit that rut that I usually do (yet...?).

many people make the same mistake - they lv up by pushing one char for few days stright - and after so many years yes it killing all fun - my advice lv up alts slowly - ONLY with fully rested xp - lv up few of them at the same time, but keep them in different lv brackets for example 85-80-70-60-50-40 this way even when jumping between chars u wont be doin the same content at least for 3-4 weeks - eventually after a year/half of year - all of them will ding 90 and u wont feel this disgusting feeling when u lv up one alt at a time while pushing him non stop to the point u want to barf irl -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    I've leveled so many toons that I can't stand to quest in the zones anymore, so I mostly level toons up through dungeons and bgs. The mid seventies are so painful though, because not only can I not stand questing in the zones but the dungeons are awful too. Gundrak, Violet Hold, Drak'tharon, and Halls of Stone are the most miserable dungeons to do over and over, and I mostly play Alliance so trying to level in bgs is usually just as bad.

If I'm able to escape from mid seventies hell, the rest of leveling usually isn't too bad. It only starts getting bad again at 88/89