Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Hmmm might be wrong but believe education is transmission of knowledge, but fiine, you are the native speaker after all

Yes, but it can also be a coping mechanism, there is only so much people are willing/capable to suffer, not to mention they might consider that they need to put up a strong front to encourage the people around/ones suffering, even if they would cry when alone.
    A level lof detachment is quite important in many cases, i only find lack of empathy problematic when its "systemic" in a society, such as when someone is beaten up in a street and no one gives a fuck/helps. or people being able to see people in suffering and blame them for it/not lend a hand... then again a lot of people took advantage of such situations so its not very surprising people are afraid of it being a scam/trap.

I understand that such attitudes seem to bother you and thus the harsh words towards such people, but in many cases i believe they have their own reasons, some people can remain empathetic and caring, others cant. Maybe if we drove our society from competitive to cooperative we could achieve better results?

I myself have been put in dangerous situations when trying to help others, never stopped me from doing it again... but there has been times i had to turn a blind eye to it as well.
    I think its possible, but that type of cooperative society would have to be self aware of our current limitations as humans based on traditions and ideologies. If that can spread slowly maybe then it will be passed down and become more widespread. Maybe it works like a wave and people cooperate, and then they don't going up and down. I know America was much more cooperative at different times in the 19'th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I think its possible, but that type of cooperative society would have to be self aware of our current limitations as humans based on traditions and ideologies. If that can spread slowly maybe then it will be passed down and become more widespread. Maybe it works like a wave and people cooperate, and then they don't going up and down. I know America was much more cooperative at different times in the 19'th century.
    part of social evolution, it will happen sooner or later, but might take a while for us to realize cooperation is better than competition in all regards.

e-screens are opiates for the masses, able to promote apathy by preventing the mind from staying on a single topic long enough to cause action.

Yes, apathy is inevitable as technology improves. You can't really care if your mind can't focus on the topic long enough.

We should help those in need without empathy. People feel good when they help somebody because they felt empathetic, but its sorta pretentious to act as if empathy will solve the worlds problems so therefore everyone should be empathetic. We do not need to understand the pain of others to aid them. In fact, acting upon empathy is a reflection of selfishness really. It's basically stating that you are only helping people because you feel bad for them and want to feel better, when we should really be helping people in spite of ourselves, in spite of our opinions and feelings and even apathy.

We should care for and love others without needing to be convinced of their state of 'suffering' or 'hardship'.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion people might eventually get numb to some issues, but by no means does that make them apathetic. I never turn on the news anymore because everything is just so depressing, however i do try and help the poor, volunteer when i can and I'm always willing to just sit down and listen to someone if they have a problem.

So to conclude, no. I don't think that all people eventually become apathetic.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" ~Einstein
    Wish more people would take that to heart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    We should help those in need without empathy. People feel good when they help somebody because they felt empathetic, but its sorta pretentious to act as if empathy will solve the worlds problems so therefore everyone should be empathetic. We do not need to understand the pain of others to aid them. In fact, acting upon empathy is a reflection of selfishness really. It's basically stating that you are only helping people because you feel bad for them and want to feel better, when we should really be helping people in spite of ourselves, in spite of our opinions and feelings and even apathy.

We should care for and love others without needing to be convinced of their state of 'suffering' or 'hardship'.
    Equally though, it doesn't matter your reasons for wanting to help someone. Anyone trying to say that they have "better reasons" for doing good can go suck a dick. It's like all those people who argue about giving to charity and like "Well, you're only doing it to make yourself FEEL BETTER" like what the fuck does it matter if I'm doing it totally selfishly. So long as people are getting the help that they need, who cares why I'm doing it? So long as it's not help with strings attached (Like, we'll feed your poor, but only if you convert to X religion, as has happened in the past)

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post

Empathy is going exist so much as apathy does, but I do think your taking what I said out of context. Both sides are fully capable of doing everything the other can as far as good and bad acts, and they are both beneficial to society. I've gotten my answer and I'm glad I studied it, but I'll always say empathy is better because that's my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Empathy is in my opinion the answer to most issues involving humanity. So my question is apathy eventually inevitable in human beings? Even by being consciously aware I slip.
    You are getting very philosophical about something that is essentially biochemical.

This goes a long way explaining why we do things and why apathy and empathy are a thing and how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You are getting very philosophical about something that is essentially biochemical.

This goes a long way explaining why we do things and why apathy and empathy are a thing and how they work.
    I will watch it, but where was I getting philosophical? I'm all for a fair observation.

Deleted
    I would probably care more if i wasnt bombarded 24/7 by media trying to make me care about different shapes of nothingness. The cup can only fill to a certain level before it spills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

Well, this explains exactly how I wish to have things, but It's not always tangible. I like his chemical analysis on the subject it is insightful. Though you would still need willing people. I'm not convinced yet that is just an educational thing.