Deleted

Build help: $1000 Prodigy Build

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone could look at my choices on building a gaming PC and maybe give some input.
    I will be using my PC mainly for gaming and programming C++/GLUT.
    If you can make it cheaper without affecting performance, please do!

Budget: €1100
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Games / Settings Desired: High/Ultra on released titles, decent on upcoming titles.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): C++/GLUT (Don't know if that counts)
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: Windows 8.1
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: Monitor

This is what's in my mind right now (Sorry I can't post links yet from pcpartpicker, I will change that as soon as I can.):

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmoc89610cc5de; 2014-06-17 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Changed budget to include a possible monitor and made it to €

Deleted
    It would be better to just give us the budget in euro's. It also makes it a lot easier to work with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    It would be better to just give us the budget in euro's. It also makes it a lot easier to work with.
    Changed.
    I know $1000 != €1000, but I think the parts on pcpartpicker are without tax (Not sure), figured it would be about the same with tax.

Deleted
    I came up with:

Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X
    WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
    Intel Core i5-4690K Boxed
    Crucial MX100 256GB
    BitFenix Prodigy Zwart
    Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
    Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
    Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Costing about 1040 euro (Dutch prices). I opted for a K cpu and Z97 mobo, Im not sure if you want to OC but thaught why not. Otherwise you can get the non-k version and probably a H97 mobo. Altho I would probably stick with the Z97.
    Picked up a 290, because there is room in the budget for it. If it turns out in Belgium it comes over 1100, you can drop down to a 280x/770. I would go for the 280x due to higher Vram/membus.
    520 watts should be fine without an OC, 620 might be a safer bet.
    Didnt add a cpu cooler due to the OCing part.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I came up with:

Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X
    WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
    Intel Core i5-4690K Boxed
    Crucial MX100 256GB
    BitFenix Prodigy Zwart
    Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
    Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5
    Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Costing about 1040 euro (Dutch prices). I opted for a K cpu and Z97 mobo, Im not sure if you want to OC but thaught why not. Otherwise you can get the non-k version and probably a H97 mobo. Altho I would probably stick with the Z97.
    Picked up a 290, because there is room in the budget for it. If it turns out in Belgium it comes over 1100, you can drop down to a 280x/770. I would go for the 280x due to higher Vram/membus.
    520 watts should be fine without an OC, 620 might be a safer bet.
    Didnt add a cpu cooler due to the OCing part.
    Price seems about right I get around 1081 Euro (I'm not overclocking so I went with the Intel Core i5-4690) if I look for retailers in Belgium and 982 Euro if I look at retailers in the Netherlands, so I guess I'm getting the parts from the Netherlands. :P

As for a monitor, do I need to look for anything specific or will most of them work just fine?

Deleted
    Depends on budget and what you prefer yourself.
    Some rather go with a TN panel with a high refreshrate. Some (like myself) rather go for an IPS panel with better colours etc.

You could look for Dell IPS screens, 24 inch cost 200-230 euro.

Deleted
    Ok! Thanks a lot for your help!

Deleted
    If you dont plan to overclock then there is no reason to get a Z97 mobo, get a cheaper H97 instead.

Based on your original post, the R9 290 will be better if you can squeeze it in the budget.

Also, never do a performance build with mismatched RAM channels, you're throwing away free performance. Get a matched pair of sticks for installation so you can run the RAM in dual channel (double peak theoretical throughput.) A 2x4GB set will hold you over for a while, but 2x8GB is an option (I run 2x8GB in my gaming machine.)
    Super casual.

I would definitely go with the new Crucial MX100 SSD
    $110 USD for 256gb on amazon.

And yeah mismatched ram is bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    I would definitely go with the new Crucial MX100 SSD
    $110 USD for 256gb on amazon.

And yeah mismatched ram is bad.
    He is not in the US and SSD suggestion already cover by Zeara.