Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    you have to remember that every guild is always looking for new members who aren't morons, good players and such you know. I have certain guilds on my server blacklisted from me ever joining (some from me ever even pugging with) purely because of the actions of 1 or 2 people. I know you can't judge an entire guild by a couple people in it, but the fact remains those people were raiding with said guild and were the only members I had any interaction with, so it's my only experience with said guild. Those guilds might even be high-end heroic progression but because of some of the trolls they have, the less intellectual kind that is, I just don't play with them.

I mean there's a line every guild should draw in my book. If you have a dps who sits in tradechat all day spamming the same old annoying trolls, that serves to give your guild a bad rep and limits who will join them. Now some trolls I find interesting, they say genuinely intelligent things, but they're few and far in between.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1k31zoaV-U

I clear bronze, silver, and attempt gold proving grounds! Tank mode of course. Warlock, tank mode.

Deleted
    Ah man, my guild is just horrible when it comes to trolling (not in a mean or dumb way, but sorta get people a little peeved on some things) and teasing people in chat and in dungeons. But really that is what we are know for at this point, luckily we are really good at raids, so we never really needed to act all business and gentle like (but not assholes either).

It is a game, malicious trolling and direct attacks should of course not be tolerated (and we really have a role about that), but having a good time and teasing a little bit is just adding to the game (we have a main tank that drags cleaving bosses to pugs in the first pull, because he want to see if they react fast)

For me, it is all fun and games, though I respect people that want to be respectful and receive respect in reverse (I have had times where I had to crack the whip at my guildmates)

And by divine beings I used a lot of brackets in this post.

My guild doesn't have any specific rules against posting in General, etc, just don't be a jerk and treat others how you'd like to be treated and don't say anything that will reflect poorly on the guild.

It's for this reason that I use a forum name with a different name from any of my toons in-game and I rarely talk in general or trade chat. I tend to get argumentative and sometimes I like to have fun and troll and I don't want people to think that it's reflective of the attitude and personality of my guild. Inside the guild we're all nice people who have a good time. But people tend to label guilds based on the way one or two people in the guild act in the public channels, so that's why I prefer more anonymity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Guilds that ask me to 'behave' often find their guild tabs raided for valuable items.
    There are times I enjoy acting silly, no one can tell me to stop once I start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Intellectual superiority on the internet is like a plague, a guild is a pretty hollow experience if you cant have a little fun.
    It's not about intellectual superiority, it's about not having fun at the expense of others (at least outside of PvP). We can (and do) have a lot of fun without resorting to acting like tools in public channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    It's not about intellectual superiority, it's about not having fun at the expense of others (at least outside of PvP). We can (and do) have a lot of fun without resorting to acting like tools in public channels.
    For higher end raiding guilds it's also a question of recruitment and making a good impression. Nobody wants to apply for the guild full of tools that will make then feel like shit at the littlest mistake.

guilds that try and protect their rep so badly like that are sad. they are anti-fun. its human nature to be an ass at times. denying that is boring as fuck. of course theres some limits to everything but thats up to the guild discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    guilds that try and protect their rep so badly like that are sad. they are anti-fun. its human nature to be an ass at times. denying that is boring as fuck. of course theres some limits to everything but thats up to the guild discretion.
    Good rep is highly important for any competitive guild. You see it out in the real world, too. Sports teams often spend a lot of time and energy making sure their players present a positive image of the team. Having a reputation for being a helpful guild that's willing to give advice and work with the public goes a long way in attracting new potential recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    It isn't always about protecting your rep. I don't like to play with people who act to much like an "ass". Therefore I wouldn't join a guild where it's members did. Also the assertion that "its human nature to be an ass at times" is quite flawed. I personally don't feel the need to and I know several others who feel the same way.

I don't think any guilds like this exist on Tarren Mill EU, Siege general chat is almost as cancerous as Twitch.tv chat (yes I do join in).

Most guilds I've been in have rules (formal or informal) regarding behavior. Most allow you to play in /2 as long as its nice. Being an asshat to people, trolling, or otherwise being an idiot is rarely tolerated. No spamming anal jokes, no spamming Thunderfury, no attacking other players, etc. Racist or otherwise bigoted posts are almost always immediate gkicks. This usually applied to /1 during raid as well with the exception that you don't mess around in chat at all when the RL is giving instructions and if we're wiping and you're screwing around, don't expect to continue raiding.

I personally prefer these sorts of rules. I have no problem with being silly. However there really is no excuse for being a douchenugget to anyone and I don't want your douchebaggery to reflect on me simply because we have the same guild name.

Never had a formal policy.

We've had someone who pushed our guilds non-restrictive policy to its limits & by being a regular major feature in trade chat caused us very real recruiting issues. He was a nice guy in person once you got to know him, but no one who didn't know him already wanted anything to do with him or anyone he associated with.

He left of his own accord, but arguably we should've booted him earlier despite solid raid performance.

Our recruiting became easier afterwards & several of the new members commented that they didn't apply earlier due to his behaviour.

Some guilds are under the delusion that wow is serious lol

10+ Year Old Account
    No, otherwise I would have been Gkicked in under a day.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

A guild that discourages trolling would be dreamlike for me. I keep general and trade turned off because people always act so stupid on there.

i was in guild once that took itself to seriously.

cant troll in trade chat, i mean what is the world coming to if u cant even troll noobs ?

didnt stay there long.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Our rules have little to do with chat, and goofing off a bit in trade or general isn't going to be an issue. But we are a guild targeted towards mature adults, so if you were really crossing a line or just spending inordinate amounts of time trolling you'd probably be asked to stop or to leave the guild.

That said, IN guild and in vent we have a lot of fun. We're always teasing one another and goofing around, I find it helps to keep people loose. We try to keep quiet during actual boss fights though to hear call-outs. Other than that, just don't be completely obnoxious or vulgar and you're good.

Deleted
    The biggest rule in my guild is to not be a douche. Not to us, not to pugs.

In a pug, I encourage our guildies to address others by their character name. Personally, I find it rather rude to talk to someone by class or role they play, there's still a person on the other side of the screen who made a character and named it (alt/main doesn't matter). I find it nice that 7 out of 10 regulars also address pugs with names now . Yes, exceptions excist in times of a near-wipe and yada yada, just talking in general.

Only once before had I had a whisper from someone outside guild complaining about a guildy of ours. The person in question was a trial, a douche and bad; our biggest problem was who of us was gonna kick him. I didn't win the /roll...

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is a fine line between harmless fun and trolling.

Looking at it from your officers point of view, depending on your server population, if you rub someone the wrong way, youve just made recruiting harder for them.

During raid time, if youre posting in General, you better not be fucking up and you better be pulling the DPS.

I like to have fun like anyone else, but theres a time and a place.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2014-06-21 at 11:30 AM.

Deleted
    Never really understood the "s/he belongs to X ergo all X is like it". No matter how much obnoxious s/he is s/he is still representing only himself unless someone else comes along to confirm his reperesentation of somebody else or a given group. His guild name under his character name prooves only one thing, he belongs to that guild... and nothing else. As far as I'm concerned there isnt a dumbass that cannot be replaced in order to experience the game content. Also ignore list.