Deleted

2440 mhz ram with i5 4670k

I am confused what ram to choose for my
    CPU and motherboard
    -I5 -4670k
    -Asus Z-87-A

I hesitate between G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 and G.Skill DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X CL9

My friend told me that I should choose 1600mhz because it runs at 1.5V which is recommended for the CPU.
    From the other side I read that 2400mhz is fine and should be slightly better then 1600mhz. The difference in price between them is ~10$, so if 2400mhz won't damage CPU I rather choose them over "ripjaws".
    I don't know if this matters but I am not going to overclock CPU or memory.

What would you recommend and why?

Deleted
    get the 1.5v one, 1600 or 2400 you will notice 0 difference.

Usually lower timings is better than pure speed. The only caveat to this is APU's like the Kaveri, which greatly benefit from 2400Mhz memory. Since you have a 4670k, the 1600Mhz will be fine.

And there are differences between the two, it is just so damn small(under 1%) that you won't notice it.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Haswell do benefit from faster RAM, if the price difference is truly only $10 I'd opt for the faster RAM, however as far as I know there are no 1.5v 2400MHz kits.

This is pretty much the sweet spot:

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz CAS 9

15+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't going to overclock they will both run at 1333MHz so take the 1600MHz kit.

The RAM controller is placed on the CPU. Running above standard settings will take it's toll on the CPU, lowering your max achievable clock speeds for the CPU itself. However, we are only talking 100-200MHZ on CPU clock speeds.

Found some more info, it seems that Corsair agrees with the suggestion that higher RAM speeds result in a faster CPU.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/20...swellrealworld
    All speeds above 1600MHZ seems to make the CPU perform better. At stock clock, at 4,5GHZ and they even tested the theory in Starcraft 2.

Anandtech also agrees http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/m...g-on-haswell/6.
    Though timings seems to be unimportant.
    Last edited by MMKing; 2014-06-18 at 02:35 PM.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Timings and clocks really depend on the application. Importantly, though, Haswell CPUs can handle 1.65V RAM just fine, it was the Sandy and Ivy Bridge chips that sometimes ran a little wonky (e.g. died like my 2500K did) when running RAM above 1.500V. I run 2400MHz RAM in my Haswell machine; if you get lucky, you can tighten the timings up a bit past the default, or just run the RAM at a lower clock with tighter timings if your particular usage scenario would benefit from such.

Most motherboards have profiles you can set up as well, you can run your RAM at a lower clock with tighter timings in one profile and higher clock with loosened timings in another for whatever you're planning on doing at the time.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Importantly, though, Haswell CPUs can handle 1.65V RAM just fine
    Intel states 1.5v max.

Not saying you are wrong but running 1.65v 24/7 risks damage and voiding the warranty.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Intel states 1.5v max.

Not saying you are wrong but running 1.65v 24/7 risks damage and voiding the warranty.
    First of all, it doesn't, it states max voltage as 1.5V+5% which is 1.575V. Second, Intel also supports XMP profiles which lists highest compatible memory voltage as 1.65V, which is tested to work by Intel themselves. It's kind of a double edged sword because technically it voids the warranty but if we start going down that road you should just keep your CPU in the plastic box it came in. Even using aftermarket CPU cooler voids the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    First of all, it doesn't, it states max voltage as 1.5V+5% which is 1.575V. Second, Intel also supports XMP profiles which lists highest compatible memory voltage as 1.65V, which is tested to work by Intel themselves. It's kind of a double edged sword because technically it voids the warranty but if we start going down that road you should just keep your CPU in the plastic box it came in. Even using aftermarket CPU cooler voids the warranty.
    hence why I said "Not saying you are wrong"

You can run your 4670k at 1.5v as well but would you recommend somebody to do it ?
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2014-06-20 at 07:57 PM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |