Is it worth it to crossfire?

I currently have a 7870. I was thinking about getting another but i remembered that some games don't support it. I don't like buying things and knowing that its not supported 100% or it might not work. Is the amount of games it doesn't support minimal or is there a wide range? Would it be worth it to get another 7870?

Here is the thing when it comes to crossfire and sli you will never really get a straight yes or no. Some people will say its the best thing since sliced bread others will tell you its better to get the single best card you can afford and run with that.

Here is the thing you need to think about for crossfire and sli. It will use more power and make more heat in your case/room , As you said before in some games it doesn't fully work correctly or support it. While this is sometimes 50/50 as well since a lot of games support it as well.

The 7870 was a decent mid card and with 2 of them they are faster then the R9 280x which is basically a 7970 that is a tad faster.

If you don't mind messing with drivers issues here and there for the performance it is better. Some people also claim mirco shuttering as well with any crossfire/sli setup not 100% sure if its been completely fixed yet.

The other answer is to look at the R9 290 , gx 780 or above for the next step or wait for the next gen of cards to come out.
    Last edited by dbudd424; 2014-06-18 at 01:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never go for an initial setup with SLI/crossfire unless you absolutely need the power for highend gaming.

But, if you're doing a small upgrade from a midrange system, it's absolutely worth considering. Another 7870 will get you higher performance than any single card would give at that price point. The tradeoff is increased heat, powerdraw and occasionally driver problems (especially in new games until they've been optimized, and even sometimes after...)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhs View Post
    I currently have a 7870. I was thinking about getting another but i remembered that some games don't support it. I don't like buying things and knowing that its not supported 100% or it might not work. Is the amount of games it doesn't support minimal or is there a wide range? Would it be worth it to get another 7870?
    If all you play are mmo's then it's kind of a waste of money. Even for the occasional other game it's not worth it if your focus on gaming is mmo's.

10+ Year Old Account
    crossfire is not as refined as SLI, it's great for benches but not so great for gaming, AMD makes up for this by making really great single GPU cards

this is all irrelevant though if this is only for wow as a multi gpu setup offers no real performance benefit, but if you really want a multi GPU setup, sell the AMD and get two nvidia cards

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    crossfire is not as refined as SLI, it's great for benches but not so great for gaming,
    I think that 290/290x crossfire is actually better than 780/780ti SLI, both in benches as in actual gaming. But that is all due to the no bridge thing.
    Cards which do need a bridge Im not sure about, that is probably still the same.