Second hard drive not showing up?

I plugged in my old hard drive into my PC and nothing showed up. I did some googleing and i found I had to go to Computer Management>Disk Management and enable that drive. I went there and I pretty much can't do anything. The hard drive I need to enable says its active.

Here what it looks like.
    https://i.imgur.com/JuA2sEy.png

Edit: The hard drive was from my imac. Literally just pulled it out and plugged it in. Its also in 100% working condition.
    Last edited by Nhs; 2014-06-14 at 11:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks active to me. You just need to assign a drive letter to the partition(s) that you wish to use.

And how would I do that? It doesn't give me much options in the disk management

right click the drive and select change drive letter and path in the disk management window

Quote Originally Posted by macphistofly View Post
    right click the drive and select change drive letter and path
    When I right click the drive the only things that come up are "delete volume" and "help". I already clicked delete volume and did that whole process but it didn't do much.

if there's nothing on the new drive try deleting a partition and reformatting it.

Quote Originally Posted by macphistofly View Post
    if there's nothing on the new drive try deleting a partition and reformatting it.
    Well I actually wanted to try and recover files off of it

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe Macs use HFS+ file system... Windows systems can't read it, probably.

You'll need to hook it up to another mac, or use recovery software that can read/convert it

If the old system is working... just put the drive back and and back up the stuff you want on there onto CD or Flash drive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Depending on the age of the iMac, the drive will be using a GUID partition, and Windows doesn't see those partitions. To recover the files from the drive, you would need to install it into A.) another mac, B.) a Hackintosh. You could *possibly* use an Ubuntu Live Disc and attempt to recover files with it, as it will see the GUID partition, but I've never tested this, so results are unknown to me.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    Depending on the age of the iMac, the drive will be using a GUID partition, and Windows doesn't see those partitions.
    Stop spreading misinformation. Windows vista and up all support guid partition table. Like Chazus says it is the hfs+ partitions that Windows can't access natively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to the device manager in the control panel and scan for hardware changes.

http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/ac...m-windows.html

The second option should work for you (well, the first option would too, but that one costs 20 bucks). Make sure to back-up the registry and set a system restore point before running the .reg file and adding the driver files to your C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory, just in case something goes pear-shaped though.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Stop spreading misinformation. Windows vista and up all support guid partition table. Like Chazus says it is the hfs+ partitions that Windows can't access natively.
    I'm not intentionally spreading misinformation. I'm merely going on what I encountered a few years ago when messing around with Hackintoshes. I have done a bit of research, and found that you are indeed correct about GUID (GPT) drives being supported, but in limited fashion. Chazus is correct in that its the file system that windows can't read. The partition can be read / accessed, once its given a drive letter, but anything in the HFS+ format, wont be readable, unless you follow Butler Log's suggestion.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |