Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I remember seeing an article related to those guys who released all of the data for Snowden, apparently they haven't been able to find a single case where an American was harmed by having their data taken.
    To take just one type of harm done by NSA surveillance, look at parallel construction. The NSA has been (unlawfully) handing over intel to the DEA. The agencies have been trying to hide this use of NSA data, likely because it's illegal, an abuse of an already questionable surveillance program, clearly unconstitutional, and destroys the basic premise of Amercian law (defendants are allowed to confront their accusers in court). While we don't know how many people have been unjustly charged and imprisoned, senior DEA officials trying to defend parallel construction say they use it, "every day".
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    You've never read any George Orwell, have you? I guess that isn't assigned reading in High School. Read 1984, then make the same statement.

Why should I listen to a work of fiction?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'd be surprised if they didn't abuse their position to do things like look for embarrassing emails, phone calls, or whatever during down time.
    I'd expect them to because I sure as hell know I would.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Why should I listen to a work of fiction?
    Because reading is good for you?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'd expect them to because I sure as hell know I would.

- - - Updated - - -

Because reading is good for you?

I read all the time. What I don't do is read fiction and try to apply it to my ideology. Especially fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read all the time. What I don't do is read fiction and try to apply it to my ideology. Especially fiction.
    I take it then you've never read Locke, Hobbes or any other political theorist who wrote a book?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I remember seeing an article related to those guys who released all of the data for Snowden, apparently they haven't been able to find a single case where an American was harmed by having their data taken.
    What has been harmed is the Constitution. The Bill of Rights was not called the Bill of Suggestions for a good reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it then you've never read Locke, Hobbes or any other political theorist who wrote a book?
    Does Calvin and Hobbes count?

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of people in the world do read fiction and apply it to their ideologies.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, that isn't my type of reading material. I was mostly talking about fiction as that was the book that was brought up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The majority of people in the world do read fiction and apply it to their ideologies.

If you are talking about what I think you are I'm not going to touch that subject :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, that isn't my type of reading material. I was mostly talking about fiction as that was the book that was brought up.
    A lot of theorists use hypothetical examples (basically a short fiction) to demonstrate their point.

I always recommend reading some Locke, Hobbes and Marx. Really covers the basics of where most governments draw their ideas these days.

I do find certain fictions beneficial to political learning. Sure, it's not "real" in the sense that its never happened, but it's that sort of hypothetical "here's what could happen and here's why that is bad." that is good to think about.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of theorists use hypothetical examples (basically a short fiction) to demonstrate their point.

I always recommend reading some Locke, Hobbes and Marx. Really covers the basics of where most governments draw their ideas these days.

I do find certain fictions beneficial to political learning. Sure, it's not "real" in the sense that its never happened, but it's that sort of hypothetical "here's what could happen and here's why that is bad." that is good to think about.
    Keynes too.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Keynes too.
    Yep. Though I haven't personally gotten a chance to actually read his books.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keynes too.
    Don't forget Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Nothing will change except it will be less public, every country spies on its citizens and it is common sense to do so.
    Pretty much this.

Technically we're already supposed to be protected under the Bill of Rights. And that never stopped the Feds before. Whats ignoring one more law mean? Especially when you're dealing with groups (the CIA, FBI, NSA) who excel at working around laws to get what they want.