Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Doing something wrong, need help.

So for a bit over a month now I have seen little to no results in my weight loss and have gained a few kilos back, I don't know how or why and yes I know not to go off scales but I also don't feel like I lost anything.

Here are my stats:

109.6 kilos
    5 ft 8 inches
    Sedentary lifestyle

Diet:
    Breakfast - 3 Egg omelet, some bacon, 2 toast

Lunch - Salad, some sliced chicken or ham with some boiled egg

Dinner - Salad with some protein whatever my parents cook usually chicken fish or steak.

Snacks - Yoghurt, Bananas, Apples, Strawberries

Exercise:

3-5 times a week, usually do mostly cardio on bike with interval training, i've cut back on lifting so much only do it once or twice a week now.

I really need some help because this is starting to demotivate me and I really enjoy going to the gym but every time I see I gain weight when im going stuff right just makes me mad.

3 eggs alone is 450 calories. Lose the eggs and the bacon. Also yogurt probably has more sugar than you realize. I think your breakfast is killing your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    3 eggs alone is 450 calories. Lose the eggs and the bacon. Also yogurt probably has more sugar than you realize. I think your breakfast is killing your diet.
    450 calories? that sounds like a lie especially since every food planner or calculator says otherwise and my yoghurt is low fat etc its only about 75-100 calories

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    450 calories? that sounds like a lie especially since every food planner or calculator says otherwise and my yoghurt is low fat etc its only about 75-100 calories
    googled egg calories, first result says 150...

bear in mind most slices of bread hover around 80-110 cal depending on the type and thickness, so thats a 550-650 breakfast without including your bacon.

but yeah, starting the day with 3 egg omelet, bacon and toast is really overkill. try porridge, other plain cereals or just the toast.

edit: i see what happened with the eggs, its because default result is by weight, 1 large egg is put at around 94, so change 450 to around 300

Okay my bad. Blame google. I see it as 74 now for a large egg. Still, your breakfast seems very large and omlet is a very vague term.

I've been using myfitnesspal for a long time and this is what it says

bacon 24 calories
    2 egg fried 140 calories (not sure if different since ive changed to omelet and havnt changed it in a while)
    white toast bread 2 slices 132 calories (changed to brown bread)

so i dont know where you're getting 450 calories for 3 eggs used in an omelet

also to mention even if my breakfast seems huge I don't usually get more than 1400-1500 calories in per day
    Last edited by Rooskie1993; 2014-07-28 at 01:05 AM.

45 minutes per day of brisk exercise to maintain a healthy weight. I honestly don't think your diet is all that bad, you simply aren't burning more calories than you're taking in. Weight loss really is that simple.

Deleted
    I've been using myfitnesspal for a long time and this is what it says

bacon 24 calories
    2 egg fried 140 calories (not sure if different since ive changed to omelet and havnt changed it in a while)
    white toast bread 2 slices 132 calories (changed to brown bread)

so i dont know where you're getting 450 calories for 3 eggs used in an omelet
    google search egg calories, change it to omelet and large egg, and the result is 94 calories per egg used.
    i'm pretty sure you're underestimating the bacon and the bread too, plus regardless of the calories, bacon is pretty fatty.

the point is your biggest red flag on your list is your breakfast, cut that down considerably and you should see some improvement. like i said, try porridge or other cereals, or just some toast, maybe have a banana or something afterwards if you really need to fill the gap, but a 3 egg omelet with bacon and toast is too much if you're trying to lose weight

Quote Originally Posted by suitepee7 View Post
    google search egg calories, change it to omelet and large egg, and the result is 94 calories per egg used.
    i'm pretty sure you're underestimating the bacon and the bread too, plus regardless of the calories, bacon is pretty fatty.

the point is your biggest red flag on your list is your breakfast, cut that down considerably and you should see some improvement. like i said, try porridge or other cereals, or just some toast, maybe have a banana or something afterwards if you really need to fill the gap, but a 3 egg omelet with bacon and toast is too much if you're trying to lose weight
    97% fat free bacon 1 slice (25 grams) is 24 calories

10+ Year Old Account
    Eggs and bacon are fine. Ditch the toast. The rest looks good. Starch is much better at becoming fat than protein or fat is, ironically enough.

Also, the type of yogurt does kind of matter. If it's that sugary yoplait stuff, switch it out for full-fat plain greek yogurt - make sure it's not just thickened with corn starch, either. I would recommend chobani or fage.

To be honest it does seem like a lot and is rather non specific. Whats going into the salad? is there any dressing? Also what are you drinking during this time?

I lost about 20kg in the last 6 months or so with little to no extra exercise (work a desk job, only walks i take are for my smoke breaks) but I was very strict with my food:

Breakfast: A piece of fruit. if your really hungry or hungover a single fried egg on a piece of spelt bread.
    Snack: Natural organic yogurt with frozen berries for flavor.
    Lunch: Salad made of lettuce, carrots, cucumber, capsicum with home made dressing (mustard and olive oil). This could occasionally be eaten as a sandwich on spelt bread.
    Snack: Handful of almonds (good for the cholesterol too)
    Dinner: Grilled meat (alternated between fish, beef and chicken) and more of the salad from above if still hungry.

Only drinks were organic fruit juice and water. Cutting out the soft drinks I was drinking probably helped a lot, was never a coffee drinker to begin with and found I wanted sugar in it which helped rule it out.

Now that I am at a weight I am happy with I treat myself with richer foods outside of the diet (still no soft drinks though) but know I can switch back to that diet should I start gaining weight again.

Quote Originally Posted by SinRaven View Post
    To be honest it does seem like a lot and is rather non specific. Whats going into the salad? is there any dressing? Also what are you drinking during this time?

I lost about 20kg in the last 6 months or so with little to no extra exercise (work a desk job, only walks i take are for my smoke breaks) but I was very strict with my food:

Breakfast: A piece of fruit. if your really hungry or hungover a single fried egg on a piece of spelt bread.
    Snack: Natural organic yogurt with frozen berries for flavor.
    Lunch: Salad made of lettuce, carrots, cucumber, capsicum with home made dressing (mustard and olive oil). This could occasionally be eaten as a sandwich on spelt bread.
    Snack: Handful of almonds (good for the cholesterol too)
    Dinner: Grilled meat (alternated between fish, beef and chicken) and more of the salad from above if still hungry.

Only drinks were organic fruit juice and water. Cutting out the soft drinks I was drinking probably helped a lot, was never a coffee drinker to begin with and found I wanted sugar in it which helped rule it out.

Now that I am at a weight I am happy with I treat myself with richer foods outside of the diet (still no soft drinks though) but know I can switch back to that diet should I start gaining weight again.
    My salad is just some grated cheese/carrot and lettuce with some slices of ham or chicken, I don't like many other things like capsicum cucumber etc and I don't like tomato either and I dont use any dressing.

and I only drink water

I also go to the gym at 7 in the morning and come home really hungry.
    Last edited by Rooskie1993; 2014-07-28 at 01:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok first off, a lot of pseudo nutrition talk coming from these posters.

You can literally eat anything you want, as long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight (although if you are eating horrible you will not lose as much fat as you might muscle)

another thing, pound for pound of fat, you will lose more in terms of weight lifting than cardio. Cardio is great for creating that deficit or if you are having a hard time controlling your eating habits, but Strength training will help you lose that fat.

my honest advice as a person who was at 290 pounds (now at 240 still going to 220) and has researched on a lot of stuff, Count your calories, control your portions, and eat healthy (which means lean meats, avoid junk foods/sodas)

and my god i hate it when people say to avoid carbs, carbs will not hinder your weight loss, CALORIES WILL, and you need to watch your macros (Fats, carbs and proteins)

fats will be more calorie dense, protein you need to preserve muscle mass, but if you're emphasizing cardio you will lose muscle mass along with fat. DO MORE STRENGTH TRAINING and make that your focus.

also if you have a hard time counting calories, use Lose it! App or myfitnesspal. Keep a daily log of what you eat and it will help you assist on a ballpark estimate of how much calories you should be having per day.

