10+ Year Old Account

Federal contractors to be prohibited from discriminating against LGBT persons

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27874869

Watching how the Republicans/Tea Party/etc. respond to this is going to be entertaining/depressing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I'm not sure how this post is going to fare. I see a great possibility of it ending up locked.

That being said, this is a nice step in the right direction, but to keep up with the rest of the 1st world countries, they United States should have ended all forms of discrimination about 10 years ago or more.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Watch the others come up with any reason to not employ LGBT persons.

Can someone come up with a checklist?

I'll start; it's an employer's right to discriminate against LGBT persons.

Oh oh oh! Forget the rights of the LGBT persons to be employed! The employer's rights trumps the LGBT/employee!

This thread will go places.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    I'm not sure how this post is going to fare. I see a great possibility of it ending up locked.

That being said, this is a nice step in the right direction, but to keep up with the rest of the 1st world countries, they United States should have ended all forms of discrimination about 10 years ago or more.
    1. Eventually. But we might be able to get a few pages of worthwhile discussion in before certain parties make their entrance.

2. Yeah. There's a bill currently in progress (though it kinda has been in progress for the last 20 years, though this time it passed in the Senate), but the Republicans are blockading it because "it would harm the job creators" and would "lead to lawsuits" (really? That's kinda the point if companies refuse to comply with it).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Hrm I just assumed something like this was already in place.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Hrm I just assumed something like this was already in place.
    There is in some states, but nothing on the federal level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employ...ates#State_law

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27874869

Watching how the Republicans/Tea Party/etc. respond to this is going to be entertaining/depressing.
    Only the craziest will oppose this. I a few lgbt friends who are more conservative and vote that way so its not as if the entire right is going to be like "THEY'LL JUST BE SCISSORING AT WORK".

I'd imagine this just kind of disappears as acceptable which is a great thing. This is common sense.

I say it should be disallowed to ask race, ethnicity, gender, etc from any applicant and companies should only be able to see what's on a resume (plus references). Select the best candidates to interview and go from there.

I'm sure there's something wrong with the idea that I'm overlooking, so please feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Only the craziest will oppose this. I a few lgbt friends who are more conservative and vote that way so its not as if the entire right is going to be like "THEY'LL JUST BE SCISSORING AT WORK".

I'd imagine this just kind of disappears as acceptable which is a great thing. This is common sense.
    You should have seen the repeal of the 'don't ask, don't tell' military ban repealed.

And if you want to go the extra mile on absurdity, you should see how Senator Saxby Chambliss basically defended military practices regarding rape (the victim has to report it to their superior, who may or may not be associated with said crime), stating that men were hormonal and that therefore, nothing should be done.

There have much more ridiculous reasons defending the status quo, than we care to be told about.

A step forward, nevertheless.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Only the craziest will oppose this.
    You seem to think there is any shortage of those. They've got candidates who hurl what are basically death threads at LGBT people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Homosexuals interfere with work because... because.. uh.. because they do gay things!