Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's been awhile since I read the Riftwar books, but wasn't Pug/Milamber pretty clever/smart/quick learner? He is not the main character all the time though, the books go on for quite some time and the point of view changes from book to book and sometimes chaper from chapter. I haven't read these books in ages but I remember reallly enjoying them. I should probably read them again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Try the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson.

Kaladin's pretty damn quick on the uptake.
    Yeah, if you can get over his perpetual depression then Kaladin's entertainingly lucid for a protagonist.

I found Shallan smarter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Yeah, if you can get over his perpetual depression then Kaladin's entertainingly lucid for a protagonist.

I found Shallan smarter though.
    I think they're about equally as smart actually, just in different areas of 'smartness'. I dislike Shallan though, I hate her so much.
    The next book in the Stormlight Archives may or may not be really good, because Szeth is interesting, but I'm not really interested in his past.

Yeah, Riftwar was pretty good also.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if its been suggested yet, but, if you're looking for a smart character, try "Lies of Locke Lamora"

One of the smartest protagonists in fantasy, I would think.

The follow up books are pretty good too.

Edit: They wouldn't be considered "high" fantasy. It is set more in the Renaissance Era Italy, if you can imagine that.

Edit2: Please don't read Robin Hobb's Farseer series expecting a smart protagonist. The main person in the series acts so damn dumb at times, it made me want to punch him. Apart from that, its a great series.
    Last edited by Cranial; 2014-09-29 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial View Post
    Dunno if its been suggested yet, but, if you're looking for a smart character, try "Lies of Locke Lamora"

One of the smartest protagonists in fantasy, I would think.

The follow up books are pretty good too.

Edit: They wouldn't be considered "high" fantasy. It is set more in the Renaissance Era Italy, if you can imagine that.

Edit2: Please don't read Robin Hobb's Farseer series expecting a smart protagonist. The main person in the series acts so damn dumb at times, it made me want to punch him. Apart from that, its a great series.
    I'll check out Lies of Locke Lamora thanks, although I usually don't like antihero type stories.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    I'll check out Lies of Locke Lamora thanks, although I usually don't like antihero type stories.
    Locke isn't really an antihero. He's essentially good. I would highly suggest giving it a read, if you're not hooked within the first 100 pages, its not for you.

Locke isn't really an antihero. He's essentially good. I would highly suggest giving it a read, if you're not hooked within the first 100 pages, its not for you.
    Well, then I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'm almost done with the first Wheel of Time book, and it picks up a bit later on in the book. I'll check out the second book after and see how it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to equate it to anything, the Locke Lamora books are more akin to "Fantasy Oceans 11" than anything else.

He's a thief and a con man, but the people he cons are always way worse than he is. He's very much the "lovable good-hearted rogue" character, like Robin Hood or the Stainless Steel Rat.

And actually, that may be an even better comparison. Fantasy Stainless Steel Rat.