Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Passive aggressive much?

News flash: none of Iraqs neighbours want the ISIS to be in power. They won't accept the money from them. Shocking, I know!

But hey, call me ignorant again if it makes you feel better.
    If you truly believe someone out there with a fat wallet won't buy their gold...well..idk what to say.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Passive aggressive much?

News flash: none of Iraqs neighbours want the ISIS to be in power. They won't accept the money from them. Shocking, I know!

But hey, call me ignorant again if it makes you feel better.
    You're thinking small. You think people on the street are buying it, this is at a state level. "Won't accept money from them" lol ok sure.

ISIS is like al-Qaida on steroids. This is actually pretty friggin scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Widow Maker View Post
    If you truly believe someone out there with a fat wallet won't buy their gold...well..idk what to say.
    I can actually think of several reasons why a prospective buyer wouldn't want the gold. Their gain is that they could buy it for substantially less than they could sell it on a more legitimate market for, but at the same time, they would need to process the gold in a way that disguised where they got it. The also would have to deal with the fact that they'd be funding ISIS, and I'm not sure people in the region who wouldn't already be funding them would want to do that, simply because they represent a threat to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Imagine how many steam games you could buy with that.
    Half of train simulators DLC, maybe a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I can actually think of several reasons why a prospective buyer wouldn't want the gold. Their gain is that they could buy it for substantially less than they could sell it on a more legitimate market for, but at the same time, they would need to process the gold in a way that disguised where they got it. The also would have to deal with the fact that they'd be funding ISIS, and I'm not sure people in the region who wouldn't already be funding them would want to do that, simply because they represent a threat to them.
    So much gold passes hands in the middle east its a guarantee they wont have a problem getting rid of it. They don't wear 14k either, they only have the good 18-22k jewelry. So some jewelry shop will just melt it down and make jewelry out it.

- - - Updated - - -

wonder how many other banks they have looted now, besides the one where they got 429 million. Iraq has a lot of money, Im guessing ISIS will have billions of terrorist dollars when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    wonder how many other banks they have looted now, besides the one where they got 429 million. Iraq has a lot of money, Im guessing ISIS will have billions of terrorist dollars when all is said and done.
    What is the conversion rate for 'terrorist dollars' to the petrodollar?

Seriously though... if Iraq was using gold backed currency (and it seems they were), wouldn't they be storing all that gold in a couple secure (or not, apparently) places? Without being able to loot actual resources, I have doubts the scraps of paper that ISIS (I'm still waiting for it to turn out to be Archer and Lana doing this) has been looting are going to be worth much.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

What is the conversion rate for 'terrorist dollars' to the petrodollar?

Seriously though... if Iraq was using gold backed currency (and it seems they were), wouldn't they be storing all that gold in a couple secure (or not, apparently) places? Without being able to loot actual resources, I have doubts the scraps of paper that ISIS (I'm still waiting for it to turn out to be Archer and Lana doing this) has been looting are going to be worth much.
    They are a 3rd world country recovering from many wars. They probably just put the money in the safest place they can find at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    USA should have never entered Irak. Yes, Saddam was a dictator, but he was kept in his country. In time, with the Arab summer, people would have revolted and he probably would have given them more rights. Yet now... Irak is worse then it was in his reigns and extremist terrorist organizations have taken hold of parts of it, and they'll be spilling out to neighbouring countries soon. The militia/military of Irak is not doing their job and USA is leaving, not willing to help Irak fix this issue they (USA) have caused.
    Sadam wasn't kept in his country..... you realize the first time we went to the ME was because he invaded Kuwait right..... they also went to war with Iran once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Sadam wasn't kept in his country..... you realize the first time we went to the ME was because he invaded Kuwait right..... they also went to war with Iran once.
    Not to mention he was bombing the shit out of the protected kurds every chance he got. He violated the no fly zone constantly.

ISIS is like al-Qaida on steroids. This is actually pretty friggin scary.
    They were a branch of A-Q, they just got powerful enough that their leader publicly broke away from them.

Ie, infighting and opportunistic power grabs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Mmm, what he said was true at the time of the Iraq War though. As a regional power, Iraq was spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

They are a 3rd world country recovering from many wars. They probably just put the money in the safest place they can find at the moment.
    I'm not disputing that. I'm suggesting that regardless of the amount of other banks in cities that ISIS controls, and how much looting they are doing, they aren't going to find a lot more resources that they can use to accumulate money. I have doubts other banks (afaik this was THE central bank. It's like if some terrorist group in the US took over fort knox.) have a large reserve of gold or other easily (relatively) sold/traded commodities.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once a Muslim group reaches 100% decadence it falls apart from the inside out.
    This happens in Crusader Kings 2, and it will likely happen here.

Hopefully the smart ones among them get out before its too late for them.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!