Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Talking about the Old Ones?

Don't make me get my gun.
    I am willing to bet this would get more box office success, and be more bad ass...
    http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2...2-21-helmo.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, don't take film versions as anything. Read the original Lovecraft. It isn't possible to film most of his stuff. The entire point of his vision was describing things which break reality in ways the human mind cannot handle. Which doesn't mean "cool CGI", it means seeing a 6 foot tall man who towers over the moon (not one of his examples). "But that doesn't make sense", you'll say. That's the point. It cannot make sense, and yet it is true, and that's what drives your brain out your ears when confronted by it.

Hell, even Lovecraft doesn't usually put you in the head of someone witnessing this stuff. He has them recalling it, or reading to maddened writings of someone who did.
    I think it also has to do with his voice...

I need to find that Adam Sessler vid where Adam was talking about some Cthulu based game when G4 was all about games.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Johnny Cash rises from his grave to sings songs about Cthulhu, maybe I'll care.

http://youtu.be/k9IfHDi-2EA

Until that, I'll stick to the classics and await Ragnarok...

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, don't take film versions as anything. Read the original Lovecraft. It isn't possible to film most of his stuff. The entire point of his vision was describing things which break reality in ways the human mind cannot handle. Which doesn't mean "cool CGI", it means seeing a 6 foot tall man who towers over the moon (not one of his examples). "But that doesn't make sense", you'll say. That's the point. It cannot make sense, and yet it is true, and that's what drives your brain out your ears when confronted by it.

Hell, even Lovecraft doesn't usually put you in the head of someone witnessing this stuff. He has them recalling it, or reading to maddened writings of someone who did.
    But he is so cute!!!!

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Part of Call of Cthulhu reads,

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.”

The human mind is limited. Some people play with theoretical physics and some people can't balance their checkbooks. Perhaps Cthulhu is an entity of truth, not an entity of corruption. Looking into Cthulhu could awaken the mind, sweeping away all preconceived notions and laying bare all the comforting lies and deceptions that people wrap themselves up in. It's like in the crime dramas where a suspect is forced to face what they did and have a mental breakdown.

We should welcome Lord Cthulhu, for he brings us truth and helps us to understand all things. Only the unworthy will be crushed by his revelations and be driven to madness.

I do hope it is Cthulhu who ends the world. The true believers will have the last laugh when all those who mocked the Flying Spaghetti Monster are sent to a dark oblivion first.
    tl;dr Is just another way of saying I am about to troll

i mean its pretty obvious, every mythology says the god/gods/goddess wanna bang us. the aliens will also wanna bang us.

thats how we will survive. by flirting with them.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo42 View Post
    We should welcome Lord Cthulhu, for he brings us truth and helps us to understand all things. Only the unworthy will be crushed by his revelations and be driven to madness.
    All of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i mean its pretty obvious, every mythology says the god/gods/goddess wanna bang us. the aliens will also wanna bang us.

thats how we will survive. by flirting with them.
    So that means.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sirvi View Post
    Prep your anus, its gonna be a long ride

7+ Year Old Account
    Some of the worst part of it, if you turn Lovecraftian fiction to the side, and look at it thru quantum physics/molecular biology/multidimensional physics.......take for example, the Shoggoth. A machine, made up of an atomic structure, only loosely resembling a jellyfish. Or the idea, that Azathoth- the being supposedly at the center of the universe-alien singularity? Or the fact that, to the "Lovecraftians" our planet is perfect. Pacific Rim had it perfect-only thing is, the humans had plot protection. Reality would have been a wipe.[IMG]http://31.media.tumblr.com/1b665f3d1...hf4ho1_500.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Bartumus22; 2014-06-24 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    So being the bored, addicted to Sci Fi fiction that I am, and having read a discertaition on quantom physics(the universe is so large that all things must be possible), I re-visited my dusty collection of Cthullu Mythos novels, and quickly peed my pants. So lets do a check-list, shall we? Class-3(4?) Civilization, check. Ability to move armies, weapons, whole civilizations thru other dimensions, check. Use of technology alien and unfathomable to us, check. To quote Nick Fury "Not only are we not alone, we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned!" Yeeowtch. And, if current scientific minds have the right of it-hawking, and such-it's kinda inevitable we'll meet and alien race. I guess my point is, what could we do in the face -or faceless-of an invasion? We'd be screwed. Thoughts. Smart guys, give me your stats. Sci-fi guys, add info, or de-bunk me, please. And to those of you who've never read Ctulhu?? ehh...if youve got an extra change of undies.
    That's not quantum physics, that's quantum mysticism.
    That's not really what Hawking says.

Enjoy science fiction and horror all you want, I know I do. But don't conflate science fiction with science. It's not "sci-fi" guys who debunk things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post

Enjoy science fiction and horror all you want, I know I do. But don't conflate science fiction with science. It's not "sci-fi" guys who debunk things.
    true enough. Read my last post, and tell me what a class 4 civilsation would resemble.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I never understood why Cthulu should be any scarier than any other cosmic evil being.
    He's an evil character who cheats. Essentially. The biggest thing for villains and that is that there's always a way to beat them. With him, it's impossible. Before you can even think about it, he's melting your brain for even being on the same planet as you in his physical form.

The problem with approaching the idea of an invading alien species, if that's what we're discussing here, is that you're looking at it from a "fight harder" perspective. Technologically they likely would have an edge, so a defending force would have to rely on fighting smarter. Use of psychology, biology and environmental factors become important in such things. When you can't overpower someone with force you have to out think them and out maneuver them.

Approaching the problem from a defeatist perspective is a sure way to lose and be destroyed or enslaved.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirvi View Post
    Prep your anus, its gonna be a long ride
    Sounds like a good time. Nothing I like better than a long ride in the anus!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    Sounds like a good time. Nothing I like better than a long ride in the anus!
    Thats...nice...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwiez View Post

Theoretically speaking anything is possible, there are only so many combinations atoms can go into before they become a copy and you start seeing multiple realities in the same universe, I remember awhile ago seeing a video about this and it stated that there may be multiple planets geographically similar to Earth they are just to far away for us to reach.

Also talking about the giant robot Jellyfish at the center of the universe reminds me of this,
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2014-06-24 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    The problem with approaching the idea of an invading alien species, if that's what we're discussing here, is that you're looking at it from a "fight harder" perspective. Technologically they likely would have an edge, so a defending force would have to rely on fighting smarter. Use of psychology, biology and environmental factors become important in such things. When you can't overpower someone with force you have to out think them and out maneuver them.

Approaching the problem from a defeatist perspective is a sure way to lose and be destroyed or enslaved.
    We're a class 1 civilization. They're class 3. At least. Class 4? Forget it.

I hope we make it to type 2 civilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually we are just below a Class 1 Civilization, it's close though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Actually we are just below a Class 1 Civilization, it's close though.
    My point. Any civilization that can manipulate reality to that extent, would laugh at our meager attempts to hold them off.