Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    I know plenty of above average weight people that are super healthy
    Yeah, no you don't

15+ Year Old Account
    Well fair enough but I don't see what all the fuss is about

But if you're all getting into an argument of health, I can't imagine less than around 60% of thin/skinny people or rather, average weight folk are actually unhealthy.

I know plenty of above average weight people that are super healthy, and a huge number of people of average weight that are just disgustingly unhealthy.

TL;DR weight =/= health is taken far too seriously (is not often true) and is sometimes just a pile of shit excuse used to stigmatize people over a certain weight
    [...]
    It depends on the level of overweight and the source of the added weight. If it's actually obese level of overweight it's certainly not the case that you know a lot of healthy people. A lot of them the least suffer from blood pressure related problems which usually is a very silent killer if left untreated and most people being overweight do not even know about it. In long term these people may be more likely developing further symptoms usually associated with it.

Least of all the fuss is simply that at a certain level of weight people require simply more space, time and resources for transportation and care. If you've never worked in medical care you'll probably not know of the problems with people who are weighing a lot more than they should. I certainly remember it being a quite exhaustive time and fellow nurses had already share their of back problems for constantly being forced to help lifting, turning and washing. Fortunately we also had mini-lifts and cranes but seriously, if you are fully aware of yourself still wouldn't that be a degrading way of experience to be lifted around like cattle for slaughter?

It's really not about stigmatization, it's about raising awareness, like people had their awareness raised for STDs, drugs or other issues usually used for stigmatization only.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Who cares about whos fat whos skinny whos what. When you die it all means nothing

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainepie View Post
    Who cares about whos fat whos skinny whos what. When you die it all means nothing
    lol you have a lovely way of seeing things.
    It's true when you die it all means nothing, but while you're still alive it means a LOT.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Quote Originally Posted by Ayarea View Post
    My sister puts on tons of weight when she uses morphine pills. My eldest sister gaines as soon as she uses antibiotics. Medication CAN increase your weight. People need to stop being so shallow. It's not that all fat people are stuffing pies down their throat all day long.

Also regarding genes. Some families actually do put on weight alot easier than some other families. There has been a documentary about it and the BBC made a show out of that as well at some point.
    I just love anecdotal evidence. I know someone that ate a bunch of unhealthy food and became fat; this means fat people stuff their face to become fat. Only difference is, my scenario is backed up by actual medical proof. Read up on calorie intake, weight gain/loss. Fat doesn't magically appear.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2014-06-25 at 02:45 PM.

How convenient that she finds herself "genetically challenged." Cut her some slack though, it is admittedly easier to make a flawed moral grandstand than to change your lifestyle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainepie View Post
    You are dead far longer than you are alive. That little time alive should be worth something unless being dead is more important to you.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've gathered, she wants to remain obese as a way to say fuck you to society? That's nice and all, and she can do whatever she wants, but when you do that people do tend to react to your rebelliousness. She blames everything on her obesity instead of being open to the possibility that maybe her personality is at fault or the person was having a bad day/is an asshole.

That'd be like me saying that anyone that has ever treated me like shit is racist because I'm black. Sounds pretty ridiculous right? That's because it is. Plus, she's pissed because the doctors tell her about how her weight is unhealthy.... that's their job. To ensure that you are healthy. I don't know I found that article to be complete garbage.

Well fair enough but I don't see what all the fuss is about
    But if you're all getting into an argument of health, I can't imagine less than around 60% of thin/skinny people or rather, average weight folk are actually unhealthy.
    I know plenty of above average weight people that are super healthy, and a huge number of people of average weight that are just disgustingly unhealthy.
    TL;DR weight =/= health is taken far too seriously (is not often true) and is sometimes just a pile of shit excuse used to stigmatize people over a certain weight
    Yes, BMI and weight as a primary measurement is stupid.
    But visceral fat is specifically attributed to nearly all the increased cardiovascular risks. Which can be easily, and far more accurately than BMI, be assessed by waist-to-height ratios. This article articulates that her waist is over-sized.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Never said you can only eat there, merely an example.

And good job refuting the point with an ad hominem.
    Calling you ignorant isn't a personal attack, especially when said ignorance is something you pointed out.

Your example is an irrelevant anecdote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Her weight is the first thing immediately visible that speaks to who she is and what she does. It only gives us one piece of information, but it's a key piece of information - this is a person that's inept at controlling their food intake. That's not a good thing, it's not a positive marker for character. This is fundamentally equivalent to encountering someone with terrible hygiene - yes, you only know one thing about them, but it's a thing that's worth knowing.
    Someone's weight is not a key piece of information about them. Well I will change that it is a key piece of information about the activities they may or may not enjoy doing. But if you are using weight as an overall marker for character you are doing it wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Her weight is the first thing immediately visible that speaks to who she is and what she does. It only gives us one piece of information, but it's a key piece of information - this is a person that's inept at controlling their food intake. That's not a good thing, it's not a positive marker for character. This is fundamentally equivalent to encountering someone with terrible hygiene - yes, you only know one thing about them, but it's a thing that's worth knowing.
    Actually it's a completely irrelevant thing for you to know. Unless you're worried that they're going to steal your food someone's inability to control their food intake should have nothing to do with how you interact with them. And being fat doesn't even necessarily indicate that - they could be completely in control of the food they eat and just choose to eat a lot.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    You can't do that, you might offend someone and you should never offend any one for any reason. Also being offended makes anything you say the absolute truth.

By the way, I'm offended about everything.
    I'm offended about everything, does that mean if we disagree, a paradox occurs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Someone's weight is not a key piece of information about them. Well I will change that it is a key piece of information about the activities they may or may not enjoy doing. But if you are using weight as an overall marker for character you are doing it wrong.
    I don't really see an argument there, just flat disagreement, which is fine, but doesn't change my position at all. I view being obese as a significant marker of lack of self control and motivation - it's fine if you say, "well, I don't", but you shouldn't be surprised when you encounter people that disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Actually it's a completely irrelevant thing for you to know. Unless you're worried that they're going to steal your food someone's inability to control their food intake should have nothing to do with how you interact with them. And being fat doesn't even necessarily indicate that - they could be completely in control of the food they eat and just choose to eat a lot.
    Being completely in control, but choosing to eat so much that one incurs health risks and reduced fitness is an even more pathological behavior than just lacking the self control to eat less or exercise more.