1st time build! Will this work and do I need all this? ~$900-$1k

Budget: ideally under $1000

Resolution: 1680x1050 x 2 monitors

Games / Settings Desired: WoW, FFXIV, GW2 at max or near-max settings. I might play Wildstar, Sims 4, some other stuff but never anything as heavy as say Crysis. I'm not that into PC gaming outside of MMOs but I would like some power to spare so I can keep up with games for a few years.

Any other intensive software or special things you do: I am a graphic designer and need to run Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign CS6/CC sometimes simultaneously. I sometimes work with large files for Photoshop animating/painting/photo retouching, and I may be learning some AfterEffects in the future but it's unlikely that I'll ever be doing any major video editing. I will hopefully be getting a Cintiq tablet soon, don't know if that takes more power to run.

Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: Yes, I'll buy Windows 7 because 8 makes me sad. If there's a huge important reason to get 8 instead please feel free to yell at me!
    Do you need peripherals: Nope

Here's the build I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RmYhmG

And a breakdown for you:
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    SSD(just for OS and CS6): PNY Optima 240GB 2.5"
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
    Optical: SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R

Now, a few things to note:
    This is my first time building a PC. I'm researching like crazy, and eager to learn, and I'm looking to make sure my build is all compatible and won't catch fire or something.

I took this build from someone else on pcpartpicker and just downgraded the GPU and took out the aftermarket CPU cooler (because I'll never overclock). I did this to play it safe because I don't know what I'm doing well enough to go from scratch. That said I'm not 100% committed to any of these specific parts, so any alternative recommendations are fine by me.

I do not ever plan on overclocking this, so can any parts be downgraded without losing performance? I know the 4670K processor is for overclocking and I don't need that, but it was like $10 more than the non-K version. I don't know if the motherboard can be downgraded, I read something about H87 for regular use vs needing Z87 for overclocking, but don't know what other board I could pick that would work.

I'm also pretty dead set on getting a small PC and I love that Prodigy case...just because it looks nice. The logo on the front of it reminds me of the blood elf crest

So! If there is any way to make this cheaper without losing much performance I would really appreciate and welcome any advice. I'm just looking for something that will make my games pretty and make Adobe run smoothly that will last a few years. If I'm way off base and you have recommendations for a different build in my budget I would be open to that, too.

Thanks so much for reading and for any help you can give me!

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.38 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($103.24 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($229.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $999.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 03:58 EDT-0400

The psu is somewhat expensive, there are cheaper ones, but this one is one of the best and semi-modular to help you with cable management since this is a mini build.

Deleted
    Just a note on the PSU choice for the case, the Seasonic M12II will fit even if it's going to be a little tight. Actually getting a modular PSU for these ITX builds is worse because they're longer, it has to do with how the connections are mounted. For example the S12II is 140mm whereas the M12II is 150mm, this case handle 160mm (non-modular) but again will be a bit tight.

Also described in this review of the case by Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5867/b...able-miniitx/3

You'll really want 16GB of Memory for CS6/similar (e.g. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...-ct2k8g3s160bm), so by any chance, is it possible to rise your budget slightly? Cutting down on the GPU doesn't seem reasonable for your gaming needs, so the only option you'd have otherwise would leave out the SSD (or opt for ATX over m-ITX)

Deleted
    (stormgust) 204DIMM won't fit in a 240DIMM board.

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
    A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Then you can swap the PSU to this to save a little:

XFX PRO 550W 80+ Bronze Certified (140mm)

Drop the DVD drive and install your OS from USB to save a little bit extra.

Deleted
    As Notarget said, the Seasonic M12II i proposed does fit and its no problem that is modular. If you look in my build its exactly the same case space wise with my current one, max 160mm psu and i use a fully modular RM650. Its going to be a tight fit either way and since we are talking about mini/micro cases you can really benefit from not having unused cables.

Then again if budget is that tight and you need the 16GB ram then the xfx pro proposed above would be ideal to cut down the cost, choices, choices

You can drop down to an i3 4330 and spend an extra 100 bucks on your GPU. there's like a 1% difference on most games on ultra(even bf4) between a 4690k and an i3 4330 with a gtx titan.

Also you should drop down to 8gb ram the extra money can def net you a 770. Easily 30%-40% more fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    You can drop down to an i3 4330 and spend an extra 100 bucks on your GPU. there's like a 1% difference on most games on ultra(even bf4) between a 4690k and an i3 4330 with a gtx titan.

Also you should drop down to 8gb ram the extra money can def net you a 770. Easily 30%-40% more fps.
    He plans on playing mmos, so a better cpu would be the best bet.

Deleted
    Dunno about you but an i3, any i3 doesn't fit next to a gtx770 or similar gpu and higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    (stormgust) 204DIMM won't fit in a 240DIMM board.
    Ugh, yeah sorry about that. Don't know how I managed to link a wrong kit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post

He specifically mentioned that he plans to use the built for graphics design, running multiple applications simultaneously. So I don't see how dropping down to a dual core/8gb ram is an option here.

The bit fenix case is nice. Make sure you pre plan how your going to put everything in. If your main idea was to get something small you may notice when you get it its really not that much smaller than a mid atx case. Prepare to rip the top hard drive bracket out to fit your video card and if you ever decide to put aftermarket cooling in it down the line the DVD drive will need to possibly be ripped as well.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond!

@Kostattoo, thanks for pointing out a different motherboard/CPU combo for me, I was stuck there. And I'm sure the modular PSU is ideal, I'll be watching for prices on that stuff.

@Notarget & stormgust, taking your advice on getting 16GB ram now, so it's just maxed out and done and can help my graphic design work as much as possible. Also thanks for the PSU suggestion to save a little cash. I will probably also drop the DVD drive, honestly I just had it in there for the very rare occassions when I need to run a cd/dvd but getting an external later wont be a big deal. I know with this case too that leaving an optical drive out means I can put another fan at the top.

@demonskies, I have watched some videos about working with this Prodigy case, I know I have to take drive bays out for the GPU and would have to take the front off for an optical drive, etc, but it doesn't look too bad. I'm speaking with the confidence though of someone who has tinkered around in pre-built PCs but never built her own computer. Ha. I've also heard complaints that yeah, it's not all that small, but compared to this beast I've had for the last six years, it's WAY smaller and prettier, and hopefully it will run a lot cooler. My current computer heats up the whole room.

And yes, overall I'm more concerned with a stronger processor and higher ram that will last me a while than skimping on those to get a monster graphics card that I will probably never fully utilize. Being able to play some light/mid range games at the nicest settings will be a bonus, but speaking practically the reason I really NEED a new PC is for my design work.

Taking all your responses into account, this is what I've come up with. It does keep the GTX660 rather than 760, that's because I scoured reviews and I'd be nervous to get one of the cheaper 760s with very mixed reviews when I can get a 660 with solid reviews for less money that sounds like it will still easily handle the games I'll be playing right now. I won't be heartbroken if I can't push everything to 100% max settings forever, and I can always upgrade later when prices drop.

If anyone would be so gracious as to just look this over one last time for me to make sure I didn't mess anything up, if the PSU is big enough, etc I'd be very grateful. Then I can start looking for sales and buying parts! So excited!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.38 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.81 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $985.11
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-19 16:17 EDT-0400

Thanks dudes!
    Last edited by kencandraw; 2014-06-19 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    Yes the build you got there is good to go. A couple last suggestions from me:

1. I would insist you reconsider the 660. Its an old card and you can afford the newer 760. The 760 is around 30% better and you will have to replace it later than you would the 660, will last you for longer

2. Personally i haven't got win8.1 yet, i am still with win7, but i plan to get it soon. Its better/newer system, its faster, uses less resources etc and you can make it look like win7. So if you already got win8 you can save off some money. Also Notarget linked on another build today that you can get a win8.1 key for 20bucks here. Thats another 65bucks saved again.

- - - Updated - - -

@Notarget lol

Deleted
    I'm sorry mate

My fear with Windows 8 is that it looks like you don't have as much control and you have all their stupid apps in your face, and I've read they report everything you install and can block you from installing...things they don't approve of. That might suck. I think I read that it can be turned off, but it's still a little spooky, no? Other than that metro just irritates the living hell out of me but I know it is technically a better OS, less resources etc so I'm torn on that.

Also...how can a key be THAT cheap? And legit? ._. Would be awesome if it is and I appreciate the tip, I'm just skeptical lol.

And yeah ok you've talked me into the 760 lol, dammit!
    Last edited by kencandraw; 2014-06-19 at 09:16 PM.

Deleted
    Concerning the cheap 8.1, if its legit, i will quote Notarget from the other thread today i mentioned (i hope he doesn't mind ><):

Oh I agree I'm just saying a Windows key is just a key so it shouldn't matter where it's bought unless it was for a payment plan or something

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually going to buy a key there right now to verify how safe and easy it is. It was $25, process was relatively fast and in the process of downloading the image now 2GB of 3.6GB done, then I just need to mount it to a USB flash drive. Key was verified using the tool here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oduct-key-only
    Good to go, installed on USB flash drive, working W8.1 Pro key.

Deleted
    Yeah it's definitely legit and i had no issues installing and applying the the provided key. Downloaded the image, mounted with their USB tool:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Reboot, run from USB, type in the key (write this down somewhere) and you're good to go.

Yeah it's definitely legit and i had no issues installing and applying the the provided key. Downloaded the image, mounted with their USB tool:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Reboot, run from USB, type in the key (write this down somewhere) and you're good to go.
    Well dang, I owe you guys big time- you just saved me like $70! The key was legit, I'm downloading it to save to USB now. I won't know if it for SURE sure works until I get the new computer together, but looks like it will be fine.

You're the best, thanks again!