example i have a daily allotment of 2600 calories (weight at 240, height 6'8, strength train 5 days a week, cardio 2 to keep conditioned)

AND ANOTHER THING, don't look at the scale in terms of losing weight, if your concerned about numbers on a scale, you're doing it wrong, you're looking to get fit and to lose fat, if you have that fat.

start doing body measurements (chest, waist..etc). i guarentee you will feel more confident when you see those inches drop because the scale might not drop due to a multitude of factors (water weight, sodium intake, if you are strength training-building muscle so more weight..etc.).

ill give you another example of mistakes i made when i first started working out. Like you, i emphasized cardio a lot more than strength training, hell i never did strength training AT ALL because i was a noob and scared to try it out. I lost 25 pounds, but i basically looked the same. after incorporating heavy duty strength training (weight max for 8 reps/failure..etc.) and i could see within a month that my fat was lesser, my muscles had more definition, i felt stronger.

it is possible you are under-eating, which can cause starvation mode (usually takes a long time for that to happen) but if that's the case, your metabolism will plunge and can cause a weight loss stall.

Also if you continue to do the same type of cardio or strength training, your body will get conditioned to it and you're no longer burning the same amount of calories. I'd suggest getting a Heart Rate Monitor for the cardio aspect (Strength training is hard to measure as a HRM is not meant for that type of training).

I implore you, do not look at that scale, it is the one enemy that will destroy your motivation and you will stop. Do body measurements, do Strength training, watch your calorie intake, and count calories. get as much protein as you can and supplement the rest between fats and carbs. You can do it bro.

Message me if you need any more consultation, i will help you out!
    Last edited by Darkrulerxxx; 2014-07-28 at 01:45 AM.

So for a bit over a month now I have seen little to no results in my weight loss and have gained a few kilos back, I don't know how or why and yes I know not to go off scales but I also don't feel like I lost anything.
    You already know weight isn't always a great factor on determining how your health is changing. Get a full length mirror and take weekly photos of yourself. Then after a month or so compare them. The pictures will allow you to see progress better. You see your body everyday. So as the small changes happen and progress to bigger changes you don't always realize or notice them. A photo record is a easy way for you to see your own progress.

Bacon? Are you fucking kidding me? I believe you need professional help. Perhaps you could consult some personal trainer. I mean if you eat bacon and tons of eggs and don't know what you're doing wrong I don't think you can make it by yourself when when I tell you to just eat right and walk every day for 2-3 hours or start running. Hopefully I am wrong. I hope you get healthy eventually.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2014-07-28 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Bacon? Are you fucking kidding me? I believe you need professional help. Perhaps you could consult some personal trainer. I mean if you eat bacon and tons of eggs and don't know what you're doing wrong I don't think you can make it by yourself when when I tell you to just eat right and walk every day for 2-3 hours or start running. Hopefully I am wrong. I hope you get healthy eventually.
    umm are you serious? you obviously don't understand anything about nutrition. You can have eggs and bacon as much as you want, i did it for my weight loss and i've lost 40 so far.

as long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight, as said in my previous post, you can eat anything you want as long as the daily intake is below your maintenance.

don't post ANYTHING in this thread (and i hope in any other post in the gym/fitness subsection) if you actually don't know any information or you are spreading misinformation.

i know how it works to lose weight, because i'm a current product of it. don't mislead the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    umm are you serious? you obviously don't understand anything about nutrition. You can have eggs and bacon as much as you want, i did it for my weight loss and i've lost 40 so far.

as long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight, as said in my previous post, you can eat anything you want as long as the daily intake is below your maintenance.

don't post ANYTHING in this thread (and i hope in any other post in the gym/fitness subsection) if you actually don't know any information or you are spreading misinformation.

i know how it works to lose weight, because i'm a current product of it. don't mislead the OP.
    I've lost weight in the past, successfully. I know what I'm talking about. If you want to lose weight you don't eat bacon. At least not if you don't burn a lot of calories like the OP. There's lots of thing better than bacon. I for one have never heard of a diet with bacon. You're a current product of it. I'm a finished successful product of it. That speaks for itself I believe.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2014-07-28 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've lost weight in the past, successfully. I know what I'm talking about. If you want to lose weight you don't eat bacon. At least not if you don't burn a lot of calories like the OP. There's lots of thing better than bacon. I for one have never heard of a diet with bacon. You're a current product of it. I'm a finished successful product of it. That speaks for itself I believe.
    this isn't some competition to see who's weight loss is better. There is no one way to lose weight, and i'm sorry, but if you don't understand that calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, then you are sadly misinformed, or at least, very outdated in your knowledge of weight loss.

YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING and lose weight, as long as you are in caloric deficit.

1 slice of bacon is 42 calories, 3.18 grams in fat, 0.12 grams carbohydrate, and 3 grams of protein. if he's on a caloric diet of 2600 calories a day, he can literally eat 62 pieces of bacon only for the whole day and lose weight.

don't be dumb and try to start this into an argument that you will lose.

calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. What determines if you lose more fat than muscle is your macros, as in getting more protein to preserve muscle mass, and supplementing the rest with fats and carbs.

what have you lost 5 pounds or something? haha please don't talk any more unless if you have some hard evidence that you can't eat bacon without losing weight.

otherwise you just look like a fool

"mic drops to the floor"

just in case you want to get uppity with me i'll provide plenty of discussions that prove you wrong, feel free to peruse at your leisure:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...ng-lose-weight
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/s...-or-not-to-eat
    http://bacontoday.com/top-10-reasons...althy-for-you/
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=820785
    Last edited by Darkrulerxxx; 2014-07-28 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    this isn't some competition to see who's weight loss is better. There is no one way to lose weight, and i'm sorry, but if you don't understand that calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, then you are sadly misinformed, or at least, very outdated in your knowledge of weight loss.

YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING and lose weight, as long as you are in caloric deficit.

1 slice of bacon is 42 calories, 3.18 grams in fat, 0.12 grams carbohydrate, and 3 grams of protein. if he's on a caloric diet of 2600 calories a day, he can literally eat 62 pieces of bacon only for the whole day and lose weight.

don't be dumb and try to start this into an argument that you will lose.

calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. What determines if you lose more fat than muscle is your macros, as in getting more protein to preserve muscle mass, and supplementing the rest with fats and carbs.

what have you lost 5 pounds or something? haha please don't talk any more unless if you have some hard evidence that you can't eat bacon without losing weight.

otherwise you just look like a fool

"mic drops to the floor"
    There's no need to insult me. We're adults no? You can eat bacon and still lose weight, however there is much better food out there. Eating better food means that you will lose even more weight or fat if you will. Bacon is not among the best things to eat for someone that wants to lose weight. You can do it. But why would you? Losing weight faster is probably more desirable. I don't think the OP can afford to eat bacon becuase the OP does not seem to be losing excessive amounts of calories. Once the OP is in good shape and knows how to eat properly, that's when the OP can make exceptions. In my opinion bacon should not be eating by fat people that struggle to get in shape.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2014-07-28 at 07:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no need to insult me. We're adults no? You can eat bacon and still lose weight, however there is much better food out there. Eating better food means that you will lose even more weight. Bacon is not among the best things to eat for someone that wants to lose weight. You can do it. But why would you? Losing weight faster is probably more desirable.
    i'm sorry but when you decide to insinuate that i am somehow "doing it wrong" i will get retarded defensive about it.

i've lost weight. bacon has sat. fat but that's besides the point, if you are working out, having a calorie deficit is all what matters, of course eating lean meats, fish..etc. is better because it's less calories, and you can eat more, and get more protein out of it, but there's nothing wrong with eating bacon, nor will it hinder your weight loss as long as you are meeting your calorie goals.

edit: well if the op has a hard time, he either has to up the cardio to burn those calories if he is over-eating or as you say, drop the heavier caloric foods to make sure he's not over-eating....in that regard....it's sorta hard to gauge his current profile since he's not really responding. lol.
    Last edited by Darkrulerxxx; 2014-07-28 at 07:26 PM.