Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I get that one all the time, that or the "Why do you hate god?" I'm like I don't believe one exists so how can I hate him. Then the #1 follow up is "So you believe everything came from nothing?".
    That's an easy one to reply to. "Well, where do you think God came from?" Because, no matter what their answer is, whether it's a dumb-founded look of dumb-foundedry or the typical "he always existed!" you reply "Yep, that's what I think about everything. Except I don't need an imaginary intelligence to have been there first, which is even more colossally stupid, you fucking twit."

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think I could date an outright atheist (or at least those that try to correct me on everything. my first ex is one of those and omg is he an ass about it). But I also feel the same about evangelicals. Moderation in everything is the best policy.

Except chocolate. Never enough chocolate!

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    That's an easy one to reply to. "Well, where do you think God came from?" Because, no matter what their answer is, whether it's a dumb-founded look of dumb-foundedry or the typical "he always existed!" you reply "Yep, that's what I think about everything. Except I don't need an imaginary intelligence to have been there first, which is even more colossally stupid, you fucking twit."
    Once you say anything of the sort to them anything you say is instantly dismissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    My fiance is from Mid Michigan and I have her acting like a native Ontarian when we travel together. It's amazing how many people hate on her when they find out she's American but others love her for pretending to be Canadian.
    I wonder how one acts like a native Ontarian or Canadian aside from pretending to know everything about everything Canada. I mean, whenever I go to Canada nobody knows that I am an American unless I tell them. If 99% of native Canadians can't tell that I am an American then I am sure that people on other continents won't be able to discern the difference.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Which is the important difference. I don't think I could be with someone who took their religion very seriously, but it's none of my business who other people date, relative or not, so long as they're happy with it. So you not wanting to date someone who is religious is totally different than people being mad because their relative is dating an atheist.

What do you mean correct you on everything?
    Like when my grandfather was dying, and we were all praying for his pain ot be gone soon, he would go like "Your god is evidently terrible if he's putting your grandpa through this", and just was really disrespectful of my beliefs in general. Like telling me I need to grow up and be my own woman when he caught me praying while I was staying with him once.

You know half of Michigan is more stereotypically Canadian than actual Canadians, right?
    Fuckin' yoopers.

As a born and raised Buffalonian, pretending to be from Ontario is not a big stretch for me. Canada might be the USA's hat, but Western New York is Ontario's socks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Fuckin' yoopers.

As a born and raised Buffalonian, pretending to be from Ontario is not a big stretch for me. Canada might be the USA's hat, but Western New York is Ontario's socks.
    Best junk food ever from that region. Buffalo Chicken Wings. Born near there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to be your own woman and do what I tell you.

Personally, prayer only bothers me when people treat it like their contribution, instead of actually taking action. In situations where you can't really do anything, who cares?

Say ya to da UP eh
    Yeah, and I wouldn't put all Atheists into the same asshole category as him, but omg can't people just be respectful? Its not like dying is a process we can control real well beyond make them comfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know half of Michigan is more stereotypically Canadian than actual Canadians, right?
    Aside from the makes-Regina/Saskatoon/Winnipeg-look-like-Mayberry tendencies.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like when my grandfather was dying, and we were all praying for his pain ot be gone soon, he would go like "Your god is evidently terrible if he's putting your grandpa through this", and just was really disrespectful of my beliefs in general. Like telling me I need to grow up and be my own woman when he caught me praying while I was staying with him once.
    Perhaps he had good intentions about it and just said it poorly but those are the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    1. Buffalo Wings
    2. Corn Dogs
    3. Italian Beef

Top 3 American junk foods
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you did the right thing in spite of his bitterness. I feel sorry for people like him.

This is a good example of why I don't want to date someone that's religious. I don't want to be hateful towards folks that are well meaning and trying to find some solace in a trying time, and I would never shit on them in that fashion. Nonetheless, I can't help but think the same things that he said out loud. There's no way that I'd be as supportive as I should be if I'm thinking something that's contra to what I'm saying and what you're feeling. That's a recipe for a shitty interaction. Maybe it's a character flaw on my end, maybe it's not, but that's not really the important part - why give ourselves a degree of difficulty?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Perhaps he had good intentions about it and just said it poorly but those are the worst.
    Maybe, but its still inexcusable and just makes things worse for atheists that actually are respectful. Like its made me be really weary of dating one again. and on the scale of atheist (1) to evangelical (10) Im like a 4 (moderate with heavy science tendencies)
    Last edited by Crissi; 2014-06-17 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Wings, beef on 'weck, garbage plates, fish fry. The holy grail of Western New York things that'll make you fat, but happy and fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a good example of why I don't want to date someone that's religious. I don't want to be hateful towards folks that are well meaning and trying to find some solace in a trying time, and I would never shit on them in that fashion. Nonetheless, I can't help but think the same things that he said out loud. There's no way that I'd be as supportive as I should be if I'm thinking something that's contra to what I'm saying and what you're feeling. That's a recipe for a shitty interaction. Maybe it's a character flaw on my end, maybe it's not, but that's not really the important part - why give ourselves a degree of difficulty?
    You can think what you like, but being an ass when someone is grieving makes you the bigger asshole than the religious person but its good to just avoid that situation entirely.

well, atheists do come off as prickish most of the time. blame the high and mighty douchebags that flaunt their atheism.

as for me, agnosticism all the way.

Yeah, and I wouldn't put all Atheists into the same asshole category as him, but omg can't people just be respectful? Its not like dying is a process we can control real well beyond make them comfortable.
    I think the problem there is that dying evokes strong emotion. Deference has to be the person closest, that's experiencing the suffering most sharply. In my case, if my mom was dying and someone said something like, "she's going to a better place", I might lose my shit on them. I'd try not to, but I might. I don't have to respect someone's beliefs to respect their emotions, and I don't want to hurt people.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wasnt polled, were you, was anyone here polled....no
    not accurate then if they didnt poll every american
    and its not just the US, other countries are way more religious than the states
    india for one and they are only in the news for rapes
    the mideast and they are only in the news for constant civil wars

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but its still inexcusable and just makes things worse for atheists that actually are respectful. Like its made me be really weary of dating one again. and on the scale of atheist (1) to evangelical (10) Im like a 4 (moderate with heavy science tendencies)
    What if they just simply kept it to themselves or do you make it a point to ask about their religious beliefs and press on when they dodge the question?