Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its Obama's fault because neither the Clinton nor Bush administration used the Patent Office to remove the trademark arbitrarily because they thought it was the right thing to do, and the Owner and NFL refused to change it on their own. Obama talked about the fact he thought it needed changed and several weeks later the trademark was revoked. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...35e_story.html This wasnt a decision ordered by the court. The case still hasnt been decided.
    You're blaming him for weighing his opinion on something and other people respecting that opinion and responding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    You're blaming him for weighing his opinion on something and other people respecting that opinion and responding?
    Im saying he ordered them to do it behind the scenes and they did it since he has the ability to fire them if he chooses (They are appointed). Its just too convenient that it happened right after he mentioned it in a speech. Other government officials gave the same opinions in the past to placate a vocal minority of Indians and it never got revoked before. Its the way Obama works. If he cant do something the proper way, he looks for ways to get around the roadblock. In this case, he cant force them to change the name, so he just has the trademark revoked instead.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-06-24 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    You are interested in people that disagree with you going against the wall, though
    Yup I was totally 100% literal.

- - - Updated - - -

Its Obama's fault because neither the Clinton nor Bush administration used the Patent Office to remove the trademark arbitrarily because they thought it was the right thing to do, and the Owner and NFL refused to change it on their own. Obama talked about the fact he thought it needed changed and several weeks later the trademark was revoked. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...35e_story.html This wasnt a decision ordered by the court. The case still hasnt been decided.
    There's no reason to think Obama was involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im saying he ordered them to do it behind the scenes and they did it since he has the ability to fire them if he chooses (They are appointed). Its just too convenient that it happened right after he mentioned it in a speech. Other government officials gave the same opinions in the past to placate a vocal minority of Indians and it never got revoked before. Its the way Obama works. If he cant do something the proper way, he looks for ways to get around the roadblock. In this case, he cant force them to change the name, so he just has the trademark revoked instead.
    The only thing that's convenient is your ability to blame Obama on everything. It might also be relevant that the team gained more spotlight in recent history due to the blockbuster trade and the resulting signing if RG3. You need to throttle your irrational Obama hate or else people will think you blame everything on Obama.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I know what I said I wasn't going to post in here, but I got to thinking when I saw this thread still hasn't died yet.

I honestly hope they continue to use the name even after this. Better that Indians can look at the name being used with pride even in the face of adversity.

If they do change over this, I can see it being used as a racist joke about how they were willing to change their name and abandon their culture rather than offend the government.

It is a rather offensive way of looking at it, but I can see that as being one of the things the more messed up people would do.

I personally would rather the team keep the name rather than the whole team turned into a racist joke over some butt hurt attention whores looking for something to complain about. The name is right now is meant to compliment then, they change it over this it will become an embarrassment to them.

This is NOT capitalism. This is the government limiting free speech and throwing a hissy fit. They asked the owner to change the name and he refused, so since the Obama administration didnt get their way, they throw a hissy fit and use their power to force the change.
    As it said in the original article it was an independent tribunal inside the US patent office, but yeah sure ITS TEH GUBBERMINT so thanks Obama.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Blanco Basura: A seemingly innocuous phrase, Blanco Basura, rendered into English, is actually the highly offensive slur “white trash.” White trash is a derogatory insult that typically refers to poor, white Americans, who have a penchant for crime and a patent disrespect for authority. Apparently, they thought they could go unnoticed designing a hateful beer.
    I dispute that "white trash" is highly offensive.

Anyway, those inconsistencies you pointed out are inevitable in an organisation as large as the patents office. The redskins issue is prominent so it has received attention, those other products are all obscure so probably nobody has looked at them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MW4Life View Post
    Washington Warriors?

Such a boring name. Its like naming your kid John.
    I don't know why they don't just go back to being the Braves, which is the team's original name. Surely that's not offensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rename the team to the Indians and use a cartoonish Native American head as the logo. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I personally would rather the team keep the name rather than the whole team turned into a racist joke over some butt hurt attention whores looking for something to complain about. The name is right now is meant to compliment then, they change it over this it will become an embarrassment to them.
    Sterling shouldn't lose his Clippers then. He never even used a slur.

10+ Year Old Account
    And in probably the most hilarious example of political correctness...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/mn-se...ore-offensive/
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    Sterling shouldn't lose his Clippers then. He never even used a slur.
    I think if he knew the price Clippers would net, he would have sold the team before any of this. The 2 billion is even resonating through NFL... If a 2nd tier in popularity basketball team in LA nets 2 billion, what's an NFL team in LA worth? 10? Every fan of an NFL team that has questionable ownership or stadium, should be scared. Sorry for off-topic...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi