Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Harley-Davidson is planning to make electric motorcycles

The Harley-Davidson Livewire concept.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/harl...tric-1.2681089

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I saw that. Seems like they ought to be able to get a better range than that when they only need enough juice to move something that small.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Pointless, the best thing about a Harley is the sound of the engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Slap a speaker on it and play an mp3.

As far as I'm concerned, loud engine noise is a bug, not a feature.

200km? That's pathetic.

Well, that's not going to allow their riders to be obnoxiously loud, narcissistic assholes, is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it could actuly be cheaper than gas based one. Oil price is going up and up every year.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    200km? That's pathetic.
    The first article I read said 83 miles, which is even worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, that's not going to allow their riders to be obnoxiously loud, narcissistic assholes, is it?
    Isn't that a right covered under the Constitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I bet there are some people jerking off to that sound. To normal folks, that noise is just annoying.

Thing is super ugly.

I know, I know, it's just alpha!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not what I'd call the most attractive design...
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh no! The manly man self-esteem issues rider will get outraged
    Nice to see that HD explore that option though, very nice
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I drive a motorcycle daily. Just got back from Oakland splitting lanes across the bridge. For reference, I drive a sportsbike primarily, but have ridden choppers and sportsters, I just enjoy sportsbikes more. I dislike Harleys and most people who ride Harleys, though I could go for an older sportster. I gave one a bike wave today, revved his engine at me in anger and I could feel his sadness.

Right now I think electric is pointless, like zero benefits and a handful of negatives.

#1 Range - My trips are either ~6 - 12 mile round trip or ~200 miles in a day. The fun part of a motorcycle is mountains, even if it kills your back. I suppose an electric could be good on the track, but Harley's bike definitely isn't suited for that.
    #2 Noise - To anyone who says noise is a bad thing on a motorcycle hasn't driven one in a city. With exception to my attentiveness and skill, noise has kept me alive more than anything. A quick rev alerts the idiot who's texting changing lanes without a blinker. I purposely keep my engine at high revs splitting lanes because it works. I drop the revs when I'm around open windows, convertibles, or see a pedestrian talking on a phone, but it's seriously a wonderful thing. I'm thinking of changing my exhaust to be louder to be honest... I will say Harleys who rev their engines through residential areas at 2 am are just dicks. There's reasons to rev and sometimes you're in a low gear and engine brake and it's a bit loud on accident, but Harleys are generally dicks about it.
    #3 Acceleration - Due to the the way electric motors work, they have too much torque, at least the one I drive (but that was a sports bike). You have to add so much computer assistance, wheelie control, traction control, abs, etc., just to make the thing rideable..and most of that on a motorcycle is ~3 years old with a lot of bad track records and failures. My bike can do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds as it is, do I really need more torque? There's no need for electricity in terms of speed. The lower top speed doesn't make me happy.
    #4 Engine Braking - Engine braking on electric is faked, it just doesn't feel right. I can come to a complete stop without using my breaks and often do if I have a long runway into a red. Engine braking is a huge part of quick deceleration too, I can't even say I've mastered it in corners or fastest possible stops, I would not want to begin to re-learn it on electric.

That's just the start. There's some weight issues on the one I rode, was far too easy to lowside. If it slips before I can touch a knee due to the weight balance, there's a problem. Maybe in 10 years they'll get better, but honestly the noise thing..I seriously don't know if I could split lanes on an electric bike.

Also, honestly gasoline used in bikes really isn't a problem. I get ~35 mpg in the city and I race the lights and split traffic and drive all sorts of terribly for gas mileage. I get ~45 mpg going ~80-100 mph average on a trip / mountain / road course. Electric could save me money, but motorcycles are cheap.

Last point. What would a Harley be without their patented terrible sound? It would be a normal bike, we don't want them people intermingling with the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    #4 Engine Braking - Engine braking on electric is faked, it just doesn't feel right. I can come to a complete stop without using my breaks and often do if I have a long runway into a red. Engine braking is a huge part of quick deceleration too, I can't even say I've mastered it in corners or fastest possible stops, I would not want to begin to re-learn it on electric.
    It isn't "faked", it's just that the energy that would otherwise be turned into heat is getting turned back into electricity. Regenerative braking is important for electric and hybrid vehicles.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It isn't "faked", it's just that the energy that would otherwise be turned into heat is getting turned back into electricity. Regenerative braking is important for electric and hybrid vehicles.
    By faked, I mean it's an entirely different process than that of an internal combustion engine. It doesn't feel the same, it doesn't slow the same, it's all sorts of wrong. It felt much more consistent (like engine braking at 10 mph was the same speed reduction as 100 mph), whereas the range in my gear that I'm going will change the amount of braking I get. If I downshift and drop the throttle, I'll brake very quickly, much faster than my rear brakes will do, which is great if you know how to control it and it's worth a rear lockup. That surge of braking has been a lifesaver (probably literally). Electric just felt unnatural and wrong. I've also driven a motorcycle for ~6 years as a daily commute, done a ton of track, road courses, and mountain riding, so I'm used to gasoline.

For reference, I drove one of these: https://www.mission-motorcycles.com/ Which I've seriously considered buying, it seems FAR better than the Harley's option in my opinion, but the cost is rediculous, I could buy 3 bikes with the better performance for the price of one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I think he is just saying the feel compared with a natural engine brake is off.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2014-06-19 at 10:46 PM.

You can always make the noise with your mouth.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    You can always make the noise with your mouth.

15+ Year Old Account
    How can I be an edgy, suburban, badass poser if I don't get to rev my engine so loud that nobody within 500 feet of me can hold a conversation?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"