Thread: i5 4670k temps

i5 4670k temps

Hello all. I recently completed my first build and I had some questions about the temperature of my processor. It is idling at around 43 degrees celsius and I read that it should be idling around 28 to 32 degrees celsius. My specs are as follows:

pcpartpicker.com/p/44Gn8d

Ignore the fans as I didn't end up buying those (though on second thought I guess I should have?

I also haven't installed Windows yet. These are just the temps I'm getting on the BIOS screen before installing anything. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend double checking the heat sink to make sure it is sitting properly on the processor. Also what is the temp in your room where the comp is staying?

if its at stock, 42c is very high.

seems like something went wrong with attaching the cpu cooler and thermal paste. might be best to reset the heatsink and clean off and reapplying the thermal paste with a pea size drop, no spreading, in the center.

edit:
    checked your link and it appears you used artic silver 5. it use to be the best paste but now its mediocre. it also needs a 200 hour curing time which after 200 hours you will see temps drop.

better off picking up something like shin-etsu x23-7783d or noctua nt-h1
    Last edited by drdevious; 2014-06-18 at 01:59 AM.

I went ahead and installed windows and downloaded a 3rd party temp monitoring software and the temps are now idling around 36 to 38 degrees, which is still a little on the high side, but much better than 44 degrees. I guess I just need to wait for the arctic silver to take hold. I'll look into the two you recommended though, drdevious.

- - - Updated - - -

The temp in the room is quite high. It's around 80 degrees farenheit so I'm sure that has some to do with it.

You really should look into getting an aftermarket cooler for it. I recommend the Noctua NH-D14 if you can fit it in your case. It's about the size of a gamecube. I have the same CPU and have it overclocked from 3.4ghz to 4.4ghz and it idles around 25-26 celsius.

Edit: I also used Arctic Silver 5 when I installed it about a month and a half ago. The temps haven't changed much since then.

I already have an aftermarket cooler. I have the Cooler Master 212 EVO

an 80 degree room is def not good for your computer . . . you will need alot of air moving through your case to compensate for that, or watercooling
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by thievius View Post
    I already have an aftermarket cooler. I have the Cooler Master 212 EVO
    Ah alright, guess I was a little confused where you said you didn't buy the fans.... but yeah those temps don't quite seem right. The room temperature does contribute to the higher CPU temps. If possible I would try lowering the room temperature.

Edit: Also make sure the airflow direction in the case is correct. You want the air to all flow in one direction for CPU/case fans. Usually pulling air from the front of the case and pushing it out the back. There should be little arrows on the fans showing which direction they blow air.
    Last edited by Sonicburn; 2014-06-18 at 02:45 AM.

I currently have the fans blowing air out the back of the computer. The Cooler fan blows air through the coils and out the back as well. Should I have the fan on the other side of the cooler to pull heat from the cooler instead of pushing it through the cooler?

Deleted
    I guess with that ram you have used the far right combo cause it didnt fit below the cooler? Anyway, your fan setup is ok. As you face your case from the side with sidepanel open, the fan should be on your right side,blowing air to heatsing which then goes out from the rear fan. For 80F~26.5-27Degress , 36-38 at idle isn't very high, it not low either but its ok. When you applied the thermal paste did you just throw a small bean size paste or you went full out?

There is also a slight yet non-zero chance that your 4670K has poorer than usual application of the crappy internal goo between the IHS and CPU die. However, idle temperatures don't matter much in the long run if the load temperatures are okay. What are your load temps?
    Super casual.

Just played Tomb Raider on max settings for about 30 minutes and the CPU peaked at about 67 degrees average on all cores. Using Core Temp to check it.

When I applied the paste, I spread it out over the CPU. I tried the dot method, but when I took off the cooler to check, it wasn't evenly spread on the CPU so I opted to cover the whole thing.

GPU is also running above 90 degrees when under load.

- - - Updated - - -

Ran Tomb Raider a bit more and the CPU peaked at 70

- - - Updated - - -

I have my Wifi card placed directly above the Graphics card, between the card and the CPU. Could that be the cause of the issue?
    Last edited by thievius; 2014-06-20 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd worry if the temperature maxes out above 60 degrees celsius. (72 is bad for your CPU, says Intel)

Maybe try the tool Prime95 - it basically just calculates, but stresses your CPU really hard so you can see how the temperature increases over the hours.

I myself have the same CPU and have not seen it go above 55 degress, on FarCry3 with everything set to Ultra..

Edit: I've run Prime95 with the heat stress just now, with my 4670K (OC to 4,2ghz) and it went to 75 degrees celsius maximum. Note that no game will stress your CPU like this, so if Tomb Raider manages to, you should really start to worry.
    Last edited by gry; 2014-06-21 at 09:01 AM.

So I made a few switches and things are much better now. I had spread the Arctic Silver 5 before so I'm sure that was causing some problems. I purchased the Noctua thermal paste and used the drop method and immediately saw better temps across the board. Peaked at 70 for about 10 minutes of Prime95, but it was only for a fraction of a second before it was back down to the mid to high 50s. Played Far Cry 3 on Ultra for about 30 minutes and the temps peaked at around 60 while my gpu peaked at around 88, both of which are around where I've seen benchmarks. I also reinstalled my graphics drivers and updated a bunch of other drivers that I missed when I built the pc. Everything appears to be working as it should now! Thanks for your help everyone!