Deleted

chi brew vs ascension PvE

Can't really make up my mind. With chi brew I sometimes have times I can't press anything, but I get more TeB stacks and chi. What would you guys advise with my gear? (if my gear is gemmed/reforged wrongly, please tell me too).

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Navitas/simple

Thank you in advance

It's in the guide, Chi Brew is a DPS increase regardless of gear. Ascension is easier to use, but less DPS.

Ascension gains more value when you're below 35% health as well because your energy will hit 40 quicker than without. Not a huge major difference, but something to note. Honestly I use ascension because it just smooths out energy generation and because I've got enough crit to where generating elusive brew is not a problem.
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Leblue View Post
    Ascension gains more value when you're below 35% health as well because your energy will hit 40 quicker than without. Not a huge major difference, but something to note. Honestly I use ascension because it just smooths out energy generation and because I've got enough crit to where generating elusive brew is not a problem.
    Great answer for BrM. I'm pretty sure he means WW though since he mentioned TEB >.>

Great answer for BrM. I'm pretty sure he means WW though since he mentioned TEB >.>
    I missed that and thusly plead the fifth. Wouldn't have said anything if I'd caught that since I stay away from WW >_>
    Every time you say "Brewmasters need to stay at 40-60% to be optimal" your favorite deity kills 10 kittens. Here is how it actually works from the Sparkle Dragon's mouth
    Play Monster Hunter? Here's my FC: 1779-0791-2717

Thanks Shyama for the awesome Signature

7+ Year Old Account
    If you can manage usage of Energising Brew, FoF, and Chi Brew well, you won't have energy issues using CB over Ascension. Also, more deeps!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    It's in the guide, Chi Brew is a DPS increase regardless of gear. Ascension is easier to use, but less DPS.
    At all levels....not really. At low haste levels, they are near equal in value. Chi Brew maybe able to gain more total TeB at low haste ratings, but you may not have the energy regen to use said TeB stacks. Until 6-8k Haste rating, Ascension is just as good as Chi Brew. So I normally tell newer WW monks to go with Ascension until they have ToT LFR level gear, at which point start looking into Chi Brew. You have to remember Total, Ascension was as good as Chi Brew at the start of 5.4 and Chi Brew only got better after the hotfix. Top end monks who were just getting into SoO at the start of 5.4 were using Ascension and were not switching full time to Chi Brew until ~10k haste rating at the time. They switched back to Ascnesion only for fights that had them using Rushing Jade Wind. After the hotfix, Chi Brew was miles away better at 10k haste. So having people use Ascension, get used to the rotation, then work in Chi Brew is a better suggestion, than just saying go Chi Brew flat out. Most people don't give a rats ass what your dps is at that level of gearing. It isn't until Flex or normal SoO that people start to really look at your dps.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2014-06-20 at 07:29 AM.

Chi Brew is better, but ... It can also add a lot of hassle to someone still struggling to learn their class, and deal with all the encounter mechanics. Personally, I've always run with Ascension on my BrM & WW, and Chi Brew on my MW.

I prefer to flow of Energy, as well as the extra Chi, which lets me do my normal rotation, but sometimes have a "spare" Chi left over for me to purify (BrM), Tiger Palm (WW) or Thunder Focus Tea (MW). It's nice to have, and honestly the difference isn't that insane unless you're playing at a really high level and can weave it into your rotation perfectly.

More Chi = More DPS. More Energy = More DPS. You just have the weigh up your desired play style and determination to the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    At all levels....not really. At low haste levels, they are near equal in value. Chi Brew maybe able to gain more total TeB at low haste ratings, but you may not have the energy regen to use said TeB stacks. Until 6-8k Haste rating, Ascension is just as good as Chi Brew. So I normally tell newer WW monks to go with Ascension until they have ToT LFR level gear, at which point start looking into Chi Brew. You have to remember Total, Ascension was as good as Chi Brew at the start of 5.4 and Chi Brew only got better after the hotfix. Top end monks who were just getting into SoO at the start of 5.4 were using Ascension and were not switching full time to Chi Brew until ~10k haste rating at the time. They switched back to Ascnesion only for fights that had them using Rushing Jade Wind. After the hotfix, Chi Brew was miles away better at 10k haste. So having people use Ascension, get used to the rotation, then work in Chi Brew is a better suggestion, than just saying go Chi Brew flat out. Most people don't give a rats ass what your dps is at that level of gearing. It isn't until Flex or normal SoO that people start to really look at your dps.
    The thing is that there's no such thing as someone that can't get 6k or higher haste. The starter level 90 boost Monk set that is only 483 ilvl has 3908 haste on it.

People with lower than ToT ilvl don't exist because the Timeless Isle exists. I specifically said that Ascension was easier to use, and the levels of haste you're talking about where it isn't totally eclipsed by Chi Brew don't exist anymore. I'm not really sure how "Chi Brew is more DPS but Ascension is easier to use" doesn't cover the exact state of that talent tier, it doesn't really require any more elaboration than that except in oddball cases where someone can't just go to the Timeless Isle and get free 496 ilvl gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    The thing is that there's no such thing as someone that can't get 6k or higher haste. The starter level 90 boost Monk set that is only 483 ilvl has 3908 haste on it.

People with lower than ToT ilvl don't exist because the Timeless Isle exists. I specifically said that Ascension was easier to use, and the levels of haste you're talking about where it isn't totally eclipsed by Chi Brew don't exist anymore. I'm not really sure how "Chi Brew is more DPS but Ascension is easier to use" doesn't cover the exact state of that talent tier, it doesn't really require any more elaboration than that except in oddball cases where someone can't just go to the Timeless Isle and get free 496 ilvl gear.
    Well you are not guarenteed haste on your Timeless Isle gear since it's completely random. Unless you have a ton of gear stocked up where you can just keep trying until you get a perfect set which may or may not be the case.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2014-06-20 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Well you are not guarenteed haste on your Timeless Isle gear since it's completely random. Unless you have a ton of gear stocked up where you can just keep trying until you get a perfect set which may or may not be the case.
    Yeah but at that point you're talking about someone that won't keep trying more pieces of Timeless gear or grind BGs for a bit for 550 ilvl gear, and I don't think that person would really care about maximizing DPS from talents. I mean this isn't T15 anymore where it took some amount of time to get up to 500 ilvl, it's incredibly easy with minimal effort and if you don't have max hit, expertise, and 8k+ haste after a week of hitting 90 you're probably not doing anything where anyone would care about your DPS anyways.