Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Yah, it'll make for many jobs, so that's great, but I don't think a lot of us are that enthused about it. It's not so much that pipelines have a high fail rating either, in fact that's pretty low afaik, but the pipes dump into ships, and well...exxon, b.p. , you know?
    I don't particularly care to entrust my coastline to oil and gas, not that they are careless, but shit happens, and when it happens it's usually pretty aweful >.<

@Sydänyö: stop flaming my nationality bro, it's small of you, and not correct at all.
    Let me break it down like a fraction for you: The people who own the oil and gas companies you are saying this shit about, and calling them Canadians...are you even sure the board members of these oil and gas corps. are even Canadian? Or even their investors?
    Do you think they are going to galavant around Canada spreading wealth and rubbing suntan oil on us?
    Did you know that the vast majority of us all live in the south of Canada only 250-300 miles from it's border?
    Did you know that the summers are quite warm and always have been?
    I grew up wearing shorts and a tshirt in summer here, and so did everyone else...
    Pretty sure if you think about it for a moment, the same people screw everyone, round the planet, full stop.
    So put your trash talk away, you know the same greedy bastards rule the planet, no matter what country they pick to squat and dump on for the time being.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2014-06-18 at 06:31 AM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

tbh with the US becoming the biggest producer in the world recently, Keystone seems less and less likely. I mean, I wouldn't mind exporting another quarter million barrels a day to you guys, but northern gateway imo is better.

Though that "production increase" is mostly Gas increases. Crude is probably going to stay relatively the same. What can I say, the US likes the "B"...Bitumen that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Yah, it'll make for many jobs, so that's great, but I don't think a lot of us are that enthused about it. It's not so much that pipelines have a high fail rating either, in fact that's pretty low afaik, but the pipes dump into ships, and well...exxon, b.p. , you know?
    I don't particularly care to entrust my coastline to oil and gas, not that they are careless, but shit happens, and when it happens it's usually pretty aweful >.<
    That's also why there's been a slough of regulatory increases in regards to safety too.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-06-18 at 06:27 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    tbh with the US becoming the biggest producer in the world recently, Keystone seems less and less likely. I mean, I wouldn't mind exporting another quarter million barrels a day to you guys, but northern gateway imo is better.
    Keystone was never intended to bring oil to the US market. They just want access to our refining facilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123ABC View Post
    It's because of people doing things like this that keeps the world running
    It's because of people doing things like this that keeps increasing pollution and making the climate change worse. There are alternatives, and sacrifices could be made to ensure a habitable planet for future generations, but nobody gives a shit about their children, or their children's children.

It's like, you could go hungry for a month, to make sure you live for a decade, but you choose not to be hungry for a month, and instead die after the month is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Keystone was never intended to bring oil to the US market. They just want access to our refining facilities.
    Oh I know WTI is weak anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

Though that "production increase" is mostly Gas increases. Crude is probably going to stay relatively the same. What can I say, the US likes the "B"...Bitumen that is.

That's also why there's been a slough of regulatory increases in regards to safety too.
    If you're more familiar woith it, would any spills be able to seep into the aquafer? Thats always been my b ig concern, cause the Ogallala contributes multi millions to agriculture. Much more than the oil in the pipe would ever do.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.

I don't give a fuck how safe they claim it is THIS TIME
    I'm not thrilled to have it in my backyard.
    Doesn't change a damn thing, like at all. It'll go in.
    But I am wary. And I should be.
    You'd have to be a complete idiot not to have some concern.

Interesting stuff though, sounds like you might have some time in the industry?
    And yes for now it's Gas more than oil, still, as 'safe' as gas has been, it's something to keep an eye on I'd think.
    Last edited by Bigbamboozal; 2014-06-18 at 06:38 AM.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If you're more familiar woith it, would any spills be able to seep into the aquafer? Thats always been my b ig concern, cause the Ogallala contributes multi millions to agriculture. Much more than the oil in the pipe would ever do.
    I am mostly an observer, I'm in IT! But I could talk to our Geologist tomorrow I mean there's documentation on the concern and it says "no," which is in contrast to the reports from like 2011 that says "maybe." Just depends on who you wanna trust. The current Keystone is an outdated 30 year old turd and has leaked before. It traverses the Ogallala too afaik in Nebraska and I'm not aware of anything that definitively says it has done damage to it. But don't quote me on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Yah? How is that different from say...after exxon to when B.P. happened?
    And furthermore, I don't give a fuck how safe they claim it is THIS TIME
    I'm not thrilled to have it in my backyard.
    Doesn't change a damn thing, like at all. It'll go in.
    But I am wary. And I should be.
    You'd have to be a complete idiot not to have some concern.
    Nothing is perfect. But neither is continuing to cart it by train or by truck, which is the alternative here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am mostly an observer, I'm in IT! But I could talk to our Geologist tomorrow I mean there's documentation on the concern and it says "no," which is in contrast to the reports from like 2011 that says "maybe." Just depends on who you wanna trust. The current Keystone is an outdated 30 year old turd and has leaked before. It traverses the Ogallala too afaik in Nebraska and I'm not aware of anything that definitively says it has done damage to it. But don't quote me on it!
    Im justy concerned cause cleaning up an aquifer is a royal bitch, being underground and all, and the amount of money lost form agriculture no longer being able to use that water would easily outdo any gains from the pipeline.

Call me skeptical after the BP Gulf incident >.>

Im justy concerned cause cleaning up an aquifer is a royal bitch, being underground and all, and the amount of money lost form agriculture no longer being able to use that water would easily outdo any gains from the pipeline.

Call me skeptical after the BP Gulf incident >.>
    Oh for sure. I hate to rely on "industry faith" in this shit really because they really have their own agenda. But I generally trust that these people know more than I do and probably know what they're doing these days and with something this "hot" the oversight is going to be anal as fuck lol.

Deepwater was such a fuckin' calamity too. Canadian/American Engineers > Korean anyway!

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Ban procurement of worthless windpower.
    I know some folks have an overtly negative reaction to the aesthetic of it, but is the energy production really so poor as to be called worthless?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Delaying Keystone has been nothing but a "feel good" policy by a President whose entire platform has gradually morphed into that.

Want to fight climate change?
    Carbon schmarbon. Keystone should be opposed because it's a disaster waiting to happen being built by a company known to be incompetent at building and operating pipelines.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I know some folks have an overtly negative reaction to the aesthetic of it, but is the energy production really so poor as to be called worthless?
    If you end up living near it you can go insane, so there's that!

Deleted

That's what Keystone would've been, except much worse.

why does the first video say "Arkansas, Canada"? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad this is finally going through. We can sell at a higher price to Asia as well. Not to mention that two of the major oil companies in Canada are controlled by China and Malaysia. I know the general feeling in the place I live (Winnipeg) has been that the US has been flip flopping on this for far too long. That we are getting impatient with it as well.

Now what would make things awesome is if we invested into high speed rails and upgraded existing lines to support them. It would at least create a viable alternative to flying across Canada. The current system in place is more expensive than flying.

I think what the US should take from this is we aren't just going to sit around and wait anymore.

As for alternative energy, it largely depends where you are in Canada on how energy is generated. Manitoba generates a huge amount of hydro-electric power that is cheap for ourselves and we also export energy to North Dakota as well.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you end up living near it you can go insane, so there's that!
    Sounds like we should be weaponizing wind farms.

But seriously, what the hell? Time for Google-fu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Sounds like we should be weaponizing wind farms.

But seriously, what the hell? Time for Google-fu.
    lol it's probably not true, it just crops up often when people talk about wind turbines.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Wind_Turbine_Syndrome

10+ Year Old Account
    lol it's probably not true, it just crops up often when people talk about wind turbines.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Wind_Turbine_Syndrome
    Explains why UNT people are weird!

https://sustainable.unt.edu/wind-power-apogee-stadium

Pretty sure it's just "cuz Texas"