Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Patent Office: Name Redskins Disparaging

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...kins-trademark

Whats next, Packer becomes an offensive term?

Meh, anything can be offensive, and they have a right to be offended. But people also have a right to name their team what they want.

This is an issue thats been pushed hard now for the last several years... and in my eyes its bullshit. As someone with a large American Indian heritage, the name Redskin is not offensive to me. I dont believe it is offensive in general, it is history and heritage. Others may disagree about its "offensive" nature.... but fuck them.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is not disparaging? And frankly this case has dragged on for 8 years allready cause it previously got the same result but was overturned on a technicality. This has been a long time coming and it's just the first step in a much longer process to finally get that name changed like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    How is not disparaging? And frankly this case has dragged on for 8 years allready cause it previously got the same result but was overturned on a technicality. This has been a long time coming and it's just the first step in a much longer process to finally get that name changed like it should.
    why should it be changed? i'd like to know how it's racist?

i got a great grand mother that looks like she was fresh out the teepee when great grand daddy married her, am i supposed to suddenly be offended by shit like this because i'm mixed? i'd bet money she didn't give a rat's ass either. this goddamned social justice crusade is starting to really fucking piss me off.

10+ Year Old Account
    its hardly a big deal... the cleveland indians are still a thing in baseball. so are the braves. and padres. in the cfl edmonton is the eskimos.

Oh my god, why do we have to change every little thing over some crybabies' opinions? The only people who are "offended" are people who either (1) want to sue and get rich off of this or (2) are obsessively PC about everything and whine about every little bullshit problem.

Deleted
    Well then, let's look at these names;
    Jewtown? Oh my.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewtown,_Pennsylvania

Little Negro Creek? Really now?
    http://travelingluck.com/North+Ameri...gro+Creek.html

And so forth: http://www.woodyandrizzuto.com/2012/...-racist-names/

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

i got a great grand mother that looks like she was fresh out the teepee when great grand daddy married her, am i supposed to suddenly be offended by shit like this because i'm mixed? i'd bet money she didn't give a rat's ass either. this goddamned social justice crusade is starting to really fucking piss me off.
    Its not that its "racist" its that it was once considered slang or a slur for all indians. This is what people are butt hurt about.

I myself am 1/8th blackfoot, and i couldnt give 2 shits about it.

It is the equivalent of calling a team the "Georgia Darkies", the "Mexican Beaners", or the "Australian Abos". Whether or not you personally find it offensive is, ultimately, irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Malta View Post
    It is the equivalent of calling a team the "Georgia Darkies", the "Mexican Beaners", or the "Australian Abos". Whether or not you personally find it offensive is, ultimately, irrelevant.
    No... it carries about the same weight as the term "redneck".

Capitalism at work it seems. Good to know that at least in some cases the good side gets a few wins. The longer the owner holds out on this, the harder it will be to spin it as his idea.

This is white people being offended for other people who aren't offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Self righteous crusaders...

"In its 2-1 ruling issued on Wednesday, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, an independent tribunal within the USPTO, wrote that it was charged with determining only whether the trademark was offensive to the people it referenced, not the entire U.S. population. Five Native Americans, representing four tribes, brought the case against the league in 2006."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

Do me a favor, walk up to the next full bloodied native american indian you see and call him a redskin.
    Tell me how that went for you when you wake up.

- - - Updated - - -

No, this is 4 entire tribes being offended for the last decade, and finally getting something done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    "In its 2-1 ruling issued on Wednesday, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, an independent tribunal within the USPTO, wrote that it was charged with determining only whether the trademark was offensive to the people it referenced, not the entire U.S. population. Five Native Americans, representing four tribes, brought the case against the league in 2006."
    I can guarantee they will profit from this if it goes through. There is literally no other reason to be pulling this bullshit unless they're just spiteful or obsessively PC morons.

4 tribes..... of the hundreds that are worried about actual problems that they face after being forced onto reservations... if you honestly think this is an issue most of the American Indians give a shit about, you are sadly mistaken.

Every person on this thread who is arguing that they don't see how it is racist, or that they don't find it offensive (possibly adding that they have Native American heritage) is essentially proving themselves to be in the wrong because their comment is only valid if they presume that the name would be wrong if it was racist or offensive. They are arguing about whether or not they find the term offensive, as opposed to whether or not it's okay to have an offensive term. They would only make this argument if they inherently believed that the term is wrong if it is offensive, otherwise they would have no point.

With that in mind, it really doesn't matter if you personally find it offensive or racist. What matters is that an extremely significant portion of society does. And just like so many other conventions within our society, when something causes personal offence to a large group of people in regards to issues of discrimination, it becomes inappropriate to use that term in something like a sports team.

And to those of you who say you don't care what other people think, well, if you don't care about anyone else's thoughts then your opinion isn't valid in this conversation because you've disqualified yourself from having any interest in the issue beyond yourself.

Deleted
    "Five Native Americans, representing four tribes, brought the case against the league in 2006."
    I wonder how many of them are *real* native Americans and not "I'm 1/512th Indian, I think".