Page 1 of 65
... LastLast

Exclamation Solar FREAKING Roadways!!

Maybe the greatest idea to seriously release our dependence on fossil fuels I've ever seen!

WOW! They made over $300,000 in the past 36 hours!! YAY, fully funded!!

Original video:

I'm a believer!! And you should be too!

BTW if you are cynical and think: Have they thought of THIS!!

Please check this page out, they thought of everything!

FACTS AND QUESTIONS PAGE: http://solarroadways.com/faq.shtml#index

Spread the word! We need to make this happen, don't oil companies and the electricity monopolies destroy the first ever REAL possibilities to have a better energy independent future!

What do you think? Excited? You should be!

Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways#home

Supported by a senator:

More videos with the inventor talking:

Last edited by Forgon; 2014-06-03 at 12:01 AM.

Deleted
    "Asphalt, also known as bitumen, is a sticky, black and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid form of petroleum."

What was that about the oil companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    "Asphalt, also known as bitumen, is a sticky, black and highly viscous liquid or semi-solid form of petroleum."

What was that about the oil companies?
    Did you watch the video, this is against Asphalt. These are not made that, roads today are. They are made of Glass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Did you watch the video, this is against Asphalt. These are not made that, roads today are. They are made of Glass.
    Great so cars run over glass, the glass breaks and crumbles and pops tires. Sounds wonderful to me! What we have now works great and is inexpensive. You tree huggers need to go away instead of grasping for straws, inventing cockamamie ideas and raising costs for all of us in the name of the environment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Great so cars run over glass, the glass breaks and crumbles and pops tires. Sounds wonderful to me! What we have now works great and is inexpensive. You tree huggers need to go away
    Not exactly tree hugging when they want a new source of power, it's not as if coal/ oil is unlimited...

Great so cars run over glass, the glass breaks and crumbles and pops tires. Sounds wonderful to me! What we have now works great and is inexpensive. You tree huggers need to go away
    Please watch the video.. This is not the "glass" you are thinking off, it's tempered glass that has passed ALL tests of the transportation department. THIS IS NOT A FAKE IDEA!

15+ Year Old Account
    i uhm, so, what are the estimated numbers of leds and stuff needed to build one panel extrapolated on every road of the US? i mean there´s got to be plastic and therefor oil involved in the process of making
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Did you miss the point? I think you did. Asphalt has petroleum in it, oil companies have petroleum, oil companies make money off of asphalt, oil companies won't want these otherwise really cool solar freaking roadways because they won't make any money off of them. Right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether this is viable comes down to cost - they can't provide cost data yet. Meh.

Plastic is oil. But I hear this idea before, pretty cool.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Did you miss the point? I think you did. Asphalt has petroleum in it, oil companies have petroleum, oil companies make money off of asphalt, oil companies won't want these otherwise really cool solar freaking roadways because they won't make any money off of them. Right?
    Yes, of course. But this is the greatest option for energy independence I've seen.. EVER!

It is certainly a very interesting idea. My question would be about how the solar panels are constructed. Normally a lot of rare earth minerals are required for the construction of residential and commercial panels. Would there be enough supply of said minerals to meet the tremendous demand an idea of this scope would require, and would it remain economically feasible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Great so cars run over glass, the glass breaks and crumbles and pops tires. Sounds wonderful to me! What we have now works great and is inexpensive. You tree huggers need to go away instead of grasping for straws, inventing cockamamie ideas and raising costs for all of us in the name of the environment
    It's not window glass... There are glasses out there which can easily hold the weight of cars. Cracking is not the problem, it's just how much stuff you'd need to make these solar roads. It's been thought of before, it's just hugely expensive an operation to undertake and takes colossal amounts of fossil fuels to make all the required plastics. And then there's maintenance...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Plastic is oil. But I hear this idea before, pretty cool.
    Not made out of plastic.. It is made out of RECYCLED Glass!

Deleted
    Seems pretty cool but not likely in the close future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, of course. But this is the greatest option for energy independence I've seen.. EVER!
    Think it's safe to say you've been caught on a hype train without having the full picture.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

yes but how much energy does it cost to produce and maintain this? I bet its more than the road will ever produce.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    It's not window glass... There are glasses out there which can easily hold the weight of cars. Cracking is not the problem, it's just how much stuff you'd need to make these solar roads. It's been thought of before, it's just hugely expensive an operation to undertake and takes colossal amounts of fossil fuels to make all the required plastics. And then there's maintenance...
    Hasn't been thought of like this though, it has already gone through two phases of government progression. It's passed with flying colors. It would create SO much more jobs and better for the WORLD's economy than the expense it would take.

- - - Updated - - -

15+ Year Old Account
    Not made out of plastic.. It is made out of RECYCLED Glass!
    yeah uhm, leds and the electronics inside the panels probably require a good amount of plastic
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see this being possible for say, interstate highways but for a city the size of Boston, Providence or Little Rock it's possible.

It all comes down to cost.

In comparison, more and more people are putting Solar Panels on their homes. The electricity generated from Solar Panels on just one house provides enough electricity to power an entire city block for a month. I might be a bit off with my figure without the data to back it up but Solar Energy is a renewable and clean energy source that can be maintained indefinitely.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D